PDA

View Full Version : Turning a Magic Item Into a Graft?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-05-04, 12:48 PM
Is there any way to permanently attach a magic item to one's character, thereby turning it into an actual body part?

I know warforged have the option to turn any slotted item into a warforged component, thus making it impossible to remove against their will so long as they're conscious, but is there any way to do something similar with a non-warforged?

I suppose you could turn something into a warforged component and UMD your race as warforged by RAW, but it doesn't work very well fluff-wise (like trying to plug a plasma screen TV into a pixie), which could easily put the kibosh on any attempt to do so. That, and I'd like to actually be able to count such magic items as actual body parts, which can be regenerated and healed up if damaged. It'd make for some nice racial customization in exchange for money.

Gildedragon
2016-05-04, 01:21 PM
There are three ways I can think of

1: get a warforged graft and build on that
2: combine the graft and the magic item (both are magic items) as per MIC and DMG rules
3: Allow it. Item cannot ever be sold. Limb must be regrafted on if somehow lost. If destroyed, the item attached to the graft is destroyed (just as if your arm was destroyed your gauntlet would be too). If the limb itself was the magic item, and part of it is still attached it can be rebuilt from that. Magic property isn't lost but suppressed in the graftee, removed portion can be used to make a new (identical) graft at 75% cost, but isn't magic in and of itself.

The facts that the item cannot be used by anyone else, and that it can't be removed mitigate the difficulty of it being stealable. Item slots are used up as normal: multiple effects on the, say, arm are treated as either slotless items or are tied into bracers or gauntlets (in which case bracers or gauntlets can't be used on top of the graft) and unslotted items that are put into slots (say rod of ropes into gauntlets to spiderman around) ought have their price reduced by either a quarter or half, depending on their changes in utility (rod of ropes, for example: if the ranged attack with the rope acts as normal: half off; if it is boosted by your unarmed strike damage (str, monkness...): only -25%. I'd allow the item to be got twice for each side if it using a slot (again with rod of ropes, one on each hand: cost of a normal rod, even with minor enhancements by virtue of being a body part)

One could be more punitive, demanding the character sacrifice some amount of their physical scores (at least 2 points) into the graft. The ability score must make sense for the graft position and type (str or dex for arms or legs; wis for eyes or ears; con or cha for any) and the graft gives (in addition to all other effects) an equal untyped (but magical) bonus to that ability score. If the graft is ever suppressed or sundered or disabled (disable device DC equal to 15+character level?) or rendered useless, the bonus goes away (lowering the character's ability scores). One could also build in a limit to how many grafts one can get by demanding that (in addition to other costs) one invest also a minimum of 1 con or cha, (item also replaces it with a magical, untyped, bonus) if either stat ever hits 0, character is too much machine and gets NPCED.
I figure with this one heals as warforged (healing spells are only partially effective: figure between 4/5 and 1/2 depending on how many grafts) or maybe track graft hp separately (boosted by however much con the PC invests in it?)

Necroticplague
2016-05-04, 02:23 PM
Is there any way to permanently attach a magic item to one's character, thereby turning it into an actual body part?

I know warforged have the option to turn any slotted item into a warforged component, thus making it impossible to remove against their will so long as they're conscious, but is there any way to do something similar with a non-warforged?

I suppose you could turn something into a warforged component and UMD your race as warforged by RAW, but it doesn't work very well fluff-wise (like trying to plug a plasma screen TV into a pixie), which could easily put the kibosh on any attempt to do so. That, and I'd like to actually be able to count such magic items as actual body parts, which can be regenerated and healed up if damaged. It'd make for some nice racial customization in exchange for money.

1. If the magic item in question is a weapon, there's a graft that lets you replace a hand with a weapon.
2. You could get a Mighty Arms graft, then build the relevant magic items as a component for the arm or hand slot.
3. You could use Sculpt Self and re-fluff it as you doing this.

