PDA

View Full Version : Interplanar Travels

Kyjibo
2007-06-24, 10:16 PM
I picked up the Tome of Magic a while back and while working on an adventure I decided I would use the map for the "Vault of Catharandamus" (map on page 278 for those of you with the book) a component of this dungeon is a "planar tear where the plane of shadow connects to the material plane"
would it be possible for a PC to climb down the chasm wall and eventually end up upside down on the other side in the shadow plane, or even just cast fly and go through?
What does crossing a planar boundary like this entail?

Are there any particular items or knowledge I might want to set the PCs up with to prevent a Mass PK:smallamused:?

I plan on picking up the Planar handbook later this week, are there any other books that might help with DMing an adventure where planar travels are possible?

-thanks

Jimp
2007-06-24, 10:37 PM
The Manual of the Planes is what you're looking for. It's much more DM orientated and is full of information about planar properties and locations. It is 3.0 but there's a 3.5 update on the wizards site. The Planar Handbook is far more player orientated and doesn't have as much solid information.
Generally, crossing a planar boundary is just like walking form one room to another. There is little complication involved unless the DM or setting says so. Again, these kind of details are all covered in the Manual of the Planes.

Jade_Tarem
2007-06-24, 11:16 PM
The plane of shadow is not the best place to try to avoid Player deaths. If you know what I mean. :smallamused:

Other than that, "it" entails whatever you want it to. You're the DM, and it's your perogative (and responsibility) to come up with flavor. Some typical options are:

- A portal opens when the PC touches the planar shifting object/fissure, allowing them to walk through. The portal-generating object may or may not be consumed in the process.

- The PC experiences a sense of unreality/reality being twisted/issues with their stomach, and then just ends up on the other plane.

- Pain may or may not be a factor.

- The PC cannot cross into the tear until he/she holds some other item in the room.

That kind of thing.

Although most planar transitions run along those lines, you may want to do something truly wacky. It's all up to you. :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2007-06-25, 12:46 PM
If you want to be really fun/mean, don't directly tell them that they have crossed into another plane, especially since it's the plane of shadows. Plane of Shadows is co-terminus with the Prime, so everywhere that's in the Prime, exists in the PoS. Except that the PoS is slightly warped and reality is kind of bent there, oh, and just about everything is in greyscale. Then you start throwing in some subtly shifts so that the PCs can kind of pick up on things. The kind of creeping "I don't think we are in Kansas anymore, Toto" Man, that would be fun. Right before the swarm of shadows attack.

Rumda
2007-06-25, 01:28 PM
If you want to be really fun/mean, don't directly tell them that they have crossed into another plane, especially since it's the plane of shadows. Plane of Shadows is co-terminus with the Prime, so everywhere that's in the Prime, exists in the PoS. Except that the PoS is slightly warped and reality is kind of bent there, oh, and just about everything is in greyscale. Then you start throwing in some subtly shifts so that the PCs can kind of pick up on things. The kind of creeping "I don't think we are in Kansas anymore, Toto" Man, that would be fun. Right before the swarm of shadows attack.

or if you want to really mess with there minds, consider this in the manual of the planes it says that there is only one plane of shadows and that you can travel form prime to prime via it...