PDA

View Full Version : Bloodsport

JellyPooga
2016-05-06, 07:33 AM
So I've been studying the Encounter Difficulty rules as compared to the critters in the Monster Manual and things seem...a little easy? To that end, I've decided to nail down some numbers to confirm my suspicions, in the form of an arena-style series of encounters. It's just a thought exercise on my part, but rather than keep it to myself, I thought I'd "think out loud" and post it here. I'd appreciate any comments, criticism or suggestions.

The Rules

- All the encounters here are rated Hard or Deadly for a solo Player Character. XP gain is as normal and the PC can only level up during a Long Rest.

- Each encounter is discreet and independent of the next and unless noted otherwise, the PC will be allowed a Short Rest between each encounter and a Long Rest between every four. Unless otherwise noted, assume the following daily timetable;
0600 - Encounter
0900 - Short Rest
1000 - Encounter
1300 - Short Rest
1400 - Encounter
1700 - Short Rest
1800 - Encounter
2100 - Long Rest
Any encounter that runs longer than 3 hours will be considered "failed". The encounter will be terminated at the end of the following rest period and the next encounter will start immediately. The PC will still earn standard XP for surviving the encounter (assuming they do), but will not earn a GP reward (see below) and will have to face the next encounter without the benefits of the Rest they missed.
Any time "saved" by resolving an Encounter before the 3 hour time-limit is added to the next Rest period. The duration of temporary effects (such as spells) deplete at their normal rate (e.g. a spell that lasts 8 hours will be good for a maximum of 2 encounters).

- Each encounter will have different parameters; terrain, arena size, etc. which will be described for each encounter.

- The PC can be any Race/Class/Background combination from the PHB (Core PHB only; no DMG optional Races/Classes, Splatbooks, UA, Homebrew or 3rd party), using 27pt-buy for Ability Scores, starting at level 1. The Feats and Multiclassing optional rules are allowed. Feel free to run characters through my gauntlet and tell me how it goes or suggest builds you think might do particularly well.

- Equipment is to be bought using the average starting gold as per the PC's Class (see PHB pg.143 Starting Wealth by Class). Each encounter yields a reward equal to (100xCharacter Level)gp. Living and Training costs are assumed to be paid for. Reward money can be spent on any equipment desired from the PHB.

- Magic Items may also be purchased. A Maximum of one Magic Item may be purchased per character level and is restricted by level as per the Magic Item Rarity table on pg.135 DMG (i.e. anyone may purchase Common or Uncommon items, Rare items are only available to 5th level or higher characters, etc.). Cost is the upper bound of the suggested values (i.e. Common 100gp, Uncommon 500gp, etc.). Legendary items are not available (as they have no upper bound value). Only the Magic Items in the DMG are available.

So without further ado...

JellyPooga
2016-05-06, 07:34 AM
Day 1

Round 1 - Snitch & Snatch, Kobold Sneaks

The gate opens on to a dimly lit circular room, roughly sixty feet in diameter. Four equally spaced pillars hold aloft a partially collapsed vaulted ceiling and the floor is littered with trash and rubble. Various crates and bits of old furniture litter the room. Sunlight filters through the hole in the ceiling, but barely illuminates the darkness within. You hear a snickering from the deep shadows across the room from you as the gate crashes down at your back.

Arena: The entire room is considered difficult terrain and there is plenty of cover from the pillars and crates (treat as half-cover). A 10' radius in the dead center of the room is illuminated from above (bright light), the rest of the room is considered dimly lit. A Hunting Trap (PHB pg.152) is tethered to each of the North-West and North-Eastern pillars (Perception DC:10 to spot).

Opposition: Two Kobolds (Dagger [+4, 1d4+2], Sling [+4, 1d4+2] and Leather Armour [AC:13]), both of which start the encounter hidden (Perception DC:12 to spot). They are aware of the Hunting Traps and will use them to their advantage, if possible.

XP: 50 (Deadly)

Round 2 - Gorgan Bloodaxe, Orc Warrior

The arena you're thrown into is little more than a sandy pit. Sheer walls, ten feet high and topped with downward pointing spikes prevent any escape and there's no cover you can see. The only thing that greets you is the roar of Bloodaxe himself, brandishing a gore-smeared battleaxe in one hand that he brashly clashes against the iron rim of his shield before charging directly at you!

Arena: 30' square room, 10' high walls, sand floor. Brightly lit. You are thrown in from the top of the wall; Acrobatics DC:10 to avoid taking 1d3 falling damage (the sand cushions the fall somewhat) and falling prone for the start of the encounter.

Opposition: One Orc (Battleaxe [+5, 1d8+3 (Versatile 1d10+3)], Hide Armour and Shield [AC:15])

XP: 100 (Deadly)

Round 3 - Brother Malan, Acolyte of Vecna and Yoren, Dark Cultist

An eerie chanting echoes around the long, vaulted room you find yourself in. Religious decorations with a skeletal motif line the walls and a row of pews to either side of you form a path leading up to a lectern made of human bones. Behind the lectern stands a dark-robed figure, his face shrouded in darkness. He is reciting a blasphemous litany to his dark lord whilst his servant crouches at his feet. The acolyte stops his litany when he sees you enter and they both focus their attention on you. With a rasping sound, the cultist draws a wicked looking scimitar and starts advancing as the priest begins to chant once more.

Arena: The room is 60' across and 120' long. The Acolyte and Cultist stand at one end, 15' from the back wall. You enter at the opposite end. Moving along the pews counts as difficult terrain, due to their close proximity to one another. Moving from pew to pew (length-ways down the room) requires a successful Acrobatics DC:15 check to move at half speed. Failure results in falling prone. The pews are fixed to the ground (Strength or Athletics DC:25 to break). A clear "corridor" 10' wide leads down the center of the room, between the pews. The room is brightly lit.

Opposition: One Acolyte (Club [+2, 1d4], Spell Attack/DC: +4/12, Cantrips: Light, Sacred Flame, Thaumaturgy, 1st level (3 slots): Bless, Cure Wounds, Inflict Wounds)

One Cultist (Scimitar [+3, 1d6+1], Leather Armour [AC:13])

XP: 75 (Deadly)

JellyPooga
2016-05-06, 07:36 AM
[reserved levels 6-10]

JellyPooga
2016-05-06, 07:37 AM
[reserved levels 11-15]

JellyPooga
2016-05-06, 07:38 AM
[reserved levels 16-20]