PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed The Ultimate Dueliest Small Flightless Bird.

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 04:04 PM
Thread title.

I want a small flightless bird to make into a anthropomorphic creature. Like a kiwi or something.

If I kind find one, I'll be an Abrian.

I think I'll go with Anthropomorphic Chordevoc.

I think it's:
Speed: 10 feet, 30 fly (average)
Stats: +2 Str, +6 Dex, +4 Con, +6 wis, -2 Cha
Blindsense 60, Weapon Finesse, +4 Listen and Spot

So, I will be making a duelist character. Like, a guy good with a sword. I'll need like some 4 level ideas and some 6 level idea.

Maybe I'll take Improved Disarm.

LoyalPaladin
2016-05-06, 04:06 PM
I could swear the dodo bird was one of the options for an improved wizard familiar. But I can't find it anywhere. Maybe a fellow member of the playground can find something better suited to your needs.

Thurbane
2016-05-06, 04:19 PM
Well, not exactly a Kiwi, but there's stats for a Penguin in Frostburn.

There's also stats for Axebeak (A&EG), Ibis (Races of Faerun) and Terror Bird (Fiend Folio), but these are even worse fits than the Penguin.

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 04:23 PM
Well, not exactly a Kiwi, but there's stats for a Penguin in Frostburn.

There's also stats for Axebeak (A&EG), Ibis (Races of Faerun) and Terror Bird (Fiend Folio), but these are even worse fits than the Penguin.

Well, penguin has bad stats.

Ibis could work. It's silly enough.

Terrorbird is too bi- OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-06, 04:45 PM
If you're a dodo, you have a good reason to take Wedded to History. Any of them work, but Elder of Legend is pretty funny. Whenever you enter a tavern, yell "Yes, it is I, the dodo-bird!", and watch the puzzled looks.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-06, 04:48 PM
Terrorbird is too bi- OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?

Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES? I ask to know if we should try to find more stats of birds or make suggestions for the Ibis.

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 04:54 PM
Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES? I ask to know if we should try to find more stats of birds or make suggestions for the Ibis.

What can't it be both.
http://66.media.tumblr.com/48ae0f9828aaa092f61cca7e08980b11/tumblr_mqklh6idum1qbvovho1_500.gif
BUt Ideally, a small bird is best. For comedy value. Maybe one with a somehow really good charisma.

Ibis will have high wis, so maybe a monk, with Whirling Steel Strike (ECS).

ATHATH
2016-05-06, 04:57 PM
Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
Sigged.

EDIT: How do I edit/create my signature on this forum?

Chronikoce
2016-05-06, 04:59 PM
What can't it be both.
http://66.media.tumblr.com/48ae0f9828aaa092f61cca7e08980b11/tumblr_mqklh6idum1qbvovho1_500.gif
BUt Ideally, a small bird is best. For comedy value. Maybe one with a somehow really good charisma.

Ibis will have high wis, so maybe a monk, with Whirling Steel Strike (ECS).

What's that gif from? I recognize it but can't place it.

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 05:00 PM
What's that gif from? I recognize it but can't place it.

It's from the 2013 Rozen Maiden series.

ATHATH
2016-05-06, 05:06 PM
Never mind, I found out how to make my sig (thank you, Honest Tiefling!).

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-06, 05:06 PM
I am not finding many stats on small flightless birds. Is there anyway you can compromise that? I think a hedgehog or puffin would be equally ridiculous. Further, if you change the puffin to a booby you get the benefit of causing immature jokes wherever you go.

Also, I have no idea what that gif is from, but she must have awesome hair for it not to tangle at all.

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 05:11 PM
I am not finding many stats on small flightless birds. Is there anyway you can compromise that? I think a hedgehog or puffin would be equally ridiculous. Further, if you change the puffin to a booby you get the benefit of causing immature jokes wherever you go. Flightless is ideal.

Do you have a hedgehog or puffin? The Hedgehog would be great. One of the people hates Sonic, another is a huge fan.

