PDA

View Full Version : Equipping an NPC Assassin

Afgncaap5
2016-05-04, 12:48 PM
So, I'm trying to figure out how to equip an NPC Assassin to be a fair and fun fight for a number of 5th level players, ones moderately skilled enough to fight things a CR or two higher than they are. For story purposes I'd like this assassin to be able to get away. I'm leaning toward the base class being a Rogue or possibly Swordsage with a focus on the Desert Wind ability, and for the assassin itself to be treated as a sphere caster with a variation of the Flame-Blooded casting tradition (from Spheres of Power) instead of a spell caster.

It's also tempting to give the assassin at least a +1 Flaming Dagger which... might already be stretching what NPCs in the 6-8 level range have.

Ultimately, I'm trying to equip him to be "flavorful" and "capable" without being "overpowering." Any suggestions?

inuyasha
2016-05-04, 02:59 PM
My suggestion is to give him some ability to create a distraction like a cloud of fog, smoke, or a bright flash of light somehow, and then give him a hat of disguise. Those always come in handy for assassin characters.

Snappy
2016-05-04, 03:10 PM
His combat equipment should be light. The dagger is ideal (cheap, easily hidden, throwable). A flaming dagger isn't too out of line, since it doesn't do much damage in typical combat, but makes for unique kills. Armor, obviously, should be kept to a minimum, since you don't want to hinder his stealth.

More attention should be given to getaway equipment. My personal favorite is the rod of ropes (Complete Scoundrel, pg. 116). It's like a Bat-Grapple/zipline combo that can also be used to bull rush someone in an emergency. Other things like acrobat boots (Magic Item Compendium, pg. 67) can be a cheaper substitute.

Other than that, consider his MO. Does the assassin kill them while they sleep? When they're simply alone? How will their spells come into play? Equipment should be used to bring out the potential of the character, and make for good loot when the players defeat them. If you're wanting more magic equipment choices, the Magic Item Compendium is the best splatbook.

Afgncaap5
2016-05-04, 03:33 PM
His combat equipment should be light. The dagger is ideal (cheap, easily hidden, throwable). A flaming dagger isn't too out of line, since it doesn't do much damage in typical combat, but makes for unique kills. Armor, obviously, should be kept to a minimum, since you don't want to hinder his stealth.

More attention should be given to getaway equipment. My personal favorite is the rod of ropes (Complete Scoundrel, pg. 116). It's like a Bat-Grapple/zipline combo that can also be used to bull rush someone in an emergency. Other things like acrobat boots (Magic Item Compendium, pg. 67) can be a cheaper substitute.[QUOTE]

Actually, his getaway is going to be related to why I'm making him a sphere caster instead of a spell caster. He's going to be able to use the Warp sphere (allowing for low-level teleportation and general spatial manipulation), but due to his variation on the Flame Blooded background he's only going to be able to teleport when in contact with fire. So, the party campfire will both be his ingress and egress and, if for some reason that doesn't work, he'll use the flame from his dagger to teleport away.

This obviously leaves the dagger behind, but his original plan is, if overpowered, throw the flaming dagger like a weapon as a last strike before he leaves through the campfire, seeming to be hurting the party by embedding it in their chest, but secretly hoping the party member will use it later, allowing him to teleport back to the dagger when they use it.

[QUOTE]Other than that, consider his MO. Does the assassin kill them while they sleep? When they're simply alone? How will their spells come into play? Equipment should be used to bring out the potential of the character, and make for good loot when the players defeat them. If you're wanting more magic equipment choices, the Magic Item Compendium is the best splatbook.

I want him to look like a mostly competent kill-you-in-your-sleep assassin who botches the job and wakes everyone up, but is still a surprise that the players have trouble fighting off. Knowing what I know of this group, I could probably kill all of them with a skillfully made assassin if I try it while they sleep with just a single guard, but I'm hoping to avoid that.

Snappy
2016-05-04, 06:08 PM
I'm not familiar with sphere casting. What book is that from?

Now, if he popped in while someone was awake, he's probably going to be caught, given his entry point is probably the brightest light source around. But if you want to give the players a better shot, have the assassin appear during a shift change. That's two people awake, which would make most assassins flee anyway (they're not known to fight against the odds). If he stays to fight, even if no one tries to alert the others, the sounds of combat will probably wake everyone else up anyway, leaving him more outmatched. Furthermore, if the players figure out his means of travel, they can take steps to avoid that, like using light spells and sunrods in place of fires.

There's something to be said about not underestimating the players, and I would know. The key here is to let them figure things out so they can prepare. If they don't use their heads to stay alive, then it's probably time for a lesson.