PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Spells and more homebrew rule changes, roleplaing and balance focus

pprandom
2016-05-06, 12:33 AM
Q: Why do you insist in D&D 3.5?
A: I have some of the books, players that know the rules; what I don't have is the time and money for a whole new system.

Q: Why these particular changes?
A: My mindset to the game has always focused on roleplaying, teamwork, storytelling and challenge, not power fantasies "I have nothing against those but I just keep them to myself". D&D 3.5 classes power-levels are (broadly) based on how many spells they have access to; so i tried simple spell limiting house rules that would affect classes proportionately to how dependant on spells they are.

Q: Wouldn't it been easier to just change this rule?
A: Maybe. When making the changes i though about two things: First, how can i balance this without changing any numeric rule; second how would this change be interpreted in the in-game reality. So i tried to use more roleplaying solutions than actual rule changing.

Q: You changed a lot of the spells, and those are just PHB spells...
A: Yeah, i didn't want to but some of them required at least some reinterpretation. My biggest issues were miss chance spells, and spells that made character skills useless.

Q: What is the point of you sharing this?
A: Who knows, I have done the job already for my sessions so might as well upload it somewhere.

Q: Do you use any campaign setting?
A: Forgotten Realms (since i used it too during AD&D 2ed).

Q: Your grammar is quite odd.
A: English is not may main language, so sorry about that.

Q: The forum format is hard to follow
A: Sorry about that too, i have a wordpad version I might upload it somewhere if someone wants it.

Q: I think you're a total idiot and should go away.
A: Maybe this is not the type of house rules you're searching for i pressume.