Theobod
2016-05-05, 03:39 AM

In my SciFi game (see Sig) I allow exactly this, characters with cybernetic replacements get to use Components and ones with biological giblets use the same rules but call them implants and they take longer to install and can't be ejected as a standard action but otherwise identical. Can't interchange, something is either made as standard, implant or component by design from the ground up. Healing them isn't covered by the above though, maybe make them out of something living like plants and fluff them as symbionts?

Thurbane
2016-05-05, 08:08 PM
Sovereign Glue? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#sovereignGlue)

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-05-05, 08:23 PM
Sovereign Glue? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#sovereignGlue)Unfortunately, the designers were morons and decided that Elmer's super glue is somehow magical, meaning it can be dispelled and dissolves in an antimagic field spell.

ShurikVch
2016-05-07, 03:44 AM
I wonder: if magic item made from some special material - will it's properties apply to the grafted body?

Necroticplague
2016-05-07, 06:48 AM
I wonder: if magic item made from some special material - will it's properties apply to the grafted body?

Unless it explicitly says so, no. Grafting an ghost touch weapon to your body doesn't make you incorporeal.

ShurikVch
2016-05-07, 06:57 AM
Unless it explicitly says so, no. Grafting an ghost touch weapon to your body doesn't make you incorporeal.Incorrect example is incorrect:
1) The "ghost touch" is not a special material;
2) ghost touch weapon is not necessary incorporeal.

Necroticplague
2016-05-07, 09:07 AM
Incorrect example is incorrect:
1) The "ghost touch" is not a special material;
2) ghost touch weapon is not necessary incorporeal.

1. It's a property of some materials (i.e, all ectoplasm objects are inherently Ghost Touch in nature, as per Ghostwalk).
2. It is whenever it would be most beneficial to the wielder.

At worst, my example was irrelevant, not false. My statement of "grafting a ghost touch weapon to your body doesn't make you incorporeal" is true, it's just possibly irrelevant to the question.

Anyway, for something equally ridiculous, but more directly on point: No. Grafting a Riverine weapon to yourself doesn't make you immune to damage. The logic is the same as the previous one: it doesn't say any properties of the weapon extend beyond it, so it doesn't.

Âmesang
2016-05-07, 05:09 PM
On the one hand I'm picturing a character grafting a +X fleshgrinding sword to his arm ("Groovy."), but then there's this bit:

"When this piercing or slashing melee weapon deals damage to a living creature, the wielder may command the weapon to 'grind' as a free action. At that time, the wielder lets go of the weapon and it continues, magically animated, to grind itself into the foe’s flesh."

So would said graft immediately come apart, then? :smallconfused:

Necroticplague
2016-05-07, 07:03 PM
On the one hand I'm picturing a character grafting a +X fleshgrinding sword to his arm ("Groovy."), but then there's this bit:

"When this piercing or slashing melee weapon deals damage to a living creature, the wielder may command the weapon to 'grind' as a free action. At that time, the wielder lets go of the weapon and it continues, magically animated, to grind itself into the foe’s flesh."

So would said graft immediately come apart, then? :smallconfused:

I imagine it would be a bit like a bee's stinger. You still have the modification to the flesh that forms the graft, though, so you should be able to use a Regenerate spell (or the Regeneration ability) to re-grow it.

daremetoidareyo
2016-05-08, 01:17 AM
Weapon Graft: While most grafts are living tissue attached to another living body, a weapon graft is exactly what the name suggests: a normal, masterwork, or magic melee weapon grafted onto the hand of a thrall so it is never unarmed. The weapon actually becomes a natural weapon, though its other properties are unchanged. The grafted creature receives a +1 bonus on all attack and damage rolls with the weapon, as long as it is proficient with the weapon. However, it cannot use the hand with the graft for anything but combat, and it takes a –2 penalty on all skill checks requiring the use of hands.
Prerequisites: Graft Flesh, creator must be an illithid; Market Price: weapon price + 1,000 gp.

This should answer your question. The answer is yes.