PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on spells

krugaan
2016-05-04, 02:24 PM
I know there's a homebrew section but I trust the opinions here more. Spells overpowered or not? (notes in italics) These are all, naturally, bard spells.

[Krugaan's Terrible Pun]
lv 3 enchantment, 1 action V, instant
You tell an exceedingly, horribly bad joke. All creatures within 20' of you who can hear you, understand a language you speak, can be charmed, and fail a Wisdom save cover their face with their palm (or paw, or fist, if they have no free hands), blinding (if possible) and incapacitating them until the start of your next turn. Creatures who make their save merely roll their eyes. Any damage or non-trivial physical contact breaks this effect prematurely. Non-hostile creatures gain advantage on their throw (assuming you warn them beforehand, ie people in your party).
hypnotic pattern, but lasts only a single round and has some significant provisos. on the other hand, doesn't require concentration. also, funny as hell, especially if you require the player to actually make a joke.

[Krugaan's Continual Casual Conversation]
lv 1 enchantment, 1 action, V, concentration to 1 min
You engage one target within 60' in a magically compelled conversation. The target gets a saving throw vs. wis and must be able to speak, be charmed, and hear you (though not understand you). Both you and the target are unable to cast any spells with a verbal component, and any attempts to hide automatically fail. If for any reason one of the people in the conversation is unable to speak, the spell ends.
Alternatively, you may choose two targets within 60', who engage in conversation with each other; if either makes their wis save, the spell has no effect. Willing targets may choose to fail their save.
a crappy single target silence with drawbacks with roleplay potential; the alternate version is slightly better, but at disadvantage

[Krugaan's Magnificent Meandering Monologue]
lv 2 enchantment, 1 action, V, concentration to 1 min
You magically encourage the big bad evil guy (one target within 120') to expound on the mastery and cleverness of his evil plot (or his titanic strength, etc). The target will strut and pose (unable to take any action), and give away hints of their evil plot or battle tactics (at DM's option ... "Muahahah, this ring of free action will make me *immune* to any of your pathetic hold person spells! You have no chance to defeat me, hahahahhaa!"). The target will be so intent on monologuing that perception checks are made at disadvantage. If the target makes a successful wis save, the spell has no effect. In addition the spell ends early if:
- the target is attacked in any way, is the target of any spell, or directly affected by any spell
- the caster casts any other spell or breaks line of sight with the target
- the target notices any hostile creature casting a spell or using any spell-like ability (hidden creatures may cast freely, if they do so unobtrusively)
The target gains advantage on their saving throw if they do not consider themselves "stronger" than the caster.

i don't understand how this spell does not exist.

[Krugaan's Restorative Retort]
evocation cantrip, 1 reaction, V, instant
After taking damage from a sentient target (no constructs / mindless undead / traps / etc), the caster makes a witty retort ("you call that a fireball?" "I pounded your wife way harder than that last night!"). On a successful cha save, the target comes up with a suitable counter retort ("Lol, umad?"). On a failed save, you regain 1 hp. This goes up to 2/3/4 at levels 5/11/17.

I fully acknowledge this spell is overpowered, but I don't abuse it, only use it for humorous effect with a small HP reward. Also, as levels go the up the percentage healed gets smaller and smaller.

Inevitability
2016-05-04, 02:33 PM
I recommend adding 'the healed damage cannot exceed the taken damage' to the cantrip. It prevents a 5th-level bard from being healed to full by getting repeatedly punched by a commoner without making the spell inelegant.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-04, 02:41 PM
Some quick thoughts...

[Krugaan's Terrible Pun]
lv 3 enchantment, 1 action V, instant
You tell an exceedingly, horribly bad joke. All creatures within 20' of you who can hear you, understand a language you speak, can be charmed, and fail a Wisdom save cover their face with their palm (or paw, or fist, if they have no free hands), blinding (if possible) and incapacitating them until the start of your next turn. Creatures who make their save merely roll their eyes. Any damage or non-trivial physical contact breaks this effect prematurely. Non-hostile creatures gain advantage on their throw (assuming you warn them beforehand, ie people in your party).
hypnotic pattern, but lasts only a single round and has some significant provisos. on the other hand, doesn't require concentration. also, funny as hell, especially if you require the player to actually make a joke.

Power seems ok for 3rd spell level. 20' seems short though, given that anyone who can hear you should be affected. And the targets should probably be forced to drop whatever's in their facepalming hand.

I'd probably make it 60' and bump it up to level 4.

[Krugaan's Continual Casual Conversation]
lv 1 enchantment, 1 action, V, concentration to 1 min
You engage one target within 60' in a magically compelled conversation. The target gets a saving throw vs. wis and must be able to speak, be charmed, and hear you (though not understand you). Both you and the target are unable to cast any spells with a verbal component, and any attempts to hide automatically fail. If for any reason one of the people in the conversation is unable to speak, the spell ends.
Alternatively, you may choose two targets within 60', who engage in conversation with each other; if either makes their wis save, the spell has no effect. Willing targets may choose to fail their save.
a crappy single target silence with drawbacks with roleplay potential; the alternate version is slightly better, but at disadvantage

I like it. I'd probably add in a clause to say that the spell ends if the conversation partners are ever more than 60 feet from each other.

[Krugaan's Magnificent Meandering Monologue]
lv 2 enchantment, 1 action, V, concentration to 1 min
You magically encourage the big bad evil guy (one target within 120') to expound on the mastery and cleverness of his evil plot (or his titanic strength, etc). The target will strut and pose (unable to take any action), and give away hints of their evil plot or battle tactics (at DM's option ... "Muahahah, this ring of free action will make me *immune* to any of your pathetic hold person spells! You have no chance to defeat me, hahahahhaa!"). The target will be so intent on monologuing that perception checks are made at disadvantage. If the target makes a successful wis save, the spell has no effect. In addition the spell ends early if:
- the target is attacked in any way, is the target of any spell, or directly affected by any spell
- the caster casts any other spell or breaks line of sight with the target
- the target notices any hostile creature casting a spell or using any spell-like ability (hidden creatures may cast freely, if they do so unobtrusively)
The target gains advantage on their saving throw if they do not consider themselves "stronger" than the caster.

i don't understand how this spell does not exist.

Overcomplicated, in my opinion. I'd change this to be more like Otto's Irresistible Dance, but with monologuing instead of dancing.

[Krugaan's Restorative Retort]
evocation cantrip, 1 reaction, V, instant
After taking damage from a sentient target (no constructs / mindless undead / traps / etc), the caster makes a witty retort ("you call that a fireball?" "I pounded your wife way harder than that last night!"). On a successful cha save, the target comes up with a suitable counter retort ("Lol, umad?"). On a failed save, you regain 1 hp. This goes up to 2/3/4 at levels 5/11/17.

I fully acknowledge this spell is overpowered, but I don't abuse it, only use it for humorous effect with a small HP reward. Also, as levels go the up the percentage healed gets smaller and smaller.

I don't know if that is overpowered. It uses your reaction and all it does is cut down the damage very slightly. It's clearly good for certain builds, but I wouldn't say it competes with Minor Illusion et al in general.

Edit: and 'high level adventurer heals up by getting a commoner to beat them up' is actually kind of awesome. Especially for a Bard/Barbarian type character, who could be like "rargh, your puny blows don't hurt at all - but they ARE making me MAD!"

krugaan
2016-05-04, 03:31 PM
I recommend adding 'the healed damage cannot exceed the taken damage' to the cantrip. It prevents a 5th-level bard from being healed to full by getting repeatedly punched by a commoner without making the spell inelegant.

I can't imagine a scenario where this would really be an issue. I'll admit, it might potentially be abuseable, so ... don't abuse it.

JackPhoenix
2016-05-05, 09:29 AM
I can't imagine a scenario where this would really be an issue. I'll admit, it might potentially be abuseable, so ... don't abuse it.

The level 5+ character hires a commoner for 2 sp/day for infinite out of combat healing? Alteriatively, party wizard for no extra cost (and possibly even gets paid by the wizard for the chance to repeatedly smack the annoying bard)

krugaan
2016-05-05, 01:03 PM
The level 5+ character hires a commoner for 2 sp/day for infinite out of combat healing? Alteriatively, party wizard for no extra cost (and possibly even gets paid by the wizard for the chance to repeatedly smack the annoying bard)

Groan, well yes, but who's going to do that? I guess a "hostile creature" or some other kind of rider is necessary.