PDA

View Full Version : Some monster attacks in the MM don't make much sense...

CrackedChair
2016-05-05, 03:35 PM
Ok, I was flipping through a few pages of the Monster Manual for some beasties I could include in an encounter, and after reading a few actions these monsters can take, I am very surprised at just how many attacks, mechanically-wise and realistically, make no sense.

A few examples...

---

Kobolds with wings. One of their attacks includes dropping a rock straight on somebody's head. That's fine and all, but the thing uses it's dexterity for it's attack bonus and damage bonus. I could somewhat see why it would apply to the attack bonus, but why the damage bonus? They just drop the rock straight on somebody's head, and just let gravity do the rest. So in all honesty, it's a attack roll thing. This pretty much applies to the regular kobold's slings too. The player handbook states that slings are strength-based weapons, right? Correct me if I am wrong, since I don't have the book with me at the time, but kobold slings use dexterity, too. I guess it's just so they make them as not a completely pathetic monster, but it really raises eyebrows.

And really, this applies to a lot of other attacks which should be strength-based in nature. Dopplegangers have a slam attack, which means they just smack you straight in the jaw. It uses dexterity too, so unless they are like, monks or something, it's rather nonsensical too...

mgshamster
2016-05-05, 03:45 PM
All non-spell attacks (and some spell attacks) in this game use the ability score modifier for both attack and damage. Even arrows add your dex mod to damage. It's standard in the game. In previous editions of D&D, you needed a feat to add Dex to damage. It was well liked by players, so in this edition they just made it standard.

Likewise, some weapons have a finesse property, which means you can use strength OR dex for attack and damage modifiers. Some of those monsters have that, and they choose to use dex. For example, the slam attack could sometimes be dex based, because they're using their speed rather than strength to attack. And with the standardized use of ability score modifiers to damage, they also add their dex damage.

MaxWilson
2016-05-05, 03:53 PM
The player handbook states that slings are strength-based weapons, right?

No. Ranged weapon attacks use Dexterity in 5E. That includes slings.

It is possible to make certain melee attacks at range if the weapon has the Thrown property, but slings are not thrown melee weapons.

SharkForce
2016-05-05, 05:20 PM
you add dex because accuracy and damage are not unrelated.