PDA

View Full Version : I swear I'm not a hack! :)

Thunt
2005-09-25, 05:21 AM
Last week I was working on the Sept 22nd update for my own comic when I decided to take a break and pop into the OotS site and read the last couple updates, since I'm a huge fan. Oh my, there's an old dude who's whole shtick is that he complains about how older D&D was better in his day. Sonova Crap! If you've recently read my comic, you may have noticed that I now have an old dude who's shtick is that he complains about how older D&D was better in his day. Let me state for the record that this is a complete coincidence. I had already started drawing my update when I read Rich's old dude, otherwise I'd have scrapped the idea and come up with something new. Even if our two characters had appeared months apart, that wouldn't have been so bad, but in a weird turn of events, our two characters appeared very close together. I wanted to post about this frustrating situation earlier in the week, but I would have given away my own spoilers so I was forced to wait until now to mention all of this.

So once more for the record... I am not a hack! Well, at least not with my old dude character. ;D

And Rich, even though it was a complete coincidence, I still feel I should apologize. Sorry, man.

Midnight Son
2005-09-25, 11:17 AM
Hack or no, Thunt, your comic is freakin' hilarious. By the way, do I know you? I've been asking that color question for eons. Probably not, or I would have heard the blind man question before now. ;D

Samiam303
2005-09-25, 12:06 PM
As Dwarf71 said, your comic is hilarious. Anyway I think that your character is different enough that nobody will think you copied it off Rich. Keep up the good work!

Thunt
2005-09-25, 03:13 PM
Hack or no, Thunt, your comic is freakin' hilarious. By the way, do I know you? I've been asking that color question for eons. Probably not, or I would have heard the blind man question before now. ;D

I think alot of people (including myself) have asked that colour question. I used to try to impress girls with it in highschool. It never worked.

Old_el_Paso
2005-09-27, 03:25 PM
My answer to panel #10 of Herbert Strikes Again.

YES!!!

Sped55
2005-09-27, 04:15 PM
That is hilarious, good comic.

hehehe, Herbert.......

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-27, 08:43 PM
Yeah, that comic is really awesome, I like the pretty colors. Eye candy ;D

My only problem is that it doesn't update frequently enough for my tastes, but the comic does look hard to draw so I don't really blame you.

mcc
2005-09-27, 09:03 PM
This comic is fantastic :)

Devils_Advocate
2005-09-28, 03:53 AM
I think alot of people (including myself) have asked that colour question. I used to try to impress girls with it in highschool. It never worked.

As I see it, the problem is that the question rests on a false assumption that subjective conscious experiences actually exist independent of the context of the mind. Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that each color you perceive is represented by some specific pattern in your brain. If one could somehow replace each instance of such a pattern with the pattern for the opposite color, and also switch the rods and cones in your eyes to respond to the opposite colors (where white is the opposite of black, blue the opposite of orange, etc.), would you actually remember and see every image as the negative of the way it was to you previously (though of course you would never know the difference) -- or does your mind still contain the exact same information as it did before, just stored in a different way? I would argue that those two possibilities are actually just different descriptions of the same basic state of affairs. Your subjective experience of the color "white" for example, is related to several things -- it's the color you associate with blank paper, bright light, etc. -- and I would argue that its relationships with other things are the only properties that that subjective experience has. Suggesting that one could "flip" white with black in someone's mind, for example, implies that our perceptions "white" and "black" have properties other than their relations to other things in our minds. That is to say, our subjective perception of the color red, for example, is not only meaningless outside of the context our minds provide it, it doesn't even exist outside of that context; context is, in fact, all there is to it.

Sometimes two people may disagree on whether a specific hue is, say, "blue" or "green", or on whether two hues are exactly alike. In my view, the question of whether they actually see the same color is meaningless, and bespeaks a certain misunderstanding regarding perception. Likewise, the question of what colors a colorblind person "really" sees (What single color does he see both red and green as?) is a nonsense question, much like "Can God make a rock so smart He can't lift it?" Even if telepathic communication were possible, we would never directly experience others' thoughts as we do our own. After all, there would have to be some means by which thoughts were transferred; and if someone's perceptions seem contrary to your own, does that mean that the two of you perceive things differently, or that you've got a bad connection? Would not a "good" connection, by definition, be one that translated between different ways of storing the same information?

And if you think I've put waaaaay to much thought into this, you should what Daniel Dennet has to say on the subject (http://ase.tufts.edu/cogstud/papers/quinqual.htm).

Re: the other question (http://www.galactanet.com/comic/134.htm) (HACK! ;D No, no, I'm just kidding): While I'm not visually impaired myself, I've long since stopped checking. I just stop when that region is no longer, um, moist. Was that TMI?

Leeroy
2005-10-06, 05:54 AM
Devils advocate: do you Really want us to read all that!? and understand?! damn, overflow on thoughts...

JeffreyToTheMax
2005-10-06, 07:17 AM
Woah... brain overload. Thank God I'm about to go to school where I won't need to use it.

evileeyore
2005-10-06, 08:07 PM
Thunt, give us a holler when your not on Keenspace anymore. I'd love to read your comic, but I refuse to turn off my anti-virus.

So anyway, give us a shout when its all clear.--EvilE

Thunt
2005-10-06, 10:18 PM
Thunt, give us a holler when your not on Keenspace anymore. I'd love to read your comic, but I refuse to turn off my anti-virus.

So anyway, give us a shout when its all clear.--EvilE

I'm getting enough traffic that I might have to switch to another host sooner than I'd planned. When I do, I'll post here to let you know. ;D