PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to 5e (for players who played 2e, 3e, and 4e)

R.Shackleford
2016-05-06, 12:23 PM
Plot Hook: "Y'all been tasked with finding out what happened to the adventurers the King/Queen sent to take out a cult. That was their A-Team and your group is the B-Team, the best of the best after the A-Team."

When the party gets to the cave of the cultist they see where a battle took place and as they go through all the traps are sprung and there are more dead bodies. Eventually they come up to a dead adventurer (only 1 of 5). They keep going and they finally see a big chamber were an epic battle took place.

There they find the dead adventurers and a dead head Rancho cultist near a magic circle (the dead cultist is about to fall into the magic circle from a raised platform above) . As the PCs enter further into the room (probabaly to loot) they scare a few rats which run away and over the cultist body... Causing the body to fall over the edge... They specifically see a crown fall into the circle.

The cave starts exploding and rumbling and all hell is breaking loose.

The PCs have an escape route thanks to the destruction of the cave. As the party starts looking around or heading back to the city a gargantuan (or bigger) creature emerges from the wreckage of the mountain and screams "Blood of blue shall I drink tonight" in a haggard voice. As it raises up the party can see the crown on the creature's head, connected in such a way that it doesn't fall off.

The creature will walk/dash in a narrate speed back toward the capital where the players are from. Their families, friends, and city is in danger.

I'm thinking the creature will be a gargantuan (or bigger) Undead Ankheg that can form mini undead ankheg cultists on its body (think Sin from FFx).

The Ankheg will, mostly, ignore everything and just walk. From time to time it will have an attack (shake) or (acid rain) that will deter the party members. The ability to generate undead ankheg cultist is a natural and automatic response.

The players must climb this beast, fight off its natural defenses, fight against the beast, and reclaim the crown. When they take the crown the body will fall forward skidding along the ground, if ankheg is close to a town or the city it might damage property. With the crown gone the original cultist that dropped the crown is undead and bursts out of the head (Alien style) and the players must defeat him.

I'm going to try and make the climb, which is partially running along the creature's back, dynamic and was wondering if anyone had any ideas? Between the shaking and acid rain I should have enough obstacles that damage/prone the PCs (shake will push and prone... PC can fall off).

I'm thinking about having gnats and mosquitos land on the monster and get transformed. The PCs can then fight those creatures too.

One dynamic I thought about is if a player attacks the Gargantuan Undead Ankheg with a piecing weapon then the GUA will stop moving and swat at the spot after that PC's turn (think lair actions). This deals 1d6 damage and pushes creatures in that location and further down 15' down the body. The ankheg didn't hit the area, that's just the force of the wind from the swat. Players can use this as a trap of their own if they are getting over ran with cultist. Stab, move up to 20' the body, watch as a bunch of enemies get swept away.

The Ankheg can make only so many cultist before it needs to rest (restore magical energies) before making more... The PCs can try to venture further or rest up.