PDA

View Full Version : Optimization "Someone got into my brother's head. That's not a safe place to be."

Jeff the Green
2016-05-05, 08:02 PM
I heard the title of this thread in a Gotham trailer, and now I really want to make a character based on it: someone who specializes in enchantment jujitsu.

What can I do to accomplish this? I've come up with the Live My Nightmare feat, but little else.

Gildedragon
2016-05-05, 08:36 PM
There are a number of enchanter ACFs:

Instant Daze from PH2 is pretty strong (trades out familiar) as is the feat-substitution that gives social skills and a bonus to them. Bluff and the like make good strong additions to any enchanter. Focus caster makes your enchantments last a bit longer... Though maybe not familiar worth long enough.

Domain wizard for tyranny or domination are also good choices, one raises the save of your compulsion effects, the other gives you spell focus

Mindbender seems like a great class too... though it does lose 5 caster levels

Dread Witch might be a better choice, if focusing on Fear effects

Schools you need are divination, enchantment and (maybe) illusion. The rest could be discarded to make a focused caster

Jeff the Green
2016-05-05, 08:39 PM
There are a number of enchanter ACFs:

Instant Daze from PH2 is pretty strong (trades out familiar) as is the feat-substitution that gives social skills and a bonus to them. Bluff and the like make good strong additions to any enchanter. Focus caster makes your enchantments last a bit longer.

Mindbender seems like a great class too... though it does lose 5 caster levels

Sorry, but what I was looking for is someone whose mind it is a bad idea to try to crack—not necessarily someone who cracks minds.

Gildedragon
2016-05-05, 08:49 PM
Oh oh! got it backwards. Well Mindblank is a solid defense. Karsite has OK spell resistance and that makes their head tough to affect.
Beguiler (race) has at will true seeing which makes getting duped hard.
Straight up being undead protects you from mind affecting effects

Spell turning is a handy spell too. Spellblades of common mind affecting effects allow you to redirect the spell back at whoever cast it on you

Telonius
2016-05-05, 08:50 PM
A couple of Psionic feats came to mind: Hostile Mind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#hostileMind), and Psionic Hole (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psionicHole).

Gildedragon
2016-05-05, 08:52 PM
Also can't believe I forgot: protection from evil straight up thwarts attempts at domination

ATHATH
2016-05-05, 08:54 PM
Residual Rebound might also help.

mabriss lethe
2016-05-05, 11:18 PM
Daelkyr Half-Blood gets a racial ability called "unbalanced mind." Anyone who reads his thoughts or "otherwise study his mind" has to make a will save (DC 10+ 1/2 Character level+Cha mod) or be dazed for 1 round.

Buufreak
2016-05-06, 12:38 AM
How about the Live My Nightmare feat?

Val666
2016-05-06, 01:00 AM
Daelkyr Half-Blood gets a racial ability called "unbalanced mind." Anyone who reads his thoughts or "otherwise study his mind" has to make a will save (DC 10+ 1/2 Character level+Cha mod) or be dazed for 1 round.

That ^ plus maybe Godblooded of Vecna?

Mr Adventurer
2016-05-06, 02:10 AM
A Daelkyr half-blood Karsite god-blooded of Vecna? Jesus.

Droopy McCool
2016-05-06, 02:31 AM
The Wilder class feature "Volatile Mind" makes using Telepathy powers againt them cost extra PP. So it's harder, but not necessarily dangerous.

McCool

torrasque666
2016-05-06, 01:20 PM
A Daelkyr half-blood Karsite god-blooded of Vecna? Jesus.

Daelkyr Half-Blood is a race in and of itself. So one that or Karsite but not both.