PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rough draft of a Dervish Monk

Starchild7309
2016-05-04, 04:17 PM
OK so i was tasked with coming up with a way to make a dervish in 5e. I thought about it and thought about it and he felt very much like a monk to me, but had more mechanics of other classes. Let me say I have never made a new archetype for 5e so this is a very rough draft. Please take a look at it and give me your opinions. I think its probably too powerful, but maybe not. Opinions, constructive critiques, and hints to improve it would be well appreciated.

The Way of the Dervish

“The Gods turns you from one feeling to another and teach you by means of opposites, so that you will have two wings to fly - not one.”--Mevlana Rumi

The monks that follow the Way of the Dervish are of the most devout peoples of the realm. They seek ecstasy in flesh through their dance. The sema, or dervish dance, allows the dervish to perform amazing feats in and out of battle. This trance like state unlocks the dervish's full potential and allows them to more closely connect with those they worship. A dervish is a humble man, taking vows of poverty when they start along this path, often relying on those closest to him and the kindness of strangers. The monk of the Way of the Dervish is allowed his weapons and gear, all other wealth is donated or given away to further his humility. Humility and a oneness with their deity are the hallmarks of a dervish.

Dervish Dance
At 3rd level a monk who follows the Way of the Dervish gains the ability to enter a Sema, or dervish dance. By spending 3 ki points the dervish gains one extra attack, his speed increases by 5ft and any creature attacked by the dervish this round, regardless if the dervish hits, does not get an attack of opportunity against the dervish if he would normally. This effect only works in the dervish is wielding a one handed finesse slashing weapon and wearing no armor. This effect last for 1 min. The dervish cannot cast spells or maintain concentration on any spells while this is in effect. If the dervish does not move at least 5ft in a round, this effect ends.

Ritual Dance
At 3rd level the monk who follows the Way of the Dervish gains proficiency in Perform (dance) and proficiency with the scimitar.

Blurred Defense
A dervish is a bllur of motion and this makes them difficult to pin down where to strike. At 6th level a monk of the Way of the Dervish can spend 2 ki points to gain resistance to piercing slashing and bludgeoning damage while using Dervish Dance. Using the power of ki the monk can make his body shift unnaturally fast to make physical blows that would be grave, only glance off of him.

Improved Dervish Dance
At 11th level when a monk is in his dervish dance his closeness to ecstasy allows for supreme focus on the task at hand. He may choose one of these options at the beginning of his turn:
(1) add his proficiency bonus to his AC until the start of his next turn.
(2) add ½ of his proficiency bonus (rounded down) to his attacks until the start of his next turn.
(3) gain proficiency in wisdom saving throws until the start of his next turn.
(4) Gain 1 extra attack during his action.

Ecstasy of the Soul
At 17th level the monk's dance has helped him achieve perfection for both the body and the soul. During a dervish dance a monk can transcend the physical realm allowing for him to spend 4 ki points to cast blink or 8 ki points to cast one of the investiture spells from the EE companion. The spells casting time is reduced to 1 bonus action. These spells only last for the duration or the dervish dance and the dervish can maintain concentration on these while in his dance.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-05-04, 05:10 PM
Besides making extra scimitar attacks, what do you feel the normal Monk is missing?

My suggestion would be to just make a feat to let you use your bonus action attacks with Monk weapons instead of unarmed strikes. Take that and Mobile and you should be good?

MrStabby
2016-05-04, 05:15 PM
So I had always imagined a dervish as a kind of monk-cleric multiclass.

My approach would be to copy the 4 elements monk but change the spells/abilities to spells of an equivalent level from the Paladin/Cleric spell list.

Starchild7309
2016-05-04, 06:13 PM
So I had always imagined a dervish as a kind of monk-cleric multiclass.

My approach would be to copy the 4 elements monk but change the spells/abilities to spells of an equivalent level from the Paladin/Cleric spell list.

This is a case in which the spells and abilities add a bit of flavor, but I am more trying to follow the realistic concept of what whirling dervishes are. As they work on their devotion and focus themselves more and more in their dance they hope to find a "nirvana in the flesh." That's one of the reasons that most of the abilities focus on the dance and increasing how much it does.

I don't believe the monk class is really missing anything. I was asked to develop a dervish. If you read up on whirling dervish they are quite a bit different than what monk has to offer, but still feel very monk like. The Sema is central to their abilities so I felt that creating a path that focuses on that was the best vs. a feat that allows monks to use slashing weapons.

Starchild7309
2016-05-05, 01:48 PM
Still looking for advice...anyone? *echo*