Also, I have no idea what that gif is from, but she must have awesome hair for it not to tangle at all.

Kirakishou probably learned that from Princess Celestia. :smalltongue:

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-06, 05:16 PM
Stats for a hedgehog familiar are presented on page 203 of the DMG. I assume that would work? You can even roll into a teensy, spiny, adorable ball!

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 05:22 PM
Stats for a hedgehog familiar are presented on page 203 of the DMG. I assume that would work? You can even roll into a teensy, spiny, adorable ball!

Well, technically it's not an animal. If it were. I would have a dex penalty from sizing up to small. :smallfrown:

ATHATH
2016-05-06, 05:27 PM
Have you considered the Wilora?

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 05:49 PM
Have you considered the Wilora?

No, but wow that is amazing. Unfortunately, that sounds best for a sneaky character. And it's crazy.

ATHATH
2016-05-06, 06:46 PM
No, but wow that is amazing. Unfortunately, that sounds best for a sneaky character. And it's crazy.
Throw on Weapon Finesse, perhaps? You could use its Polymorph ability to turn into whatever anthropomorphic, flightless bird you fancy.

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 06:52 PM
Throw on Weapon Finesse, perhaps? No, I mean the 4 levels in abilities that don't make me a swordfighter. :smalltongue:
After that, it's a bit strong for this campaign. I think the DM would eye the double digit mental stat bonuses and dragon mag source with suspicion.

You could use its Polymorph ability to turn into whatever anthropomorphic, flightless bird you fancy.
But we don't have any kiwis. T.T
https://assets.rbl.ms/257819/980x.jpg

Ibis is what I'm looking at.

Thurbane
2016-05-06, 07:13 PM
If you're willing to go 3rd party, Troll Lord's Book of Familiars has stats for a ton of animals (be wary of some of their stat block, however, a Kangaroo is presented as the Fleshraker of the marsupial kingdom - 2d6+4 kick???) including Crane, Hedgehog and Peacock among others.

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 07:25 PM
If you're willing to go 3rd party, Troll Lord's Book of Familiars has stats for a ton of animals (be wary of some of their stat block, however, a Kangaroo is presented as the Fleshraker of the marsupial kingdom - 2d6+4 kick???) including Crane, Hedgehog and Peacock among others.

I don't have that book. :smallfrown:

I think I'll go with Anthropomorphic Chordevoc.

I think it's:
Speed: 10 feet, 30 fly (average)
Stats: +2 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Con, +6 wis, -2 Cha
Blindsense 60, Weapon Finesse, +4 Listen and Spot

Palanan
2016-05-06, 07:35 PM
How about the kakapo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakapo)?

It's the world's only flightless parrot, very long-lived, and also critically endangered, so they're extremely rare. Seems to fit the vibe.

Dromuthra
2016-05-06, 07:39 PM
Pathfinder has a dodo, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/dodo) if your DM will allow it.

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 07:39 PM
How about the kakapo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakapo)?

It's the world's only flightless parrot, very long-lived, and also critically endangered, so they're extremely rare. Seems to fit the vibe.
Unfortunately, DnD doesn't have stats for them. We don't have stats for a lot of comically adorable birds. :smallfrown:

Dromuthra
2016-05-06, 07:41 PM
Unfortunately, DnD doesn't have stats for them. We don't have stats for a lot of comically adorable birds. :smallfrown:

Pathfinder has stats for them though! Saw them when looking for the dodo.

Palanan
2016-05-06, 07:41 PM
If you like, I can brew you up a kakapo.

Just from glancing at it, I'm thinking Scent and Endurance, plus the equivalent of continuous feather fall from the wings.

Dromuthra
2016-05-06, 07:45 PM
If you like, I can brew you up a kakapo.

Just from glancing at it, I'm thinking Scent and Endurance, plus the equivalent of continuous feather fall from the wings.

