PDA

View Full Version : Some Magic Item Questions

Aldarin
2016-05-04, 10:52 PM
So, I've been part of this 5E campaign for about two months now, and our level-10 party just defeated an Iron Golem boss, and it was incredibly tough (3 PCs died) but we won, and we were rewarded with a crap-ton of magic items. I got a +1 rapier and have a few magic item pairings to choose from. This post is to get your opinions on which of the 2 magic items I present I should take.

Mithril plate vs. glamoured studded leather (I'm a DEX-based fighter. DM ruled that the mithril plate is 15 lbs.)

Ring of jumping vs. Ring of swimming

Sword of sharpness(scimitar) vs. Dancing Sword (rapier)

Thanks for the advice!

RickAllison
2016-05-04, 11:11 PM
I'd lean toward the Dancing Sword. It gives you a reliable bonus action attack where the SoS gives a critical bonus. If you can consistently get advantage, it could be better (and since it only works on a 20, Champion doesn't help).

Glamoured Studded Leather is great for remaining in armor no matter where you go. Mithral doesn't help much since you are Dex-based.

Ring of Swimming is probably better for you, since jumping is reliant on Strength. On the other hand, Ring of Jumping lets you cover a little more height.

Daishain
2016-05-04, 11:16 PM
So, I've been part of this 5E campaign for about two months now, and our level-10 party just defeated an Iron Golem boss, and it was incredibly tough (3 PCs died) but we won, and we were rewarded with a crap-ton of magic items. I got a +1 rapier and have a few magic item pairings to choose from. This post is to get your opinions on which of the 2 magic items I present I should take.

Mithril plate vs. glamoured studded leather (I'm a DEX-based fighter. DM ruled that the mithril plate is 15 lbs.)

Thanks for the advice!

Lets see:

Armor, if your Dex is 20 or soon will be, Mithral plate offers you no advantage over the studded leather but the glamour on the other one might come in handy. If your Dex will not be 20 soon, I don't value that glamour as high as the extra AC from the plate

Ring is definitely campaign dependent. Jumping is probably the safer choice. The ring of swimming is more useful when it can be used, but you may never be in a situation where it comes in handy. It all depends on how much water you are likely to encounter.

For the sword, that depends pretty heavily on your play style. If you are likely to have something useful to do other than attack (that also doesn't use up your bonus action), then Dancing sword could be of benefit. If however your main role is to hit them and hit hard, than Sword of Sharpness is almost certainly the better choice. As a Fighter, I suspect you should be leaning towards the latter item.

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-05-04, 11:21 PM

Depending on what 'glamoured' does, Mithril Plate seems like it would give you +1 AC over studded leather if you've got 20 Dex. 1 AC matters.

I personally like jumping. It's a nice effect, but if you come across more water-borne adventures Ring of Swimming may be more helpful. Entirely up to you.

Scimitar if going dual-wield. Rapier if single, and if so take a shield with you.

Daishain
2016-05-04, 11:25 PM
Depending on what 'glamoured' does, Mithril Plate seems like it would give you +1 AC over studded leather if you've got 20 Dex. 1 AC matters.
Glamoured studded leather has 2 effects, It grants +1AC (tying it with the plate so long as you have the Dex), and it allows the wearer to change the armor's appearance at will (make it look like you're wearing a formal ball gown rather than kitted out for battle for instance)

Scimitar if going dual-wield. Rapier if single, and if so take a shield with you.Its more complicated than with normal weapons. The scimitar deals max damage every time, with a chance for considerable bonus damage, outpacing the rapier considerably whether going dual wield or S&B. The rapier on the other hand can be activated to fly off and attack on its own for 3 rounds.

RickAllison
2016-05-04, 11:29 PM

I personally like jumping. It's a nice effect, but if you come across more water-borne adventures Ring of Swimming may be more helpful. Entirely up to you.

Scimitar if going dual-wield. Rapier if single, and if so take a shield with you.

Glamoured Studded Leather gives +1 AC (and Mithral does not, keep in mind) and can be changed with s bonus action to look like anything. Wizard robes, plate armor, noble finery, anything. Mithral just makes it so you don't have disadvantage on Stealth checks when armor normally does and waives Strength requirements. If it is plate armor, he might consider it (18 AC), but the GSL has that too (13+Dex). Else, it is pointless.

Generally, one doesn't use the Dancing Sword as the primary weapon, especially when he already has a +1 rapier. It's primary use is the bonus action.

Edit: somehow, I missed the first paragraph of Sword of Sharpness. It increases the average damage by +2.5 in addition to the other fun effects. That could make the difference.

Giant2005
2016-05-05, 12:21 AM
Glamored Studded Leather is an easy win. They are both equally effective on your character except the Leather has an additional benefit. More than that though, no-one is going to be able to make better use of the leather than you, but some of your allies will likely value the Plate a whole lot more.

The Ring of Swimming is another win but less certainly so. My basic philosophy is that not being able to swim might kill you. Not being able to jump won't kill you.

As for the weapons, if you dual-wield, then you want the Scimitar. If you don't dual-wield, then you want the Rapier.