PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Moonshae Sailor/Pirate

JohnStone
2016-05-06, 02:00 PM
I am starting a campaign (hopefully) taking place in the Moonshae Isles. I noticed my group has no Rogue, and I like Rogues sooo....

http://picresize.com/images/rsz_17c10e8a24aaab113a99dd4300f807ad.jpg
I found this picture, she looks like an elf, or half elf pirate.
Now i am starting at lvl 1 so there isn't much to decide as far as mechanics.
However I have very little (zero) knowledge about the Moonshae inhabitants.
We will be starting at the southern tip of Alaron in a port town of Kythyss embarking via caravan to Caer Callidyr
What kind of background could I come up with for this girl?
I think I might prefer Half-elf, possibly.

MintyNinja
2016-05-06, 02:05 PM
May I suggest rolling with your lack of knowledge and going in ignorant of local customs and ways. Perhaps work with your DM to merge Urchin and Sailor into a Stowaway Background. Gives you some thievery and athletics. If you're Level 1 then this is a great way to start your truly epic story.

JohnStone
2016-05-06, 05:46 PM
That would work, I'll have to come up with more detail though.

I was thinking a Half-elf (llewyn or eladrin) Urchin that grew up on the coast (insert major city: Baldurs Gate?)
Then worked aboard a ship to get passage to the isles so she could discover her roots.

But why would she head to Caer Callidyr?

MBControl
2016-05-06, 06:12 PM
You could "Captain Jack" the situation.

Somebody stole your ship, and you're hot on the trail of the thieves that took it!

Regitnui
2016-05-07, 01:27 AM
Stowaway Zen: it is not the destination, rather the ship that you can sneak onto the easiest. She didn't intentionally head for the Moonisles, just away from wherever she was.

Connington
2016-05-07, 11:03 AM
That would work, I'll have to come up with more detail though.

I was thinking a Half-elf (llewyn or eladrin) Urchin that grew up on the coast (insert major city: Baldurs Gate?)
Then worked aboard a ship to get passage to the isles so she could discover her roots.

But why would she head to Caer Callidyr?

I think Regitnui has the right idea. Look, when you owe the local crime boss 50 silver by sundown and you're sitting on 15 coppers and a bit of string, the going and the distance traveled is more important than the destination.