__________________________________________________ ________
HOUSE RULES
1- Every day spellcasters (any class with spell progression) will make a dice roll. The maximum level of spell they'll regain/memorize will be: d20 + attribute bonus - 15. For example, If the roll result is 18, you will be able to memorize only spells from level 0 to 3.
"This rule may seem hash, but remember, some spellcasters end up having 20 or more spell slots at low-medium levels, more than enough to last for a couple of days. This way you can challenge spellcasters without the necesity of forcing ten encounters in a single day for them to run out of spells. The rule will also limit considerably the abusive nature of higher level spells and add a layer of strategy to them."
Opcional, you can use some modifiers to the roll. Penalizations if the character is unrested or if they are at odds with their faith; or bonuses after talking with wise people for a while or performing some service to their faith.
2- Remove all wands; replace them with easily consumable items; potions, scrolls. "Makes character spells crucial to the survival of a group."
3- Miss chances do not stack; use the biggest or make the latest one casted replace the one before it. "Just for balance sake". This includes spells like Blur,Displacement, Mirror Image, etc.
4- Skills: Spells that give a skill bonus do not stack with your skill roll bonus; in other words you can roll with the spell bonus (only), or with your regular skill use (attribute, ranks, etc).
5- Magic healing: it restores the characters vitality instead of curing wounds. Basically it lasts 24 hours, the next morning characters will lose the magical heals and awoke healed just by their corresponding natural healing amount, characters below 0 hp will require to be stabilized if they were thanks to magic healing. "Think of it as a magical stimpack"
6- Animal companion: The stats enhancements will only apply as long as the creature is within 100 yards of the character. Animal companions will only act based on the tricks they know, beyond that it will still act as an animal and can cause serious trouble if left unatended.
7- Skills beyond Saving throws: Saves are a reflect like action towards an effect. Add the proactive use of ranked skills to deal with some spell effects (beyond the spell descrition), use the spell caster level plus attribute for CD of course. Examples, spot to deal with some illusion sort of effects, escapism for grasping effects, etc. "Adds a less restrictive response to spells, apply common sense to regulate it"
8- Divine spell failure: Given by armors and shields, it equals arcane failure divided by 5 (twice that amount for druids, explorers or other nature oriented casters). Casting a spell will require at least a fail porcentage equal to the spell level. "For example 7% (from the shield plus the armor) allows you to cast spells up to level 7"
8 bis- (Instead of spell failure)Breakable holy simbols: Make a save CD roll for every spell, if you get a natural 1 your holy symbol shatters if it is required as a DF. Requires going to a temple to consacrate a new one.
9- Manufactured armors and shields; duplicate the AC bonus they give. "Seems like a lot but it's not considering that mudium and heavy armors reduce your movement and gives you a big armor penilizer"
10- Other sources; even if you don't use many of them, consider compiling some feats related to the warrior classes from diferent books. "To make them a bit more playable at least"
-- Spells revision: Below i added a list of spells that i found a bit problematic "they triggered me, sniff..." Use them at your own leisure. Some of the things considered, Conjuration(creation), modifies materials around the caster; Transmutation, does not gives the caster any sort of extra knowledge since it works as a tool for modifying reality. I added some aging effects to some spells, i consider the aging irreversible even by switching bodies "The aging will use percenteges of life expectancy, so elves don't get a free pass".
Player Handbook's spells
*Alter Self; requires a piece of the type of creature you will turn into as a reference, unless the character is very familiar with it (decided between PC and DM).
*Bigby's (any) Hand; use the strength and size bonus (not the caster level "it becomes basically unavoidable otherwise"). Requires a standard action to attack and movement action to redirect. Might want to add an escapism check to some of the grips.
*Blink; see note about miss chances. Can trigger ethereal plane encounters since it involves going in and out of that plane.
*Blur, see note about miss chances. It does not affect creatures dependant on smell, hearing, infravision (while in the dark) or other non-conventional senses.
*Control Weather; not much, just take into account the repercussions of the spell on local populations.
*Create Food and Water; only works inside a temple, holy ground or sanctuary. "It makes surviving easy otherwise, wich takes away challenge, and takes away fun. Instead think of it as a way for priests to provide for travelers or resist sieges without running out of provisions"
*Create Water; only works inside a temple, holy ground or sanctuary. "It makes surviving easy otherwise, wich takes away challenge, and takes away fun. Instead think of it as a way for priests to provide for travelers or resist sieges without running out of provisions"
*Cure (any) Wounds; see note about magical healing.
*Displacement; see note about miss chances. It does not affect creatures dependant on smell, hearing, infravision (while in the dark) or other non-conventional senses.
*Energy Drain; the caster ages 3% of their average life expectancy. "It gives permanent level drain, screw that!"
*Entropic Shield; see note about miss chances.
*Evard's Black Tentacles; tentacles only use the strength and size bonus, not the caster level.
*Heroes' Feast; only works inside a temple, holy ground, sanctuary or a local tavern (Bards). "Otherwise surviving will be too easy, wich takes away challenge, and takes away fun. Instead think of it as a way for priests to provide for travelers or resist sieges without running out of provisions and bards to improve morale"
*Leomund's Secure Shelter; requires the materials to be in the area the spell will affect, can be casted at a wrecked building for it to be temporarily get fixed.
*Limited Wish; determine a limit in words for the wish. "I like to limit it to 6 words"
*Mirror Image; see note about miss chances too. When cast the images appear around you in the adjacent 5' squares, those with no space to appear will not appear. To change position with one of the images requires the use of the 5' step and must be done in your turn. IMPORTANT: an image disapear when they are touched by anything physical bigger than a pellet, they are incorporeal, so creatures of at least of small size, can move into an area occupied by an image without trouble "unless you bump into the caster" an it will disapear (that will cause pertinent opportunity attack from the real wizard if aplicable). It does not affect creatures dependant on smell, hearing, infravision (while in the dark) or other non-conventional senses. OTHER WAYS TO DETECT THE REAL CASTER include atmospheric visible particles (rain, sand, pebbles, blizzards; natural or thown on purpose); ground conditions that leave marks (water, snow, sand, dirt, tall grass; can be caused on purpose by throwing something at the ground). Also you might want to add markers like paint, flour, sheets on thr head, nets or other things that can reveal the real one. "Uff that was long, it's a 2 level spell so it can't be too powerful. You can consider adding a spot check against caster level if you really want to"
*Miracle; it requires permission from the deity itself to perform.
*Mordenkainen's Disjunction; the caster ages 7% its average life expectancy.
*Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion; must be casted at a building, it can be in good or bad shape almost wrecked. The main door of the building will serve as the location for the magical entrance and the whole interior will emulate a pristine version of the building including all the spell effects. The spell can actually have a bigger area than just what the building represents if the building itself is too small. To outsiders the original building remains the same. "Making the spell not abusable"
*Mordenkainen's Sword; requires a standard action to attack and movement action to redirect.
*Neutralize Poison; requires a sample of the poison affecting the objective.
*Planar Ally; negotiations do not always go smoothly.
*Polymorph Any Object; requires to touch a piece of the creature or object you want to shape the target into, might ingnore this for very common or very familiar things. Can never polymorph someting into a creature with bigger intelligence, wisdom or charisma than the caster. "Since magic is a shaping tool here, creating something that exceeds the character mental limitations is imposible for him"
*Polymorph Self; requires to touch a piece of the creature you want to shape yourself into, might ingnore this for very common or very familiar creatures.
*Purify Food and Drink; only works inside a temple, holy ground or sanctuary. "It makes surviving easy otherwise, wich takes away challenge, and takes away fun. Instead think of it as a way for priests to provide for travelers or resist sieges without running out of provisions"
*Reverse Gravity; the edges of the spell allow creatures caught to stay suspended in air, allowing them to fall slowly towards either direction.
*Resist Energy; only one version of it can be actve at a given time, casting a new one will replace the previous one. The spell will resist the listed damage in total, not from every attack. "Say you have 30 resistance to acid and you take 12 points of acid damage, the spell will then resist 18 points of acid damage more before ending"
*Rope Trick; resting inside it causes fatigue and makes spell memorization almost imposible. Might also trigger some extraplanar encounter.
*Shapechange; requires a piece of the type of creature you will turn into unless the character is very familiar with it (decided between PC and DM), extraplanar creatures always requires a fresh piece of them plus a certain familiarity. The new form will not concede any spell (or spell like ability) corresponding to 7th level spells or higher, also if spell like abilities have limited uses or uses a spell progression of sort it will be considered already used.
*Simulacrum; any abilities the simulacrum uses will be illusory copies of the ones from the imitated creature. Creating one requires a lot of knowledge about the creature.
*Soften Earth and Stone; you do not sink into the earth. Mud makes it hard to walk and if you fall (reflex save) you just need to stand up, you do not get buried inside it. "No trapping people with dispel magic".
*Spiritual Weapon; requires a standard action to attack and movement action to redirect.
*Storm (fire, vengeance, etc.); must be casted outdoors, unless spell description states otherwise.
*Summon monster I - IX; can only have one of this spells active at a given time, casting another will replace the first. "Makes battles less of a mess and balances things a bit"
*Summon Nature's Ally I - IX; can only have one of this spells active at a given time, casting another will replace the first. "Makes battles less of a mess and balances things a bit"
*Time Stop; the spell does not stack with any other time altering effect (including itself). The caster ages 10% its average life expectancy.
*Wall of Iron; the spell reshapes crude iron in the area to a wall shaped structure. "It becomes very situational though"
*Wall of Stone; the spell reshapes natural rock or stone into a wall shaped structure.
*Whirlwind; must be casted in the outdoors.
*Wish; determine a limit in words for the wish. "I like to limit it to 6 words"

