PDA

View Full Version : Making a powerful Melee beast Help wanted

Nosta
2016-05-05, 03:19 PM
So there's a lot I need Help with.

First Race: I need something that appears Human only is large size.
Second: I need a class and maybe Prc class Ecl is 15. I want a powerful melee class that can dish out powerful blows and keep taking hits
third: I may consider a la+1 or+2 template if any one has an idea for one
fourth: I fancy Dragonic grafts as my warrior likes to fight and kill dragons and then attached a piece of them to himself.

What I Picture is a large size Humanoid with Dragon horns and claws, and A dragonic breath weapon ( thinking sonic) and a dragon tail
High str and high con with some intellect and cha
He will carry a giant red butcher knife (great sword) (not sure what to put on it)
I want him to be a juggernaut type character that keeps on coming

any one got an idea for me.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-05, 03:41 PM
Umm, a half-ogre half-minotaur goliath, possibly with primordial giant, if want some extra int/cha, taking levels in warblade or crusader? That's pretty much the basic answer.

You can also play a (half-ogre) dragonkin, especially with LA buyoff (with the 7 RHD, you'd buy off at level 13 and 16, but ask your DM to reduce the LA, they're not that powerful). Improve the maneuverability one step, to perfect, and you don't ever need to walk - they get two secondary claw attacks when full attacking while airborne. Levels in warblade or crusader will turn those RHD into 3.5 initiator levels, which is nice, but it's never going to be a powerhouse like a Ruby Knight Vindicator.

OldTrees1
2016-05-05, 04:11 PM
Dragonborn Goliath(LA +1 race) Barbarian 2 (Goliath Barbarian, Spirit Lion Totem, Wolf Totem) / Crusader 3 / War Hulk 4 / Crusader +5
Feats(not in order):
Extra Rage, Dragon Tail(you wanted a tail? at least it hits multiple foes now), Entangling Exhalation, Power Attack, Improved Bullrush, Knockback, Improved Trip(Wolf Totem), Knock-Down

Your breath entangles foes as they burn/freeze/melt/zap(?) away. Then you walk through your foes alternating maneuvers with multiple-foe swipes. As your way is cleared by the fallen or knocked aside enemies you reach your target. ...

Bobby Baratheon
2016-05-05, 07:45 PM
You could also consider picking up a couple levels of Dungeoncrasher Fighter, then investing in Knockback. Smack people into walls for extra damage!

Barbarian Horde
2016-05-05, 11:50 PM
Warhulk10/bear totem barbarian 5
1Cleave
3Combat Focus
6Combat Stability
9Combat Vigor
12endurance
15 Stead Fast Determination
Bonus Feats from Class
Toughness
Improved grapple
Greater Fortitude
Take a flaw grab fling enemy... and have fun.
------------
What you get..
You get to use your con modifier with wis for will saves.
You get Fast Healing 4
You get Gain +8 to the following Special Attacks when resisting:Bullrush, sunders, disarm, grapples
You get on hit 10rounds of combat focus increasing will saves another +4
You get grapples without provoking AoO
You get +2 fortitude
You get +12 HP to max
You get to rage.......
You get +20 to strength
YOu get to throw rocks up to 50ft that have a slidng effect
YOu get to Attack everyone around you. As a full round. I recommend a reach weapon of 10ft.
---
As for the race, you could just make up some mumbo jumbo like a goblin that been hit by magic backlash during a ritual that a bunch of red mages were performing causing abnormal growth and aggressiveness. Replace goblin with Race X
--
Burn the wizards spell book before he wakes up or powerful melee wont me **** unless you give yourself Spell Resistance

Sword-Geass
2016-05-06, 12:20 AM
First Race: I need something that appears Human only is large size.
Goliath counts as large when it benefits him, but it's still medium. If you want to be truly large you'll have to use either the Half-Ogre or Half-Minotaur template, but both come with a -2 to int, and Half-Ogre also packs a -2 to cha. Both give +4 to strenght although. Keep in mind that the bonus and penalties stack. I'd go with the Goliath, since you want to have a bit of int and cha for RP reasons.

Second: I need a class and maybe Prc class Ecl is 15. I want a powerful melee class that can dish out powerful blows and keep taking hits

Large melee beast makes a call to War Hulk, but that prc removes your ability to think, so it's of no use if you want to give some use to that int. It also needs true large size, so it leads you back to the Half-Ogre/Minotaur templates, which also make you stupid. Your DM may say that Goliath with Goliath Rage counts, but he may also say it doesn't. Also, you keep becoming a brute with no brains...

