PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Yet another Goblin PC Race

Markoff Chainey
2016-05-06, 04:36 AM
I know, it's been done a lot of times, but most entries I found are too OP or lack flavor or are simply not what I personally envision as goblins. I read many of them and tried to come up with a version that suits my own fantasy about goblins best while being balanced compared to most other races from the PHB. What you read here is mostly not original material, it is mainly a collage taken from other threads. - This is also the reason why I keep it short and simple and without fluff, you find a lot of that on other places easily.

Special mention goes to the authors of the D&D 5e Wiki, Youseemtobemistaken who posted a 5e Gobling Homebrew race and the WoTC article about Zendikar.

I am especially interested in balance and would be happy about some feedback regarding it.

Goblin Traits

Ability Score Adjustments: Your Dexterity Score is increased by 2.
Size: Your size is small.
Movement: Being faster than normal small creatures, your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Dark Vision: You have superior vision in the darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were in bright light and in darkness as if it were in dim light. You can't discern colors in darkness, only shades of black and white.
Nimble Step: Opportunity attacks made against you are made with disadvantage.
Sneaky: You are proficient in the stealth skill.
Languages: You can speak, read and write Common and Goblin.

Subraces

Inhabitants of the wild
Ability Score Adjustment: Your Wisdom score is increased by 1.
Animal Kinship: You can use Wisdom (Animal Handling) on wild animals as if they were domesticated animals. You may also use any animal large enough to carry you as a mount even if it hasn’t been bred or trained for it. If you fail 3 animal handling checks in a row without a success (equal to death saves) on a previously wild animal, it will become outright hostile towards you.
Wilderness Lurker: Moving through difficult terrain does not cost you any extra movement.

City Dwellers
Ability Score Adjustments: Your Charisma score is increased by 1.
Natural Burglar: You have proficiency with thieves' tools.
Mud Slinger: You gain the cantrip vicious mockery, you use Charima as your spell casting ability for this spell.

Underdark Lurkers
Ability Score Adjustment: Your Constitution score is increased by 1.
Lurking in the dark: After attacking a creature with advantage, you may perform a hide check to hide from that creature if you end your turn at least 5 feet away from it (and also not engaged via a reach weapon).
Feral Senses: You have proficiency in the perception skill.

My own thoughts about some features:
- this version of nimble step seems to be the best I encountered so far. It is not as OP as the MM version would be for a player race, yet useable on every turn and it remains relevant from level 1 to 20, is (very) useful for a rogue (not a duplicate) and covers the same situation as the MM version!
- the three subraces constitute the 3 versions of a goblin in my head - the funny wild guys, the annoying city gobo and the dangerous underdark hunter.

Final Hyena
2016-05-06, 05:48 AM
The sneaky trait gives advantage on stealth rolls. I believe this goes against the existing cases of races giving advantages on rolls, as they're all against certain saves. The difference is that with a saving throw you have little choice in what you deal with, whereas pursuing a course based on your skills is easier. I wouldn't say it makes the race too strong, just something to consider.

JNAProductions
2016-05-06, 12:03 PM
I'd just give proficiency in Stealth. Advantage is really freaking powerful. (9th level Rogue Archetype feature, and comes with a penalty to boot.)

Markoff Chainey
2016-05-07, 11:08 AM
Thanks for your feedback!

I see your comments and changed it - for the general race and also for the subrace.

Also, I exchanged the primitive weapon training from the Inhabitants of the wild with "Wilderness lurkers" because from all classes that depend on WIS only the druid would actually benefit from it while all the others already have it.