PDA

View Full Version : Urban Companion Question

Barbarian Horde
2016-05-06, 04:06 PM
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a

Urban Companion

The fearsome animal companions who accompany some casters in the wild are indeed a boon in combat, but a hulking wolf or creeping tiger is out of place in an urban environment. Some characters believe that small and subtle is of greater value than massive and mighty.

Class: Druid or ranger.

Level: 1st (druid) or 4th (ranger).

Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain an animal companion.

Benefit: The character gains the companionship of a smaller but far more intelligent creature than she otherwise would have. This is identical to the sorcerer's ability to summon a familiar (PH 52), including all benefits granted and gained by the familiar, except as noted below. Her functional level for determining the abilities of the companion is equal to her druid level or one-half her ranger level.

She does not lose experience points if her urban companion is slain, and she requires only 24 hours to replace one who is lost.

Her urban companion has total hit points equal to 3/4 her own hit points, rather than half as per a familiar.

The urban companion gains the ability to speak with other animals of its kind when she has an effective master level of 1st, rather than 7th.

When she reaches an effective master level of 7th, she can speak with animals of her companion's kind, as per speak with animals. This is a supernatural ability that functions constantly, and it requires only a free action to reactivate if somehow dispelled.

The character gains the companionship of a smaller but far more intelligent creature than she otherwise would have. This is identical to the sorcerer's ability to summon a familiar.

Does this mean they have to pick from the familiar list, or can they maintain their ability to befriend what ever creature as long as it's something you would see in an urban setting?

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-06, 04:21 PM
Given that it says it is identical to the sorcerer's ability, I assume the sorcerer list. Is there a particular one you want, or do you just want to be BFFs with whatever critter you come across?

Barbarian Horde
2016-05-06, 04:37 PM
I mean if I want to play with a dog I don't see that it would be a problem.
Maybe a rat, cat, horse, etc in general. I just figured that as long as it wasn't a dire ape, bear, trex, but something smaller and more intelligent that you find in an urban setting it would be alright.

BowStreetRunner
2016-05-06, 04:39 PM
Does this mean they have to pick from the familiar list, or can they maintain their ability to befriend what ever creature as long as it's something you would see in an urban setting?
RAW it seems pretty clear that you use the familiar list from the PHB. However, most DMs I have played with were fairly liberal in their willingness to apply the statement on page 200 of the DMG where it says "Changes to the rules on familiars in the Player’s Handbook are completely under the DM’s control." It immediately lists a bunch of additions and alternate options afterward.

I would ask your DM, and even go so far as to think about what sort of creature you are looking for and how you would suggest it be handled before talking to the DM.

For instance, if I was going to play an urban ranger with a monkey animal companion in an Arabian setting, when I would approach the DM with such a suggestion, I would mention that the Reflex Saves or Climb bonus seemed likely granted abilities.

Barbarian Horde
2016-05-06, 04:49 PM
Yeah unfortunately this DM is bit of a rule lawyer, firm believer in raw.
Oh well I guess.

Barbarian Horde
2016-05-06, 05:34 PM
Sorry for double post, but it just occurred to me can I pick from the improved familiar list seeing how it still belongs to the sorcerer's list?

eggynack
2016-05-06, 08:05 PM
Sorry for double post, but it just occurred to me can I pick from the improved familiar list seeing how it still belongs to the sorcerer's list?
You're not picking off some arbitrary list for your own familiar. You're pretty much getting the whole ability, and part of that ability is the list of familiars, and the list of familiars associated with said ability does not include improved familiars. Basically, if a sorcerer can't do it, then neither can you.

Coidzor
2016-05-07, 12:50 AM
The standard list of familiars got some expansions in Dragon Magazine in two different issues.

If your DM is a stickler for RAW, it's unlikely that he'd allow you to take the Improved Familiar feat and have it apply to your Urban Companion.