PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Disciple question

Max Caysey
2016-05-06, 09:02 AM
I am looking into getting some healing for my wizard, but I seem to run into some unexplained questions.

When taking the feat Arcane Disciple it seems to state that I have to chose a deity, which my alighment fits. However it does not say, that I cant have a different patron deity. Example. My wizard 7/ cleric 3/ dweomerkeeper 10 worships (patron) Mystra (my alighment matches Mystra's), but Mystra does not have the healing domain, so I choose Ilmater for the Arcane Disciple feat. Now considering that I am level 3 cleric of mystra does that somehow have any consequenses when Im taking Arcane Disciple?

As far as I can see there are no RAW rules against this, but what about RAI? Do I seem to break the logic somehow here?

darksolitaire
2016-05-06, 09:17 AM
RAI is debateable. I'd say it's against RAI because of the Disciple in the feat name implies that you have more then casual relationship to the deity whose domain you are adopting. Bur I'd also allow your scenario in my games since I don't consider it unbalanced.

Warrnan
2016-05-06, 08:04 PM
All good deities' clerics channel positive energy. It's not much of a stretch to allow a healing domain for any good deity. Check with your gm and bring them a snack. Haha

Max Caysey
2016-05-07, 12:22 PM
All good deities' clerics channel positive energy. It's not much of a stretch to allow a healing domain for any good deity. Check with your gm and bring them a snack. Haha

Indeed. I was re-reading the whole patron deity thing i FRCS yesterday, and they imply that a lot of people pray to different deities when it seem appropriate. Besides the wieird "same alighment as your deity" part, which does not make sense, since thats not even something clerics need. I cant my self see any rules or even setting fluff to go against this...

Psyren
2016-05-07, 02:28 PM
Take Spell domain and use Anyspell to prep (bardic) heals?

Max Caysey
2016-05-08, 01:29 PM
Take Spell domain and use Anyspell to prep (bardic) heals?

I see the fluff might fit better, but I was hoping somehow to get higher healing spells... like that of Mass Heal! :smallbiggrin:

RedMage125
2016-05-08, 02:52 PM
IIRC, Arcane Disciple specifies that it must be a domain belonging to your patron deity, and in FR, a person might pay homage to multiple deities, but only has one patron.

Edit: stupid autocorrect on my phone

thoroughlyS
2016-05-08, 03:11 PM
IIRC, Arcane Disciple specifies that it must be a domain belonging to your patron deity, and in FRANCE, a person might pay homage to multiple deities, but only has one patron.

Arcane Disciple [General]
Choose a deity, and then select a domain available to clerics of that deity. You can learn to cast the spells associated with that domain as arcane spells.
Prerequisite: Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks, able to cast arcane spells, alignment matches your deity's alignment
Benefit: Add the chosen domain's spells to your class list of arcane spells. If you have arcane spellcasting ability from more than one class, you must pick which arcane spellcasting ability this feat applies to. Once chosen, this decision cannot be changed for that feat. You may learn these spells as normal for your class; however, you use Wisdom (rather than the normal ability for your spellcasting) when determining the save DC for the spell. In addition, you must have a Wisdom score equal to 10 + the spell's level in order to prepare or cast a spell gained from this feat. Each day, you may prepare (or cast, if you cast spells without preparation) a maximum of one of these domains spells of each level.
Special: You can take this feat more than once. Each time, you must select a different domain available to the same deity you chose the first time you selected the feat.

It does not mention a patron deity, just a deity. Some of the confusion could be from the phrase your deity, but only once in the prerequisites, whereas in every other example it is not specific.

Amusingly, it could be argued that RAW your alignment only need to match the deity you worship (i.e. being a LG worshiper of Moradin, but taking this feat for the Death domain from Nerull).