PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question Clarification on advertising rules

qwertyu63
2016-05-04, 04:47 PM
I'm not 100% sure about the rules about advertising, so I need a clarification.

In this case, I'd like to put a link to the SRD of a system I've designed into my signature. All of the core content is free there and will remain so for the foreseeable future, but soon enough other content will put up for purchase.

Reading the rules, it sounded like that would be okay, but I figured I'd better ask; better safe than sorry.

Lanth Sor
2016-05-04, 05:57 PM
I have a similar Query. As me and my brother are starting a web site for Table top gaming and fantasy writing news/help. So I was trying to figure out if i could include a link to it in my signature. The site is Fantasytabletalk.com

JNAProductions
2016-05-04, 07:17 PM

In this case, I'd like to put a link to the SRD of a system I've designed into my signature. All of the core content is free there and will remain so for the foreseeable future, but soon enough other content will put up for purchase.

Reading the rules, it sounded like that would be okay, but I figured I'd better ask; better safe than sorry.

Smart man. I would err on the side of NOT linking it until a moderator weighs in, but I think it's okay so long as the bulk of the content is free.

I have a similar Query. As me and my brother are starting a web site for Table top gaming and fantasy writing news/help. So I was trying to figure out if i could include a link to it in my signature. The site is Fantasytabletalk.com

Is everything on your site free? If you'll look at my signature, I have a link to my YouTube channel-that's not a big deal because YouTube is free. Sure, you have to sit through an ad, but that doesn't cost money, just time.

So if your site is free, then yes, put a link in your signature. If not, then do not.

With that being said, do remember, I am not a mod. This is just my best guess-if you're really not sure, wait for a mod to give an answer.

Rockphed
2016-05-04, 08:25 PM
Advertising/Linking
As noted above, commercial (for-profit) advertising is not allowed on GiantITP.com. However, you ARE permitted to post about or start threads advertising non-profit websites; either charity events or merely amateur/fan sites that do not sell anything. Please be sure to observe the rules governing Spam and multiple-thread cross-posting, however, and make sure your plug is in the most appropriate forum (usually Friendly Banter).

You may always advertise or link to works of art online, such as other webcomics, fiction sites, music sites, or anything else that generates original artistic content—even if that site also makes a profit off of that work. We don't want the rules against advertising to prevent people from discovering new creative works that they will love, and we don't want to penalize artists for trying to make a living off of their work. However, if a site only resells creative work and does not have any of that work available online, then it is primarily a commercial site and cannot be advertised here.

Even for works of art online, posters are not permitted to sell goods or services on this forum.

If the site you are linking to has free, artistic, content, then I think you are okay. Since people post links to their gaming blogs, I think RPG rules count as artistic content. People start threads about their own web-comics, even web-comics that have tons of ads and sell books.

In the case of the original post, I think you are correct in your interpretation.

In the case of the second post, if you look at Mark Hall's signature you will find a link to his blog. I think it has been there longer than I have seen him posting around here, and he is now a mod.

Roland St. Jude
2016-05-04, 11:22 PM

I have a similar Query. As me and my brother are starting a web site for Table top gaming and fantasy writing news/help. So I was trying to figure out if i could include a link to it in my signature. The site is Fantasytabletalk.comBoth sound like new creative, artistic work. Go for it.

Forum Rules:

You may always advertise or link to works of art online, such as other webcomics, fiction sites, music sites, or anything else that generates original artistic content—even if that site also makes a profit off of that work. We don't want the rules against advertising to prevent people from discovering new creative works that they will love, and we don't want to penalize artists for trying to make a living off of their work. However, if a site only resells creative work and does not have any of that work available online, then it is primarily a commercial site and cannot be advertised here.