PDA

View Full Version : Eidolon Two Claws ... Can I attack TWO targets?

timoteo
2016-05-05, 05:44 AM
Hi again, the title basically says it all, but we ran into some Goblins during our last adventure. This is only my third time in combat, and my first time against such weak foes -- and my Eidolon has leveled up.

Anyway, I found that I was slaughtering them with my first claw strike's damage. However, before that was revealed to me (found out they were 6HP Gobs, and I was dishing out more than double that per claw when I hit), the DM was having me take another swipe at the same Goblin. When I found out they were only 6HP, I was like ... "Why can't I strike another one if my first attack kills the first one?"

The reply from him, and everyone was that "you can only attack one target at a time."

That just didn't jive for me, as from a logical standpoint that would make zero sense. (Especially when I think about once I get bite, I will have 3 attacks ... then 4, etc.) Also, everywhere I have researched, it would SEEM that if you have two attacks you can target another enemy with your second attack. So unless this (thier) rule applies only to Eidolons, I think he/they are wrong.

Also, I can't find anything in the rules that says you can't attack a different target. All this is of course assuming all targets are within reach. In fact, can't I do a 5-ft move and do another attack if it puts me within reach?

Looking forward to input on this one from everyone, because that was a major game-changer/bummer for me.

Thanks,
Tim

Bronk
2016-05-05, 06:06 AM
You are right. Each claw is a separate attack. To use them both, you have to make a full attack. With a full attack, you make all attacks one after another, to anything within reach. You also get a 5 foot step that you can take at any time, if that would be helpful.

They might be thinking about grappling, or they might be thinking about the hawk's single 'talons' attack, or a tiger's 'rake' attack that has to be made against something the tiger has snagged previously, but they're incorrect.

Darrin
2016-05-05, 06:31 AM
From the PFSRD:

"You do not need to specify the targets of your attacks ahead of time. You can see how the earlier attacks turn out before assigning the later ones."

timoteo
2016-05-05, 07:23 AM
Thank you both, glad to hear my logic is backed by the rules. :) (and thanks for the PFSRD reference, looking at that passage now.) Also, I knew the claws were counted as individual attacks (based on the relevant section under Eidolons), making the DM's ruling even more perplexing. Can't wait to inform them.

I hope we run into some more Goblins ... or other low HP monsters. Poor devils! ;)