PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding theology

DaMullet
2007-06-25, 12:34 AM
I'm homebrewing a campaign, and I need names for the 9 gods (one for each alignment).

So far, I have:
Valius, LG God of Honor and Dueling
Benefactus, NG God of Health and Innocents
?, CG God of Life and Freedom

Lucutior, LN God of Truth and Decision
?, TN God of Knowledge and Wisdom
?, CN God of Luck and Misdirection

Palpatos, LE God of Death and Tyranny
Malfactos, NE God of Crime and Disease
Dementos, CE God of Dishonor and War

I'm also thinking I want to replace Valius' name with something more opposed to Dementos (I've got an opposites theme going, both with the realms and name).

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated,
Cheers,
--Mullet

Kemper Boyd
2007-06-25, 12:44 AM
The CN god definitively needs to be called Discordia.

13_CBS
2007-06-25, 12:44 AM
I'm assuming that the names need to be Latin/Latin sounding?

DaMullet
2007-06-25, 12:45 AM
That was the theme I was looking for, yes.

Tallis
2007-06-25, 12:47 AM
Well, LG could be Sanos.

Rad
2007-06-25, 02:19 AM
If I can give you an advice; it is weird that the god of nature is CG. Are you going to have CG druids as well?

Fortuna sounds a good name for a goddess of luck

Beleriphon
2007-06-25, 05:00 AM
If I can give you an advice; it is weird that the god of nature is CG. Are you going to have CG druids as well?

Fortuna sounds a good name for a goddess of luck

Its not that odd depending on your view of nature. Nature is a capricous beastie to be sure, but over all it does value and foster life surviving. Nature will find a way and all that rot.

I'd certainly posit that an anthropomorphic representation of nature is probably best service by being true neutral it certainly doesn't have to be. Keep in mind that in a pantheonic religion there are a variety of overlapping concepts among all of the deities, or typically are at any rate, so a CG nature deity isn't exactly that odd.

Roderick_BR
2007-06-25, 07:10 AM
Its not that odd depending on your view of nature. Nature is a capricous beastie to be sure, but over all it does value and foster life surviving. Nature will find a way and all that rot.

I'd certainly posit that an anthropomorphic representation of nature is probably best service by being true neutral it certainly doesn't have to be. Keep in mind that in a pantheonic religion there are a variety of overlapping concepts among all of the deities, or typically are at any rate, so a CG nature deity isn't exactly that odd.
The problem with nature is that it may be anything.
Good - It gives creature's sustenage and shelter
Evil - Forces of nature can destroy any creature
Chaotic - Nature can follow it's own paths, without influence from civilized beings
Lawful - Nature follows it's own cicle of borning, growing, and dying
That's why Nature deities (and druids) are usually partially neutral, they are more balanced.

Selv
2007-06-25, 09:10 AM
Palpatos, LE God of Death and Tyranny

The Chancellor? We must move quickly!

I'm no latin-bod, but how about... Eruditus? (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Erudite) Artifico (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/artifice) works for "misdirection", but it's maybe a bit too calculated for what you want.

Fhaolan
2007-06-25, 10:36 AM
For the god of Life and Freedom: Alitus (to nourish)
For the god of Wisdom and Knowledge: Astuta (clever)
And I've got lots for the trickster god: Facilis (easy), or Fallere (to deceive), or Felicis (lucky)

Delaney Gale
2007-06-25, 12:43 PM
Valius, LG God of Honor and Dueling

I don't have much to input here, sorry :(. However, I needed to say that a god of honor and dueling makes my day- I've been trying to find a god like that for my swashbuckler character (she's CN and worships both Halmyr and Olidamarra. The two Pelorites in the party are much confused by this). I was thinking though- dueling is not at all inherently lawful good. Historical duels could be over ridiculously petty things, hence they were outlawed in... France... Britain?... because too many soldiers were killing each other in duels. Duels could be the champion calling out the one who dishonored his liege. Duels could be revenge quests. Duels could be over looking at someone funny.

DaMullet
2007-06-25, 02:19 PM
I was thinking something along similar lines, Delaney. If you could suggest something better to oppose War as a Lawful Good theme for him, it would be much appreciated.