Thank you for reading, hope you found something worth the time!

thethird
2016-05-06, 03:45 AM
Q: Why these particular changes?
A: My mindset to the game has always focused on roleplaying, teamwork, storytelling and challenge, not power fantasies "I have nothing against those but I just keep them to myself". D&D 3.5 classes power-levels are (broadly) based on how many spells they have access to; so i tried simple spell limiting house rules that would affect classes proportionately to how dependant on spells they are.[quote]

If it works for you, and your group, more power to you, and your group. Still I'm going to look over the house rules.

HOUSE RULES
[QUOTE=pprandom;20747946]1- Every day spellcasters (any class with spell progression) will make a dice roll. The maximum level of spell they'll regain/memorize will be: d20 + attribute bonus - 15. For example, If the roll result is 18, you will be able to memorize only spells from level 0 to 3.
"This rule may seem hash, but remember, some spellcasters end up having 20 or more spell slots at low-medium levels, more than enough to last for a couple of days. This way you can challenge spellcasters without the necesity of forcing ten encounters in a single day for them to run out of spells. The rule will also limit considerably the abusive nature of higher level spells and add a layer of strategy to them."

First point, who is the most impeded by this rule?
Partial casters, such as the ranger or paladin. Are they the ones that give you trouble? Because they are the ones that just got shafted of their spells.

Second point, what effect does this have in play?
If I came to a table with that rule and I wanted to play a full spellcaster I would pull a killer gnome, as the build relies on 0 level spells to function. After being called a munchkin and dodging some books to the head I would try to raise my main attribute really, really, really high. Assuming I cannot get a persisted owl's insight or similar trickery and end needing to play with the rule as is I would hoard my spells.

