PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next DM Commissioned Whip Feat [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2016-05-04, 11:50 AM
Whip Mastery

Among those who carry a whip, your use of the weapon exceeds most. You may use a whip to do the following:
- You learn the Disarming Attack maneuver and gain 3 Superiority Dice which are d4s. You regain any expended superiority dice over a short or long rest.
- You can attempt to use your whip to get around basic obstacles, such as pit traps, by swinging across, or triggering it from afar.
- While you are wielding a whip, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack when they enter your reach.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-05-04, 02:45 PM
I think the disarming rules you've written are a little bit weird, but other than that, it looks fine.

How about this:

You gain the Disarming Attack maneuver (PH, pg. 74), and gain 3 Superiority dice, which are d4s.

It's more streamlined than the rules you wrote (no offense).

Also, context for the purposes of this feat would be nice.

DracoKnight
2016-05-04, 02:52 PM
I think the disarming rules you've written are a little bit weird, but other than that, it looks fine.

Excellent

How about this:

You gain the Disarming Attack maneuver (PH, pg. 74), and gain 3 Superiority dice, which are d4s.

Oh, right. I totally forgot to look at maneuvers. Thanks :smallsmile:

It's more streamlined than the rules you wrote (no offense).

None Taken.

Also, context for the purposes of this feat would be nice.

One of the people in my group wants to play a rouge that uses the PAM and Sentinel strategy, but there's no way for a Rogue to do so and still get Sneak Attack, so the DM figured the much lower damage die of the whip was a fair trade off for allowing a rogue to do this. The disarming and trap avoidance are just gravy.

Requiemforlust
2016-05-04, 03:08 PM
Love the concept, just one gripe: traps don't have CRs... :smalltongue:

Maybe, make the DC = your investigation roll to find it - your to hit bonus? Or would that make it too easy?

DracoKnight
2016-05-04, 03:39 PM
Love the concept, just one gripe: traps don't have CRs... :smalltongue:

Oh, okay. Welp, hmmmmm...

Maybe, make the DC = your investigation roll to find it - your to hit bonus? Or would that make it too easy?

I think that would definitely make it too easy :smalltongue:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-05-04, 03:44 PM
I would also tack a prereq onto this feat: proficiency with whips. It makes sense, you can't be a god tier whip user if you don't know how to use 'em :smalltongue:

EDIT: It's also really stupid that Rogues don't get whip proficiency. What good are they for, if not sneak attacking at a 10ft. range? Otherwise there's not a huge use for them - it's not like a DEX fighter could use them with TWF...

Foxhound438
2016-05-05, 08:04 PM
the trap avoidance part seems like something that a grappling hook and some rope would do.

Final Hyena
2016-05-06, 06:04 AM
- You can attempt to use your whip to get around basic obstacles, such as pit traps, by swinging across, or triggering it from afar.
This feels like something many DMs would allow without the feat.