PDA

View Full Version : Help me build the perfect Outsider (no cheese, unless it has 65+% fat^^)

GrayDeath
2016-05-04, 12:13 PM
Now if you`re still here after the funny title, let me ask you to help me.

First: this is not urgent, it wont become urgent for another month or so, so if you need to take your time to post, do so.
I prefer quality help. ^^

A local Old Aquaintance has agreed to run a short D&D Campaign some time late June/early July, where he allows "exotic and unusual stuff, as long as its not cheese".
After consulting with him I decided to play something I haven`t played ever: A RHD+LA Outsider.

The Basics: everything offering RHD+LA of less than 9 is allowed (if official in D&D or, preferable, pathfinder, slight Homebrew is allowed if cheese-free).
We will be starting t lvl 6, the rest of the party is OK with me being "ahead" early on.
We expect to play until around level 12-14 (at most).

Class Levels are allowed, but I`d prefer starting with a "pure" Outsider (or Fey as alternative). Casters will of course be sub-optimum, although he hinted at accepting the existing HD to count for the Class if fitting (for Example a Devil Warlock or somesuch).

What I want: flexibility, at least some Tricks/SLAs, ideally something other Party members cannot do (yet). A good Amount of Power will be appreciated.

What I do not want: Demons (simply can`t really play Chaotic Evil well), being small, being ugly/gross.

Preferences: these are less important than the above.
I like playing Devils/Halfdevils quite a bit, I really dont like LN stuff but unlike CE I could live with it.
I would prefer soemthing imposing.

Other than that, go wild! Hit me!

Gildedragon
2016-05-04, 12:20 PM
Perfection is an odd metric.
I mean a simple outsider that is amazing is Aasimar into cleric

The Djinn descended halfling into Sha'ir

But I feel you want outsider to count for more than that... and the [extraplanar] descriptor
So couple questions: a) what role do you want? b) what is the party makeup? c) what is the campaign tone?

For cool and odd you could take Jann racial levels... It isn't that fancy but you get good stats and you can be the party convoy into other planes

For caster: Rakshasa! Level up as sorcerer, get cool powers, be a dude with a cat head! Have them be redeemed if you want N or G

Flickerdart
2016-05-04, 12:29 PM
For fey, look no further than the gloura (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e). 7 RHD, 2 LA, 7th level bard casting, CHA to saves and AC, flight. Unless "less than 9" is exclusive, this seems to hit all your desires.

If ECL9 is in, xills (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/xill.htm) are a good choice too. Four arms means you can dual-wield bows, or quad-wield swords.

Mephits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mephit.htm#airMephit) are within your reach - flight, swim speeds (on some of them), fast healing, and some SLAs make them decent.

A shadow mastiff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shadowMastiff.htm) technically has an LA only if it's a cohort, but if you can play this, it's pretty awesome - a 300ft radius fear attack and almost constant total concealment are nothing to scoff at.

GrayDeath
2016-05-04, 12:55 PM
Perfection is an odd metric.
I mean a simple outsider that is amazing is Aasimar into cleric

The Djinn descended halfling into Sha'ir

But I feel you want outsider to count for more than that... and the [extraplanar] descriptor
So couple questions: a) what role do you want? b) what is the party makeup? c) what is the campaign tone?

For cool and odd you could take Jann racial levels... It isn't that fancy but you get good stats and you can be the party convoy into other planes

For caster: Rakshasa! Level up as sorcerer, get cool powers, be a dude with a cat head! Have them be redeemed if you want N or G

The Party will contain 4 Characters, only one of which (a guy that always plays variations of CLeric and has agreed to be neutral this time) is fixed.
So aside from the Main Caster, all is open.
I would prefer something not too fragile and, as I said, imposing.

The Campaign will include quite a bit of planar travel and has been hinted at being a bit humorous but also rather hard.

The Rakshasa is not a bad Idea. thx. ;)

For fey, look no further than the gloura (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e). 7 RHD, 2 LA, 7th level bard casting, CHA to saves and AC, flight. Unless "less than 9" is exclusive, this seems to hit all your desires.

If ECL9 is in, xills (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/xill.htm) are a good choice too. Four arms means you can dual-wield bows, or quad-wield swords.

Mephits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mephit.htm#airMephit) are within your reach - flight, swim speeds (on some of them), fast healing, and some SLAs make them decent.

A shadow mastiff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shadowMastiff.htm) technically has an LA only if it's a cohort, but if you can play this, it's pretty awesome - a 300ft radius fear attack and almost constant total concealment are nothing to scoff at.

Well, that Fey sounds cool (but the Pic us buck ugly^^).

I ahte Mephits, and no, no Dog Player, thank you.

Gildedragon
2016-05-04, 12:59 PM
Re: on the Rakshasa suggestion
I couldn't find the official class for it (on phone)
But there is some homebrew that isn't bad at all and not particularly overpowered. At 6 you'd cast as a lvl 4 sorcerer but practiced spellcaster can bump your CL up.
If you went that route I'd go for shadowcraft mage, and use the Restricted Sorcery flaw to ditch evocation and abjuration or conjuration, focus on enchantments and illusions... don't ditch necromancy, have a skeleton butler

ATHATH
2016-05-04, 01:06 PM
If you want Bardic Music to go with the Gloura's spellcasting, dip into Heartfire Fanner. Its first level won't advance your spellcasting (due to a rules technicality, you'd need a level of Bard for HF to advance your spellcasting), but it will boost up your BM significantly. I think that you can enter Sublime Chord after that dip, by the way.

Flickerdart
2016-05-04, 01:52 PM
At 6 you'd cast as a lvl 4 sorcerer but practiced spellcaster can bump your CL up.
LA aren't HD, so no it can't.

Gildedragon
2016-05-04, 01:59 PM
LA aren't HD, so no it can't.
You can with the monster class. It doesn't have LA... It has null levels*. And I encourage the OP to look into the homebrew monster classes which are better balanced for PC play

*which, if they count as LA one can probably buy them off as they come (provided they are spread out enough: I don't remember if this is the case for the Rakshasa)

GrayDeath
2016-05-05, 12:03 PM
Where would I find these?

And @ all: keep the ideas/suggestions coming, as Is aid, no hurry. More is clearly better this time!

Thank you.

Deadline
2016-05-05, 12:18 PM
Well, you could also go the route of a lower powered Outsider that is advanced up to the level you want. The Miniatures Handbook has the Protectar, which has 2RHD+3LA. You can advance it up to 6RHD+3LA, at which point it becomes Large.

Inevitability
2016-05-05, 12:19 PM
Where would I find these?

You mean the monster classes? They're in Savage Species, with a few other progressions in Libris Mortis, online, and in a handful of random books.

GrayDeath
2016-05-07, 07:00 AM
Hmm, dont ahve those, need to check them.

Still very much open for other Suggestions, people! :sabine:

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-07, 08:19 AM
Musteval from book of exalted deeds. It is tiny, BUT you get to play as a ferret. 2 hd and 5 la, but again, FERRET! Did I mention ferret yet? Also at will magic missile at cl 3.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-05-07, 11:52 AM
Savage Species has a pile of payable outsiders. Trumpet Archon and Ghaele Eldar in both have cleric casting so you may want to avoid that. The Astral Deva is decently rounded early on and has SLA as opposed to spells, plus it is cool.

GrayDeath
2016-05-09, 05:20 PM
Seems I really need to get savage Species somehow...all these suggestions. ^^