Pathfinder has one. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/kakapo) :smallwink:

Palanan
2016-05-06, 07:47 PM
The Pathfinder version is weak in the kakapo-Force. Mine would be better. :smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 07:47 PM
Pathfinder has stats for them though! Saw them when looking for the dodo.

Pathfinder has one. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/kakapo) :smallwink:

THose are cool, but their stats are really bad, even after the changes from the template. :smallfrown:

Dromuthra
2016-05-06, 07:50 PM
THose are cool, but their stats are really bad, even after the changes from the template. :smallfrown:

Unfortunately, birds tend to have poor stats. :smallannoyed: It's looking like you should take Ibis or brew up something yourself.

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately, birds tend to have poor stats. :smallannoyed: It's looking like you should take Ibis or brew up something yourself. Poor birds. :smallfrown:

I took the bird from Races of the Wild. It has blindsense and an actually pretty decent str score. It's not flightless, though. D;

Palanan
2016-05-06, 07:57 PM
Oddly, the generic Pathfinder parrot has better stats than the kakapo, for some reason I can't fathom.

And the Pathfinder kakapo overlooks some key features of the bird, such as its strong sense of smell (vitually unknown in most other birds) and its long-distance running stamina. I'd also give it some form of short-range blindsense, or something similar, to account for its vibrissae.

Really, there's a ton of cool features to work with here.

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 08:04 PM
That's cool and all but the bird has been chosen!
http://66.media.tumblr.com/71b6b79e4d97043d5aed9503952cc06f/tumblr_mh01yusxHP1qlp4aro1_500.gif
Time to make him into the ultimate duelist.

Thurbane
2016-05-06, 10:37 PM
So how does Ibis come out when it has the template slapped on it?

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-06, 10:40 PM
Hmm... for my own tinkering, can anthropomorphic*be applied to a murder of crows swarm?

Anyways, on to builds. Are flaws in use? If so then getting to mark of xoriat for the DR could help with the lightly armored duelist feel. Also feels almost criminal to not make use of that tasty wis boost.

How about Fighter-1/swordsage-2/rogue-1.
With flaws that puts you at 5 feat.
1-aberant dragonmark-shield (prereq for #2)
2-mark of madness (prereq for #3)
3-mark of xoriate (DR 5/something rare that sells well)
4-Some way to boost damage. Hidden talent? Knowledge Devotion?
5-craven (or does that require more sneak attack?)/some other damage booster.

Alternitivly swordsage-2/psychic warrior-2 should be able to pull off a few fun tricks. Could at least fuel a deep crystal sword for a bit more oomph in melee, and look cool to boot.

ben-zayb
2016-05-06, 11:05 PM
Looks like I was late to the party, but I thought of backporting PF's Velociraptor and refluffing it closer to its very birdlike RL form.

Snowbluff
2016-05-06, 11:06 PM
So how does Ibis come out when it has the template slapped on it?
Not bad. I just like the blindsense better than... wading.

Hmm... for my own tinkering, can anthropomorphic*be applied to a murder of crows swarm?

Huh... probably. o.o
You'd be a swarm of creepy birdmen.

Anyways, on to builds. Are flaws in use? If so then getting to mark of xoriat for the DR could help with the lightly armored duelist feel. Also feels almost criminal to not make use of that tasty wis boost.

How about Fighter-1/swordsage-2/rogue-1.
With flaws that puts you at 5 feat.
1-aberant dragonmark-shield (prereq for #2)
2-mark of madness (prereq for #3)
3-mark of xoriate (DR 5/something rare that sells well)
4-Some way to boost damage. Hidden talent? Knowledge Devotion?
5-craven (or does that require more sneak attack?)/some other damage booster.

Alternitivly swordsage-2/psychic warrior-2 should be able to pull off a few fun tricks. Could at least fuel a deep crystal sword for a bit more oomph in melee, and look cool to boot.
Hm.. Interesting. Some Dr would be cool, and I don't do a lot with Dragonmarks.

I was thinking Swordsage Ardent.