What happens if the caster hoards the spells? He does not cast them. How does he contribute to the encounter without casting spells? Can you imagine a 10th level wizard hitting things with a crossbow because he can only prepare 0 level spells? How would you balance encounters then? For a classical rogue, fighter, cleric, wizard party with your houserule there is potential to trashing the cleric and the wizard at the same time. Are you going to balance encounters for a fighter, a rogue and 2 glorified commoners? What happens when the casters get lucky and get level appropiate spells for the day and decide to use it instead of hoarding them?

Is a caster not casting spells fun to you?

Opcional, you can use some modifiers to the roll. Penalizations if the character is unrested or if they are at odds with their faith; or bonuses after talking with wise people for a while or performing some service to their faith.

As an aside, the possiblity of penalties if he is "at odds with their faith" is totally DM's call. And makes it worse, much worse.

2- Remove all wands; replace them with easily consumable items; potions, scrolls. "Makes character spells crucial to the survival of a group."

The most common wand in a group are wands of healing. Wands that benefit the most those that suffer damage. Those that suffer damage are those that get hit. Those that get hit are normally those that are melee.

Can you imagine a wizard with only 0 level spells at melee?

Who will impact the most this houserule? Answer, not the casters.

3- Miss chances do not stack; use the biggest or make the latest one casted replace the one before it. "Just for balance sake". This includes spells like Blur,Displacement, Mirror Image, etc.

Why would it affect mirror image? I mean I can understand the others "just for balance sake" but if as a wizard I get two second level slots (already difficult) and decide to use them in two min/level spells that do complimentary things why can't I get benefit from both?

4- Skills: Spells that give a skill bonus do not stack with your skill roll bonus; in other words you can roll with the spell bonus (only), or with your regular skill use (attribute, ranks, etc).

So guidance of the avatar or go home?

5- Magic healing: it restores the characters vitality instead of curing wounds. Basically it lasts 24 hours, the next morning characters will lose the magical heals and awoke healed just by their corresponding natural healing amount, characters below 0 hp will require to be stabilized if they were thanks to magic healing. "Think of it as a magical stimpack"

Paraphrasing myself. Who suffers the most from this? Are those the characters you want to see used on the game?

You recover 1hp per character level for resting one full night. So the characters that take damage might need weeks to get back into fighting condition.

6- Animal companion: The stats enhancements will only apply as long as the creature is within 100 yards of the character. Animal companions will only act based on the tricks they know, beyond that it will still act as an animal and can cause serious trouble if left unatended.

This sounds like, if you've got an animal companion and you go to sleep (and you will sleep for weeks because otherwise you will die) I'll take control of it and wreak havoc just because.

7- Skills beyond Saving throws: Saves are a reflect like action towards an effect. Add the proactive use of ranked skills to deal with some spell effects (beyond the spell descrition), use the spell caster level plus attribute for CD of course. Examples, spot to deal with some illusion sort of effects, escapism for grasping effects, etc. "Adds a less restrictive response to spells, apply common sense to regulate it"

You remember those spells your wizard is not casting because he needs to be really careful about them? Yeah he isn't casting those anymore. Remember the killer gnome I mentioned? Yeah he is crackling maniacally.

This rule punishes low levels of optimization.

8- Divine spell failure: Given by armors and shields, it equals arcane failure divided by 5 (twice that amount for druids, explorers or other nature oriented casters). Casting a spell will require at least a fail porcentage equal to the spell level. "For example 7% (from the shield plus the armor) allows you to cast spells up to level 7"
8 bis- (Instead of spell failure)Breakable holy simbols: Make a save CD roll for every spell, if you get a natural 1 your holy symbol shatters if it is required as a DF. Requires going to a temple to consacrate a new one.

That will show those damn hippies to wear armor. Now that I think about it most of the issues your houserules are bringing can be obviated by a well played druid.

9- Manufactured armors and shields; duplicate the AC bonus they give. "Seems like a lot but it's not considering that mudium and heavy armors reduce your movement and gives you a big armor penilizer"

This favors mundanes and I'm all for that.

10- Other sources; even if you don't use many of them, consider compiling some feats related to the warrior classes from diferent books. "To make them a bit more playable at least"

Ditto.

