PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Sorcerer?

KnightSteve
2016-05-04, 04:08 PM
I have been reading the Sanctuary series by Robert Crane and there is a goblin magic user. He leaves the goblins due to the warrior class killing off or enslaving the magic users of the tribe. He turns to the people of Sanctuary for a place to fit in and make something of his life. My question is where I can find the Goblin stats? I want him to have more of the evil kind of powers, but leave them behind as he levels.

MintyNinja
2016-05-04, 04:18 PM
The DMG has a section for Monster Stats as templates. I'm away from my books right now, but it's after the Magic Items.

LordFluffy
2016-05-04, 04:19 PM
There's no official Goblin PC race, that I'm aware of.

There was just an unofficial supplement added that translated races from the Magic the Gathering setting of Zendikar. The Goblin as a monster is available in the SRD and you could work with your GM to homebrew something. You can also do a Google search for "Goblin PC race 5e" and I'm sure you'll come up with plenty of suggestions, though of varying quality.

As for "evil abilities", are we talking spell selection or racial abilities?

KnightSteve
2016-05-04, 05:21 PM
There's no official Goblin PC race, that I'm aware of.

There was just an unofficial supplement added that translated races from the Magic the Gathering setting of Zendikar. The Goblin as a monster is available in the SRD and you could work with your GM to homebrew something. You can also do a Google search for "Goblin PC race 5e" and I'm sure you'll come up with plenty of suggestions, though of varying quality.

As for "evil abilities", are we talking spell selection or racial abilities?

I didn't think there was anything official. I just need a guideline for my DM.

As for evil abilities, I am talking spells. Taking necromancy spells and stuff like hold person and charm are where I am going. If I can play the guy slightly evil, he will embrace this mindset instead of shying away.

Draconi Redfir
2016-05-04, 05:26 PM
Try here freind. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-goblin)

It's pathfinder and not 5th ed, so some conversion might be needed. but generally it's around +4 Dex, -2 Cha, and sometimes -2 Str. With +4 Stealth (move silently) and +4 Ride as bonus skills. While moving at 30ft despite being small size.

KnightSteve
2016-05-04, 05:41 PM
Try here freind. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-goblin)

It's pathfinder and not 5th ed, so some conversion might be needed. but generally it's around +4 Dex, -2 Cha, and sometimes -2 Str. With +4 Stealth (move silently) and +4 Ride as bonus skills. While moving at 30ft despite being small size.

That probably won't work. I don't know how the (-) ability scores work in 5e, but I am dumping STR and need CHA. Thanks for the link though.

wunderkid
2016-05-04, 05:54 PM
Doesn't the zendikar pdf have goblins as one of the races?

Ace Jackson
2016-05-04, 06:00 PM
You could refluff the lightfoot halfling. Not everything screams "goblin" like the bravery, but it can be made to reflect the character. I actually tweaked it into "destined or deluded" for a kobold character I made, Dovahkah, "The Dragon Boar." He was made as a half joke character, a multiclass sorcerer and rogue.

Daishain
2016-05-04, 06:26 PM
Knightsteve, PM incoming

Madfellow
2016-05-04, 09:23 PM
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Here's where you can find the Zendikar version of the goblin. They're on page 16 of the (free) pdf download. They get +2 Con and some nice defensive perks and skills. Goblins also happen to be the comic relief race in Magic: The Gathering, just as a heads-up. :smalltongue: I would definitely suggest using this version over the one that appears in the DMG, since that version seems pretty underpowered. Zendikar isn't legal for Adventures League play, though, so definitely talk to your DM first.

If your DM is more comfortable using the DMG version (page 282), maybe ask about dropping the strength penalty, since that would probably help balance it out a bit.

Hope this helps.

kaoskonfety
2016-05-05, 07:15 AM
for "leaving the evil behind" sorcerers can swap out spells while leveling. What you consider "evil" will of course vary with you possibly slowly removing from your spell list in priority order:

- undead creating necromancy
- fire damage (burn wounds are awful)
- any AOE damaging effect (they are reckless)
- any mind control effect, doubly for the various "dominate" options
- all non-cantrip damage (and only keeping damage cantrips with self defense or control riders - shocking grasp, ray of frost)

Leaving you with a sorcerer that has
- utility, transport and control only (sleep, hold person, dispel, counter spell, teleport circle abjurations and such)

As you level you can "naturally" learn the next big ticket spell (so you do have them on your list, maybe you were born to be the next great lich king and just hate the idea) and do your best to avoid using it, or using it where its not hurting 'anyone', based on the character definition of people (only fireball the mindless undead, or elves) or when the team kinda needs it expressing horror at the damage your have wrought. Good times.

Edit: the only real issue is the Sorc gets so few spells known its going to be agony having spell selections you "cannot" use - but then I'd find that half the fun - "There MUST be another way!!!" BOOM, screams, soft weeping...

KnightSteve
2016-05-06, 12:22 PM
As you level you can "naturally" learn the next big ticket spell (so you do have them on your list, maybe you were born to be the next great lich king and just hate the idea) and do your best to avoid using it, or using it where its not hurting 'anyone', based on the character definition of people (only fireball the mindless undead, or elves) or when the team kinda needs it expressing horror at the damage your have wrought. Good times.

Edit: the only real issue is the Sorc gets so few spells known its going to be agony having spell selections you "cannot" use - but then I'd find that half the fun - "There MUST be another way!!!" BOOM, screams, soft weeping...

Yeah the sorcerer doesn't get much on the spell list. I have time to develop his background and prepare for him. My ranger/druid is currently still alive and not sure if we're keeping characters after the module we're running.