PDA

View Full Version : RP concept regarding Dragon Blood Origin sorcerers

Temperjoke
2016-05-06, 03:15 PM
So I got to thinking (which is usually my first mistake), wouldn't a sorcerer's lifespan be affected by the dragon blood/ancestry in his/her veins? I mean, Half-Elves have a longer lifespan than their human parent possesses, so isn't it reasonable that if a sorcerer's heritage is expressed strongly enough to have scales and sprout wings, wouldn't it affect their longevity as well?

Addaran
2016-05-06, 03:23 PM
There's nothing raw for it, but it makes sense, especially if the ancestor is very close in the line.

I don't see why a DM wouldn't let you steal the half-elf's age expectancy (dwarf, halfling or anything that lives longer then human) since it's mostly just fluff. It's rarely important unless you face something that magically age you or if you have a lot of downtime.

DizzyWood
2016-05-06, 03:30 PM
I am currently playing a half elf sorcerer and I brought this up to my DM and he agreed that it is cool and good fluff. I am away from my book and notes but we agreed that at lvl 14 (I think when ever you get the wings) you also get Draconic Vitality. It is the ability to spend 4 SP (I think) for 5 temp HP. It also slows further aging granting an additional 1/4 your total life span. I hope this helps.

Temperjoke
2016-05-06, 03:31 PM
I don't see why a DM wouldn't let you steal the half-elf's age expectancy (dwarf, halfling or anything that lives longer then human) since it's mostly just fluff. It's rarely important unless you face something that magically age you or if you have a lot of downtime.

Well, that's what got me thinking about it, I mean there are enemy and random effects that can have that effect of rapid aging.

smcmike
2016-05-06, 03:33 PM
It's also possible that dragon blood would burn you out more quickly...

Regitnui
2016-05-06, 03:36 PM
Maybe you have different stats as a child, teenager, adult, and ancient sorcerer...

In all fairness, since even the slightest touch of magic in biology seems to extend lifespan (elves, dwarves, gnomes and tieflings all seem to last longer than humans, goblinoids, orcs and halflings), I'd call it OK. Maybe 'magical' races are preferred prey for life-draining beings just because there's more to be had; elves are preferred above gnomes above humans. Humans are just the easiest and most numerous prey items.

Temperjoke
2016-05-06, 03:37 PM
It's also possible that dragon blood would burn you out more quickly...

That's a good point too, a dragon's vitality in a normal body, you could be burning the candle of your life from both ends.

Regitnui
2016-05-06, 03:45 PM
That's a good point too, a dragon's vitality in a normal body, you could be burning the candle of your life from both ends.

Do dragonborn last longer than humans? PHB says to about 80, so more or less the same... Wait here, I'm going to check a maybe-relevant fact from another franchise...

The Dovahkiin of the Elder Scrolls unsurprisingly has no definite answer on whether those of the Dragon Blood last notably longer or shorter than usual humans. I'm going to assume that they share the same sort of immortality that the dragons do; they can die or be killed, but can be revived indefinitely.

Second edit: The dragon kings of Athas, while perhaps gaining dragonblood rather than being born with it, are functionally immortal. They all seek to turn into dragons, dragons on Athas being the ultimate form of an arcane defiler. That has only been achieved once, to our knowledge, and is the reason the place is such a hellhole. Interestingly, a preserver, who casts arcane spells without harming the environment, will eventually become an Avangion or angel. Needless to say, this hasn't happened yet.

R.Shackleford
2016-05-06, 04:17 PM
This could go backwards too.

Perhaps because of the mixture of blood (genes) your life expectancy is lower.

Basically, the combo of Specific Race + Dragon doesn't work so well :(

Dr. Cliché
2016-05-06, 04:39 PM
So I got to thinking (which is usually my first mistake), wouldn't a sorcerer's lifespan be affected by the dragon blood/ancestry in his/her veins? I mean, Half-Elves have a longer lifespan than their human parent possesses, so isn't it reasonable that if a sorcerer's heritage is expressed strongly enough to have scales and sprout wings, wouldn't it affect their longevity as well?

There is another possibility - “The flame that burns Twice as bright burns half as long.”

Perhaps dragons have little to no magic because it's a part of their longevity. When sorcerers expend their dragonic heritage in frequent and often spectacular displays of magic, they're actually burning away their own lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxHYHPzs7s