PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Help Me Understand Anthropomorphic Animals!

LoyalPaladin
2016-05-05, 12:02 PM
So I'm reading through Savage Species and I'm just not fully grasping the anthropomorphic animal rules. I'm trying to convert the hare from Dragon Magazine #280, but I just don't think I'm doing it right. Help me out! Below is how I think it works...

Racial Traits:
Str -4, Dex +6, Con +2, Int +0, Wis +4, Cha +0
Size: Small
Land speed 40
Scent
Darkvision 60ft
Racial Trait: Use dexterity for jump checks.
Jump +8, Listen +5
Automatic Languages: Hare?
Level Adjustment: +1
Racial Hit Die: None
Favored Class: ?

[Link (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?67058-rabbit&p=1185125&viewfull=1#post1185125)]

Edit:
Updated for accuracy!

Snowbluff
2016-05-05, 12:16 PM
I think your Str goes up for the size increase. So -6 instead of -8.

Jeff the Green
2016-05-05, 01:22 PM
Stats are adjusted for size (+4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con) and additionally gets +2 Wis and +4 Cha, so they should actually be Str -4, Dex +6, Con +2, Int +0, Wis +4, Cha +0.

The skills listed aren't racial bonuses, they include ranks and stat bonuses (I suspect they forgot the +8 bonus it's supposed to get to hide for being tiny). Rather than having +18 to Jump, I suspect it's intended to use Dexterity instead of Strength to Jump. Subtract the stat bonuses and you get Hide +1, Jump +8, Listen +7, and Spot +1. It has four ranks. Unfortunately, there's no way to divide those between the skills to get the even bonuses one normally gets. Personally, I'd say it had a rank each in Hide and Spot and two in Listen, for a final racial modifier of Jump +8 and Listen +5.

LA is assigned individually based on how strong they are. I'd play this over any LA +0 race for many characters, particularly scouts. It's probably a tossup between a dark human and anthropomorphic hare, and I'd definitely prefer a shadow human over an anthropomorphic hare, so it's a strong +1 LA.

LoyalPaladin
2016-05-05, 02:29 PM
Stats are adjusted for size (+4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con) and additionally gets +2 Wis and +4 Cha, so they should actually be Str -4, Dex +6, Con +2, Int +0, Wis +4, Cha +0.
Oh. That's a lot less painful!

The skills listed aren't racial bonuses, they include ranks and stat bonuses (I suspect they forgot the +8 bonus it's supposed to get to hide for being tiny). Rather than having +18 to Jump, I suspect it's intended to use Dexterity instead of Strength to Jump. Subtract the stat bonuses and you get Hide +1, Jump +8, Listen +7, and Spot +1. It has four ranks. Unfortunately, there's no way to divide those between the skills to get the even bonuses one normally gets. Personally, I'd say it had a rank each in Hide and Spot and two in Listen, for a final racial modifier of Jump +8 and Listen +5.
This makes a lot more sense... I was getting really thrown off here.

LA is assigned individually based on how strong they are. I'd play this over any LA +0 race for many characters, particularly scouts. It's probably a tossup between a dark human and anthropomorphic hare, and I'd definitely prefer a shadow human over an anthropomorphic hare, so it's a strong +1 LA.
Unless I'm understanding the book wrong, I think that they are LA +0? They buyoff the one hit die for being small, but they'd have one RHD if they were medium?

Jeff the Green
2016-05-05, 04:22 PM
Unless I'm understanding the book wrong, I think that they are LA +0? They buyoff the one hit die for being small, but they'd have one RHD if they were medium?

No, they have one RHD, which gets traded in. It gives LA for the animals in the Monster Manual, but the others need to be assigned LA independently. For example, anthropomorphic cats have one RHD but +1 LA.

LoyalPaladin
2016-05-05, 04:32 PM
No, they have one RHD, which gets traded in. It gives LA for the animals in the Monster Manual, but the others need to be assigned LA independently. For example, anthropomorphic cats have one RHD but +1 LA.
Oh, I see. It all makes sense now.