Troacctid
2016-05-06, 04:11 AM
1- Every day spellcasters (any class with spell progression) will make a dice roll. The maximum level of spell they'll regain/memorize will be: d20 + attribute bonus - 15. For example, If the roll result is 18, you will be able to memorize only spells from level 0 to 3.
You can't balance spellcasters by saying "You can play a spellcaster, but you just won't be able to cast spells." This is like a 50% chance that on any given day, your wizard turns into a commoner with a familiar. Getting the rug pulled out from under you like that is a terrible feeling, and it is, frankly, unreasonable.

In order to have a satisfying fix, the resulting class needs to still be fun to play. I would strongly recommend going back to the drawing board on this one.

Miss chances already don't stack, so this seems pointless.

Or, in other words, "Spells can never under any circumstances grant a bonus to skill checks, ever." Because all the spells that give you bonuses (heroism and such) are giving you, like, +2, maybe +4, and that's never going to be higher than your regular check.

Okay, so if you're injured, magically healed, and injured again, you wake up dead the next morning? I get the feeling that's not the intent.

A trained animal wouldn't cause trouble if left unattended. Trained animals still obey your orders if you leave the area. The "Stay" trick would be pretty pointless otherwise.

Holy symbols cost 1 gp, or 0 gp if you're a druid or ranger. You'd just carry multiples.

This may lead to problems with math.

9- Manufactured armors and shields; duplicate the AC bonus they give. "Seems like a lot but it's not considering that mudium and heavy armors reduce your movement and gives you a big armor penilizer"This favors mundanes and I'm all for that.
Not really. Spellcasters wear armor too.

thethird
2016-05-06, 04:24 AM
Not really. Spellcasters wear armor too.

Yes, decidedly, they do wear armor too. Too being the key word. This is admitedly unfair to monks, which are already weak, but it is not detrimental to most mundanes.

Troacctid
2016-05-06, 04:28 AM
Yes, decidedly, they do wear armor too. Too being the key word. This is admitedly unfair to monks, which are already weak, but it is not detrimental to most mundanes.
I'm just saying, favoring fighters isn't the same as favoring mundanes. The rule is more detrimental to rogues and monks than it is to spellcasters.

(I mean, it's not "detrimental" in the sense that they're actively nerfed, but you know what I mean.)

Darrin
2016-05-06, 10:43 AM

You could simplify this rule further:

"Every day, spellcasters roll 1d6. On a result of 4, 5, or 6, the player must go sit in the corner for the next two hours and think about what a horrible person they are, and what they could have done differently to avoid rolling higher than a 3."

Wands are already easily consumable items. Your problem here seems to be that wands have significantly more uses than single-use consumables. Maybe try reducing the number of charges from 50 to 10, and maybe adjust the price of wands accordingly (for example, make them 10 times the cost of a potion).

The other problem here is you say you want spells to be crucial to the survival of the group, but you've also introduced a mechanic that makes it highly likely that a spellcaster will be completely incapable of casting any useful spells for several days at a time.

You've also made a lot of spells that could be used to save the party completely worthless or exceedingly tedious to cast (return to temple, track down uncommon/rare material component, go buy another holy symbol, etc.).

Very few spells produce a skill bonus beyond +2 or +4. Guidance of the avatar is the exception here, and you're probably better off just banning that one spell, because it's going to outperform any number of skill ranks up to about 17th level.

Be prepared for the party to spend several weeks camping between encounters.

Sounds more like just more bookkeeping than a fix.

This is an interesting idea. However, it also sounds like it's yet another way to make casting any spell with a saving throw a complete waste of a turn.

Yet another reason to waste your turn trying to cast a spell.

Since the party is already resting at least a week between encounters, sure, let's throw a completely useless sidequest on top of everything else they want to do.

Interesting idea. However, it makes mundane 1st level armies with even basic armor very difficult to hit. A 1st level fighter with chainmail and a large shield has an AC 24, and most 1st level characters are going to need a 20 to hit. While this may make armies more effective, it's also going to make low-level combat much longer, exceedingly tedious, and frustrating for even the melee-focused characters that are supposed to be good at hitting things.

I added some aging effects to some spells, i consider the aging irreversible even by switching bodies "The aging will use percenteges of life expectancy, so elves don't get a free pass".

Be careful of this one... if a PC manages to change their type into dragon, they can use aging effects to increase their age category and get much more powerful in a much shorter time.