I'd look for Warblade (smart fighter basically) or Crusader (charismatic fighter or paladin done right, your choice) to keep the flavor you are looking for. Warblade has access to more schools, one of them being Iron Heart, in which you can find Iron Heart Surge, that's basically a cleanse. Crusader in the other hand has access to Devoted Spirit, which packs a ton of staying power with various ways of recoviring HP.

fourth: I fancy Dragonic grafts as my warrior likes to fight and kill dragons and then attached a piece of them to himself.

Draconic grafts aren't really good, but that's your choice. Also they are equipament, so you just buy them, no matter your race you can always have them! But read the grafting rules, or you may die trying to use them.

What I Picture is a large size Humanoid
Already talked about that.

with Dragon horns
Dragons don't have horns, ya know? (at least in D&D). So no natural horn (gore actually) attacks from draconic origin. Sorry.

and claws
Grafts work, but you won't be able to use the hand in which you hold your sword with for a claw attack, just warning you.

and A dragonic breath weapon ( thinking sonic)
Dragonborn of Bahamut can give you one, but it won't scale well. Also, it won't be of sonic damage.

and a dragon tail
Dragon Tail does just that! You only have to have dragonblood, and take it at first level. Dragonborn of Bahamut can help you with the dragonblood.

To wrap it up, Dragonborn Goliath, with Dragon Tail as first feat, Crusader would probably suit you, and if you can stand the flavor, taking a dip in Barbarian with the Lion totem ACF and the Goliath sub levels would also help towards it (by giving true large size while raging, and pounce which is simple awesome). Other useful feat may be Stone Power, which works like PA but giving you temp. hp instead of damage. Shock Trooper is also great for damage, but will lower your AC into nothing. Not really fitting for a Juggearnaut, but so powerful that it should be considered regardless.

Barbarian Horde
2016-05-06, 01:01 AM
Goliath counts as large when it benefits him, but it's still medium. If you want to be truly large you'll have to use either the Half-Ogre or Half-Minotaur template, but both come with a -2 to int, and Half-Ogre also packs a -2 to cha. Both give +4 to strenght although. Keep in mind that the bonus and penalties stack. I'd go with the Goliath, since you want to have a bit of int and cha for RP reasons.

Large melee beast makes a call to War Hulk, but that prc removes your ability to think, so it's of no use if you want to give some use to that int. It also needs true large size, so it leads you back to the Half-Ogre/Minotaur templates, which also make you stupid. Your DM may say that Goliath with Goliath Rage counts, but he may also say it doesn't. Also, you keep becoming a brute with no brains...

No time to think I think that feature only applies toward skill checks... even then its just reduced to 0 so I'm actually curious if you have a negative modifier, if it would actually make you smarter in terms of skill by bringing your checks up to 0

torrasque666
2016-05-06, 01:06 AM
No time to think I think that feature only applies toward skill checks... even then its just reduced to 0 so I'm actually curious if you have a negative modifier, if it would actually make you smarter in terms of skill by bringing your checks up to 0
It just treats it as if you have 0 ranks. Any ability mods, or bonuses from items, will still apply.

Barbarian Horde
2016-05-06, 01:09 AM
Yeah I went back to check and seen your post. What I forgot about was "Intimidate skill, which works normally." So you don't lose everything... :P

Question now is how do you substitute your str mod as charisma for your intimidate checks

-----
No known methods.
Found a few homebrew ones
DM can always make the call to swap it.

BrolyFan
2016-05-09, 02:52 AM
You could go with ultimate monk build to slay thy enemies, and wear the skin, horns, teeth as cosmetic trophies to show your prowess. It's fun watching a Goliath punch a great wyrms skull in just case you needed a new look.
Personally recommend
Monk, zuken fist, fist of the forest
And kinda us the guide ultimate monk to get you there

BilltheCynic
2016-05-09, 12:43 PM
As others have mentioned, dragonborn will give you the most draconic flavor at the best price. If you're looking for size, it's hard to beat the psychic warrior. It won't be all the time, but you can manifest the power Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm) to increase your size two categories if you augment it. If you roll a dragonborn half-minotaur goliath psychic warrior, you'll be walking around normally at large size but treated as huge. Manifest Expansion for fights and now you're gargantuan treated as colossal. Yes, you can be as big as the dragons you're fighting. Addmittedly, Psychic Warrior is wis focused, not int or cha focused, but they still benefit from a good mental stat.