PDA

View Full Version : DM Help ooze question

tim01300
2016-05-05, 09:56 AM
Can an ooze jump or climb? I have a player thinking about playing a sentient cube.

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-05, 10:01 AM
Umm... I want to say their is a very large ooze in some book with a few points in the jump skill. As for climbing, I dont recall seeing any with a climb speed, but if ya got the skill points to spare then why not?

Geddy2112
2016-05-05, 10:03 AM
Yes and yes.

Now not all oozes can, but it is possible for an ooze to be able to jump and/or climb. Some oozes can even fly.

OldTrees1
2016-05-05, 10:22 AM
Can an ooze jump or climb? I have a player thinking about playing a sentient cube.

Depends on how you rule them and what they are like.

Is this character going to be a cube of jello that can bend itself but not change its overall shape? If so then the bending can result in some jumps and climbing can be possible by bending corners into handholds.

What if it can compress/stretch itself as well? Well then it has better jumps and is better able to climb.

What if it is more akin to an amoeba with a tough but variable membrane? In that case jumping would be much harder but climbing might be just as easy as walking (adhere to surface, extend limb, pull rear membrane towards extended limb). I would grant spider climb, say no to jumping, but give it long reach(x2?) for climbing across gaps.

Gallowglass
2016-05-05, 10:28 AM
They can jump, bounce, climb, stretch and they make a sweet azz chair

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBXxS2Fv5N8S5R6qAnYSgKt-Ft_S-RrMvfK9jtSyg93HvNTPEyCg

Darrin
2016-05-05, 10:34 AM

By RAW, yes, although the ooze needs an Int score in order to put skill ranks into either Climb or Jump. In fact, black puddings and ochre jellies have a racial bonus on Climb checks.

Jump is a little harder to explain from a physiological standpoint... although I suspect it's more like, "extend pseudopod up to higher elevation, then transfer cytoplasm to higher elevation".

KillianHawkeye
2016-05-05, 10:42 AM
In fact, black puddings and ochre jellies have a racial bonus on Climb checks.

Only because of the standard +8 any creature with a climb or a swim speed gets to Climb and Swim. But yes, at the very least, an ooze with a climb speed is clearly capable of climbing.

Inevitability
2016-05-05, 12:22 PM
Climbing is actually questionable. The climb rules say:

You need both hands free to climb

How this works with a handless being isn't clear.

Gallowglass
2016-05-05, 12:32 PM
Climbing is actually questionable. The climb rules say:

You need both hands free to climb

How this works with a handless being isn't clear.

well by that RAWgic, then you can't climb if you have more than two hands. After all, that would mean you have more than "both" hands free. Climbing is only possible if you have exactly "both" hands free.

Sorry spiders.

Inevitability
2016-05-05, 12:42 PM
well by that RAWgic, then you can't climb if you have more than two hands. After all, that would mean you have more than "both" hands free. Climbing is only possible if you have exactly "both" hands free.

Sorry spiders.

Just cut off some of your arms and you'll be able to climb again.

Gallowglass
2016-05-05, 12:45 PM
Just cut off some of your arms and you'll be able to climb again.

Good call.

*A spider, dripping blood from several stumps and wearing a badly fitted doublet and a flesh-mask knocks on the outer balcony door of the Princess' chamber* "It is I, one of the two-armed guards. I am bimandal just like you. Please let me in."

Alternately, as long as the gelatinous cube is careful to have exactly two severed hands floating in its bulk, it should be good to go.

daremetoidareyo
2016-05-05, 01:52 PM
Ape totem barbarian sentry ooze?

Thurbane
2016-05-05, 10:57 PM
They can jump, bounce, climb, stretch and they make a sweet azz chair

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBXxS2Fv5N8S5R6qAnYSgKt-Ft_S-RrMvfK9jtSyg93HvNTPEyCg

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers the Herculoids.

I might make a thread to stat them out sometime!