*Create Food and Water; only works inside a temple, holy ground or sanctuary. "It makes surviving easy otherwise, wich takes away challenge, and takes away fun. Instead think of it as a way for priests to provide for travelers or resist sieges without running out of provisions"

Not every player considers keeping track of iron rations or hunting down food to be "fun". Then again, with several weeks between encounters... might as well spend some of that time gathering food.

*Limited Wish; determine a limit in words for the wish. "I like to limit it to 6 words"

Can you phrase the wish in German? You can say nearly anything in German with only one word by taking out the spaces.

*Mirror Image; see note about miss chances too. When cast the images appear around you in the adjacent 5' squares, those with no space to appear will not appear. To change position with one of the images requires the use of the 5' step and must be done in your turn. IMPORTANT: an image disapear when they are touched by anything physical bigger than a pellet, they are incorporeal, so creatures of at least of small size, can move into an area occupied by an image without trouble "unless you bump into the caster" an it will disapear (that will cause pertinent opportunity attack from the real wizard if aplicable). It does not affect creatures dependant on smell, hearing, infravision (while in the dark) or other non-conventional senses. OTHER WAYS TO DETECT THE REAL CASTER include atmospheric visible particles (rain, sand, pebbles, blizzards; natural or thown on purpose); ground conditions that leave marks (water, snow, sand, dirt, tall grass; can be caused on purpose by throwing something at the ground). Also you might want to add markers like paint, flour, sheets on thr head, nets or other things that can reveal the real one. "Uff that was long, it's a 2 level spell so it can't be too powerful. You can consider adding a spot check against caster level if you really want to"

How about, "If it takes longer than 10 minutes of arguing to determine if one of the images disappears, then the spell ends."

*Neutralize Poison; requires a sample of the poison affecting the objective.

Good thing there's a sample already included inside the target.

*Rope Trick; resting inside it causes fatigue and makes spell memorization almost imposible. Might also trigger some extraplanar encounter.

Just ban it.

*Time Stop; the spell does not stack with any other time altering effect (including itself). The caster ages 10% its average life expectancy.

Dragons are going to love this one!

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-06, 11:42 AM
Just another on the pile of 'what are you thinking?' regarding your first houserule:

At one end, a 16 int human wizard 1 has 1d20-12 for his spell recovery roll. This means the wizard has a 55% chance of not getting any spells, a 5% chance of getting only cantrips, and a 40% chance of getting the usual spells. Wizards are not overpowered at level 1. A low-OP wizard is outright weak at level 1. This rule is punishing anyone who just wants to throw a couple of magic missiles a day.

At the other end, it takes 56 intelligence to simply recover all spells (levels 0-9) each day, by getting 1d20+8 (minimum 9) on the recovery roll. This is pretty much unreachable in low-OP games, but in mid-high-OP, it's a reasonable target - at least, if the houserule encourages it so badly, you'll know the players will try. Just off the cuff, you can get about +8 int with LA +3 (bought off), with a +6 enhancement bonus, +5 inherent bonus and 5 level increases, for a total of 42 if starting at 18. After that, it's a matter of how much cheese you want: awaken shenanigans, Manipulate Form, or just an artificer hireling (or UMD a schema, if that works) adding a couple of extra bonus types?

I'm also interested to hear how this houserule affects psionics. Can I avoid this mess by simply playing a psion?

pprandom
2016-05-06, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the answers so far!
I'll address some of the stuff you've telling me; i guess i'm too naive about most of it. As i said, what i intend for my sessions is to create some tension and worry. Leaving the rules unchanged make most dire situations easy to overcome, meaning that you'll have to scale the challenge up from the start. That takes away posibilities for game challenges instead of adding to them.
My main desire as a DM is to create a living world for my players, allowing meta game to brake that is usually a no no to me.

Anyway:

- Yeah i guess -15 is a bit too much, but since is a house rule change it to whatever (i changed to -10 in some of my sessions).
The spells mostly affected are the higher level ones. Mostly the idea is for spells to become a valuable resource, and casters to be rare not the norm.
Remember that spellcasters easily have more than 20 spells a day at not very high levels, rarely they'll use them all, so 50% chance of recovering any spell a day is quite a lot.

The whole being at odds and stuff should be obvious to the player too, not a random decision from the DM (most divine character follow some sort of code).

