PDA

View Full Version : Aid another and caster level checks

Max Caysey
2016-05-06, 05:58 AM
Hello peoples...

I was looking ito the whole aid another thing, and I was wondering what your take on a few questions would be.

Is it possible to aid another when it comes to overcoming spell resistance or when counterspelling? Like the possibility when casting via cooporative spell.

How would you rule on caster level checks?

Thurbane
2016-05-06, 06:05 AM
Well, not exactly Aid Another, but a particular Marshal Aura can add his Cha bonus on CL checks to overcome SR.

Necrov
2016-05-06, 06:06 AM
Hello peoples...

I was looking ito the whole aid another thing, and I was wondering what your take on a few questions would be.

Is it possible to aid another when it comes to overcoming spell resistance or when counterspelling? Like the possibility when casting via cooporative spell.

I'd rule no. The SRD for Aid Another is very clear and explicit. You can aid attack rolls, armor class, skill checks and use it in some interaction when an ally is targeted by a spell.

Seeing as caster level checks (counter-spelling and overcoming spell resistance) are not attack rolls, armor class or skill checks, then no you cannot use Aid Another to assist somebody with them.

So RAW, no you cannot.

Which I'm glad of, because it produces a really weird mental image for me. How would one possibly Aid Another in overcoming spell resistance...

Gallowglass
2016-05-06, 11:51 AM
Which I'm glad of, because it produces a really weird mental image for me. How would one possibly Aid Another in overcoming spell resistance...

"C'mon, Falavan! You can do it! Push through the pain! Do it! Blast that Vrock! Do it!" <-- the crossfit commando of spell resistance.

Thurbane
2016-05-06, 04:25 PM
"C'mon, Falavan! You can do it! Push through the pain! Do it! Blast that Vrock! Do it!" <-- the crossfit commando of spell resistance.

I'm guessing that's pretty much how a Marshal does it! :smallbiggrin:

Necroticplague
2016-05-06, 06:22 PM

Nope.

That you can't do it, in accord with the rules.

Thurbane
2016-05-06, 07:19 PM
Can you Aid Another on ability checks? Because if you can, that means you may be able to Aid Another on Initiative checks and Turn Undead checks...

...although I'm pretty sure it only applies to Skill Checks, To Hit rolls or Armor Class.

Recherché
2016-05-06, 07:20 PM
The only way I know how to do something like that is pathfinder witches withe coven her can use a standard action to increase the CL of another witch in their coven by 1. But aside from that specialized cheese no you can't help someone on a CL check