PDA

View Full Version : How does one make a homonculus?

Segev
2016-05-04, 08:02 AM
I recently got the DMG and MM, and noticed that the homunculus specifically discusses how it's a created creature, meant to serve one master, and has cool sense-sharing abilities (better than prior editions' versions), and in general why it would be nifty to build. However, unlike prior editions, and even unlike the golems (which now expressly require the Manual of Golem Creation), I see no rules - not even vague guidelines - on how to create one. What should it cost? What should one have to do to "earn" one?

Are there any such guidelines that I missed? Or is this one of those things that 5e kind-of punts on on the theory that the DM should just make something up and give the PCs one if he feels like it?

Joe the Rat
2016-05-04, 08:23 AM
Add Crawling Hands and Flameskulls to the list of "made creatures without a way to make them"

The implication is there is a formula to make them, akin to magic items (which is a DM discretion thing).
Costs... are a total punt. I've got an idea of what I'd make things cost, but that's purely opinion.

Inevitability
2016-05-04, 08:26 AM
RAW the only way is through True Polymorph.

Giant2005
2016-05-04, 08:26 AM
One makes a Homonculus by washing one's DM's car.

Elbacone
2016-05-04, 08:34 AM
Either with Alchemy I assume and the appropriate schematic.

I homebrewed it with my DM as a familiar and gave it 2 Int, removed the poison attack, the telepathy and gave it advantage on Wisdom (perception) checks.

Archmage_Storm
2016-05-04, 08:38 AM
It says in the description it takes a ritual that involves a ritual that uses mandrake root, clay, and blood. The mandrake root in legend would scream when pulled from the ground, Killing those near it. Therefore why not make the legend true for a fantasy world.
Therefore if you want to make a homunculus, go for it. Pull that root out. Make that Constitution saving throw to not drop to 0 hp.

KorvinStarmast
2016-05-04, 08:44 AM
RAW the only way is through True Polymorph. Not quite. RAW is unspecified beyond what is laid out in the MM.
Per the rules of this edition, the general rule of "work with the DM" is the rule that applies if a player wants to make one. (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/76643/22566)

That creature/construct arrives in the game via the MM (and not as a spell) then how it comes into being as a construct wasn't specified.

Segev
2016-05-04, 08:48 AM
Thanks, guys. I was afraid of that.

While I appreciate 5e's desire to put things in the hands of DMs and divorce from the legalistic RAW of 3e, I think the lack of guidelines for how PCs can interact with the aspects of the game that involve that which is "made" is a serious flaw and step backwards.

Up side: The answer to "how do I get one?" is "ask your DM," which it always has been (and anybody who says "no, I just use the rules provided and he has to give it to me" is kidding themselves).

Down side: If the DM asks, "Well, how do you make one?" you can't even give him guidelines; he's on his own to make something up, and if he's not a master of game balance/design, he may well not know how to judge what is appropriate for what you're asking.

Ironically, there ARE sufficient guidelines for making Manuals of Golems that a player can show the DM his plan for doing it, and the DM can decide whether to allow it or not. Sadly, there are not for these other things. :smallmad:

kaoskonfety
2016-05-04, 08:48 AM
One makes a Homonculus by washing one's DM's car.

I do not drive, so an appropriate sacrifice of cupcakes will do.

More seriously it's a bit better than an off the shelf familiar for several things and you can probably make more than one, so the materials costs would be in the 100 gp in reusable reagents, 100 in expended and one rare/annoying/quest-y component - lets say an outsiders skull (celestial, fiend, fae), I'd probably make it a level 2 or 3 ritual spell on all the arcane caster lists with a 12 hour casting time...

Mileage will of course vary and the cost/spell level/it being a enchant formula instead, I'd be open to discuss

KorvinStarmast
2016-05-04, 08:51 AM
Thanks, guys. I was afraid of that.
Then read here, if you need someone else to do the work for you. (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/76643/22566)

It provides a range of lore, from 5e and other editions, and then the analysis of some "In Edition" methods and bounds to approach the making of this construct.
I think one of them will suit you and your world.

(The create magic item path is probably the way to go in 5e).

Gastronomie
2016-05-04, 08:52 AM
It says in the description it takes a ritual that involves a ritual that uses mandrake root, clay, and blood. The mandrake root in legend would scream when pulled from the ground, Killing those near it. Therefore why not make the legend true for a fantasy world.
Therefore if you want to make a homunculus, go for it. Pull that root out. Make that Constitution saving throw to not drop to 0 hp.Or you could cast Deafness upon yourself? I dunno, there's probably a lot of good ways to get past the mandrake.

Segev
2016-05-04, 08:55 AM
More seriously it's a bit better than an off the shelf familiar for several things and you can probably make more than one

It's somewhere between a familiar and a Pact of the Chain familiar in utility, and has the benefit of being able to co-exist with a familiar.

It does expressly state that you can't have more than one, in 5e. You also can't make them for others, the way you could in 1e, 2e, and 3e. (Not sure about 4e.)

In 3e, you could theoretically have a small army of them, and make them for your friends. They also had a limited range (IIRC, 1 mile) at which they functioned; outside that, they neither shared senses back to you nor could act at all. They can operate at any range on the same plane of existence. But you can only have one of them, and you can only have it if you make it for yourself. HOW you make it is...not specified. Whereas even 1e had a pretty solid formula for it. Hence my complaint that this is a step backwards beyond any "corrections" for 3e's over-legalism.

KorvinStarmast
2016-05-04, 08:57 AM
It's somewhere between a familiar and a Pact of the Chain familiar in utility, and has the benefit of being able to co-exist with a familiar.
With the added feature of being a construct. :smallcool:

Segev
2016-05-04, 08:57 AM
Then read here, if you need someone else to do the work for you. (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/76643/22566)

It provides a range of lore, from 5e and other editions, and then the analysis of some "In Edition" methods and bounds to approach the making of this construct.
I think one of them will suit you and your world.

(The create magic item path is probably the way to go in 5e).

I appreciate the link, but not the snark. I can probably cobble together something, if I wanted to. I have 3e, 2e, and 1e as guideposts. I just think it bad form for 5e to give less than 1e did on this front.

Of course, I suppose there's always the Sage background's "Researcher" feature to use as a hook to get into it. "Hey, I want to build one. Do I know how? No? Where can I go to learn?"

Dr. Cliché
2016-05-04, 08:58 AM
Play 3.5. :smallwink:

KorvinStarmast
2016-05-04, 09:00 AM
I appreciate the link, but not the snark.
OK, sorry about the snark. Been grumpy lately.

Joe the Rat
2016-05-04, 09:27 AM
Of course, I suppose there's always the Sage background's "Researcher" feature to use as a hook to get into it. "Hey, I want to build one. Do I know how? No? Where can I go to learn?"Or the Hermit's Discovery.

Now I want to play a Rock Gnome Hermit Wizard who's figured out how to make biomechanical homonculi.

tieren
2016-05-04, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty sure you just get one wet (and don't feed it after midnight)

Giant2005
2016-05-04, 09:47 AM
More seriously it's a bit better than an off the shelf familiar for several things

It is also considerably worse in some respects (not being able to cast touch spells through it is a pretty big deal).
Personally, I'd much rather have an owl - flyby plus the ability to cast touch spells through it is far more powerful than anything the Homonculus brings to the table.
I'd just make a spell that is exactly the same as Find Familiar, except it creates a Homonculus (and has homonculus abilities rather than familiar abilities) rather than summoning a familiar. I'd also add the caveat that you can either have a Homonculus or a Familiar, but not both.

Temperjoke
2016-05-04, 09:54 AM
https://youtu.be/_2Oiy3Z2m0c

You'll want a philosopher's stone or someone to sacrifice as well.

Regitnui
2016-05-04, 10:17 AM
Depends if the player wants to make a quest out of it or not.

This (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/174669/THE-ARTIFICER-5e-Class-) DM's Guild supplement might be a good place to start. It has some creation rules which boil down to something similar to the 3.5 artificer's homunculus. It calls it a Runic Golem.

Daishain
2016-05-04, 11:39 AM
Well, here's the rules from 3.5E on the subject:

A homunculus is shaped from a mixture of clay, ashes, mandrake root, spring water, and one pint of the creator’s own blood. The materials cost 50 gp. The creature’s master may assemble the body or hire someone else to do the job. Creating the body requires a DC 12 Craft (sculpting) check or a DC 12 Craft (pottery) check.

After the body is sculpted, it is animated through an extended magical ritual that requires a specially prepared laboratory or workroom, similar to an alchemist’s laboratory and costing 500 gp to establish. If the creator is personally constructing the creature’s body, the building and ritual can be performed together.

A homunculus with more than 2 Hit Dice can be created, but each additional Hit Die adds +2,000 gp to the cost to create.

Craft Construct, arcane eye, mirror image, mending, caster must be at least 4th level; Price — (never sold); Cost 1,050 gp + 78 XP.

Not too difficult to adapt. an easy tool check to craft the body followed by a ritual with expensive material components performed in a carefully prepared workplace.