- Banning wands or reducing their charges, the main idea is not them to become every day appliances.

- About druids or other powerful builds; well the game has hundreds of source books ans thousands of spells, give it enough time and some broken stuff will appear. If a class abuses rules just use some in-world sources to keep them level headed, mostly the idea that great power has some consecuence on the character.

-Magic healing makes taking damage a minor setback, that's my main issue with it. If it is too much you can make it 50% work like that or something. Natural healing is not as slow as you might think, specially with a good healer around. It adds more posibilities to explore towns, meet new npc and quests, unconventional encounters, etc.

Gildedragon
2016-05-06, 12:09 PM
So... this is a thing.
Look let's be honest: I've seen a lot of these sort of houserules/system overhauls and they're all alike. These rules aren't to make the game more fun for anyone; they are a way to lord over power over the other players and have an excuse to tell them "no it doesn't work" no matter what they do if what they do doesn't jive with you. It's a control thing, and it says a lot of the trust you have in your players.
My advice: let go of the need to hit players with the nerf stick (note that most of your rules focus on taking things away rather than adding new strengths or routes of action*) and focus on working with the PCs rather than against them.

Also if you want resource scarcity: make them scarce, have adventuring days be longer and resting more difficult to come by (ambushes at night that hamper rest, for example)
With longer days you might want to give spellcasters some eldritch blasty capabilities or reserve featness (tied to their specialization?) or the like, if only to make sure that the player can still contribute once they are out of spells.

*if you must create rules: create a robust social "combat" system for diplomacy, bribing and the like; strengthen the power of skills (in general) and give mundanes more access to them.

Darrin
2016-05-06, 12:52 PM
Look let's be honest: I've seen a lot of these sort of houserules/system overhauls and they're all alike. These rules aren't to make the game more fun for anyone; they are a way to lord over power over the other players and have an excuse to tell them "no it doesn't work" no matter what they do if what they do doesn't jive with you. It's a control thing, and it says a lot of the trust you have in your players.

I wouldn't assign quite so much animosity to this. Most of these house rules are designed to prevent the "15-minute adventuring day". For some DMs (and I'm guessing this is one of them), that's a huge break from the "spirit of the game" or the particular style of gameplay they prefer.

Where you start getting into more blatant antagonism between the DM and players is when there is a large gap between their expectations and playing style. In most groups, there is a HUGE range of opinions on what is "realistic" in a fantasy setting. If the DM thinks that magic spells should be extremely rare and healing from wounds should take as long as it does in real life, then he needs to sit down with the players and explain beforehand, "I'm going to be very strict about these particular issues, and I want you to be aware that a lot of the magical things you're normally used to in a traditional D&D game won't be available, or will be very restricted." So long as all the players agree with the reasoning behind this and accept the restrictions, then there's nothing wrong with running a low-magic gritty-realism style game.

My advice to the OP: a very large portion of the rules in 3.5 assume that the players have easy access to spells and magic items. Trying to play a game with these house rules could create a huge amount of frustration and antagonism, and trying to anticipate the unintended consequences of these rules is going to be difficult. It looks to me like you might be better off finding an RPG that more closely matches the style of game you prefer.

My concern with these rules, if they were presented to me as I sat down at a table, would be: this DM doesn't appear to want me to play D&D, he wants me to play the "You forgot to boil your water, please roll on the Dysentery subtable 6-F" game, and that's not something I think I would enjoy very much.

pprandom
2016-05-06, 04:01 PM
Thanks again, what i'll probably do is just keep the spell changes, wich ware in the end my main issue with this, so if you have more sugestions about that help add some.
Just to add:
When i talked about spells that give skill bonuses i meant spells that give you things like +10 to disguise, etc. So a spell isn't always better than training.
About using skills more; part of that was the proactive response to effects magical or not. I guess increasing the uses of them in/outside of combat would also be great.

Troacctid
2016-05-06, 05:14 PM
+10 to Disguise is not remotely overpowered. Disguise isn't even good. In my entire career as both a player and a DM, I can count the number of times I've seen someone use it on one hand. And your rule doesn't encourage investing ranks into the skill, it discourages it, because there's no point. Under your system, a bard with maxed-out Disguise and high Charisma who uses Disguise Self has the same mod as a wizard with no ranks and 8 Charisma. There's no reward for the bard's investment. So why would anyone even bother putting ranks in?