PDA

View Full Version : Player Help ranger/fighter/warlock multiclass

Delos1989
2016-05-06, 01:22 AM
Hi guys , me and my friends will start a new dnd 5e compaing and i was thinking to play the ranger 3lvl/fighter 2lvl/warlock(rest levels) half-elf character but i have my doupts , maybe dividing the character in 3 classes probably will make him weak in highter levels , the other option i was considering is fighter 5lvl / warlock rest levels . witch is possibly better , any other suggestions ?
*warlock blade pact in all cases .

djreynolds
2016-05-06, 05:23 AM
Can you afford the 13 in wisdom? And 13 in dex and charisma and con? Hunter's mark and hex will compete. I'm unsure how pact of the blade works with dueling weapons, can you conjure 2, unsure? I would go polearm, PAM will give you a bonus attack? And remember you will have a 2nd attack if you choose it, as an invocation

If you take fighter to 5 you will get 2 attacks and save an invocation, but you will have to wait til level 16 to add charisma to your attacks. That's a long time away. I recommend either a fighter and polearm, 2 levels maybe 3. Or you could snag monk and use a quarterstaff with dex, but the wisdom cost is too much. Perhaps rapier and shield could be cool.

What's this guy look like? What kind of weapons? Plate armor, black leather armor, etc. Black Knight, Sith Lord. An image.

Horde breaker is fine. You can always select resilient con, if you do not take fighter first.

JellyPooga
2016-05-06, 06:01 AM
If this is going to be a Warlock with martial dips, you need to ask yourself what, exactly, you want out of those dips.

Ranger 3 can get you Horde Breaker, which is functionally an extra attack and access to some nice spells to use with Pact Magic; notably Cure Wounds, Fog Cloud and Longstrider (Goodberry is also nice). Dueling Fighting Style is probably going to be your best choice; Blade Pact doesn't work with ranged or dual-wielding.

Taking Ranger on to 5th Gets you Extra Attack (saving the Invocation), an ASI/Feat and access to 2nd level Ranger spells; notably the awesomeness that is Pass Without Trace, though Silence, Spike Growth and the Locate spells might also be good, depending on your character style.

You have to ask if 2 levels of Fighter is better than that. You'll get another Fighting Style, Second Wind and Action Surge, which are all great but the only one worth shouting about is Action Surge.

You also have to weigh the cost of delaying your Warlock levels. Being 2 levels behind on your spellcasting can relegate you to the ranks of "secondary caster" at best. Being 3 or more levels behind puts you firmly in the "dabbler" category. This may or may not be of concern to you.

Your Patron is also an important consideration for the style of the character; Blade Pact decides that you're a melee fighter with some arcane backup, but your Patron will decide what kind of melee fighter you'll be; Archfey will make you a mobile debuffer, Fiend will make you quite tanky with some nice AoE's and GOO is probably better suited to a more dedicated caster, but is otherwise a mixed bag.

That will also influence your dips; Fighter/Fiend Patron meshes well because you can grab the Protection Fighting Style for extra tankiness, whilst Ranger/Archfey is not only thematic, but emphasizes your mobility and stealth.

Myself, I'm a fan of Hunter Ranger 5/Archfey Warlock (the rest). Decent cross-class spellcasting options and very stealth/mobility oriented.

MrStabby
2016-05-06, 11:24 AM
Yes, it can work but it's worth asking what you want from each class. Yes you can cope with the MAD but it means no feats...

If most of your actions are going to be the attack action then spellcasting is very much a support. Fey pact spells - mirror image, blink etc. Don't need cha. If you were to skip the lvl12 ability and stop at 5 you can get by with CHA 13.

Corran
2016-05-06, 12:41 PM
Hi guys , me and my friends will start a new dnd 5e compaing and i was thinking to play the ranger 3lvl/fighter 2lvl/warlock(rest levels) half-elf character but i have my doupts , maybe dividing the character in 3 classes probably will make him weak in highter levels , the other option i was considering is fighter 5lvl / warlock rest levels . witch is possibly better , any other suggestions ?
*warlock blade pact in all cases .
Blade or bow? If the latter, take a look at this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?487223-Blade-Pact-is-the-new-king-of-Warlocks) thread, it might help.

Delos1989
2016-05-10, 04:28 AM
Thanks a lot guys for your help i decided to take the path of a ranger 5/ rogue 15 , it is more usefull and i think i can do a lot of dmg in battle and have a lot of fun in rp with this , i imagine a badass mercenary , funny ,with a lot of affection in material pleasures ( food, wine , gold ...) who just happens to be at the wrong place the wrong time and so his quest begins with the other party members :smallbiggrin: