PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Called shots discussion D&D 5e

1Forge
2016-05-06, 04:15 PM
So I've been home brewing my games since day one (much to my regret) I used to apply a certain called shot rule that was terribly unbalanced, so I decided to have another go at developing a fair system for calling shots in melee and while at range, but before I create a mechanic I want to hear what others in the community do, and what suggestions you have (after all if there's a system already out there I don't need to make a brand new one)

Please post your thoughts below on possible methods, and what you have done in the past. (also please note that I'm trying to find a rule that would work in my sci-fi setting also) Thanks either way!

(P.s. In case you didnt know a "called shot" is an attack where the players target specifically target, or call out, a specific item or section of the body to attack usually in such a way as to disable, dismember, or specifically sunder a target area. Ex: "I attempt to slice at my opponents left hand causing my foe to drop their weapon" or "I wish to jam my daggers into the knights leg cutting his hamstring")

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-05-06, 10:56 PM
Looking for it now, but someone on a blog came up with a rather elegant rule for called shots, or specifically dismemberment.

I'll try to sum it up:

You make a called shot at Disadvantage
Humanoids die if they lose limbs, so this does nothing to them unless it reduces them to 0 hp
Monsters with special body parts (wings, tails, multiple appendages, etc) have anywhere from 1/4 to 1/8 of their HP in such limbs. Causing enough damage to equal the amount in a limb reduces that from the monster's life total and removes the use of the limb, or at least use at disadvantage
Creatures that are ALL extra limbs (such as Krakens) divide their HP equally between limbs. Destruction of all limbs equals death of the creature

Hope that info is useful for you.

quinron
2016-05-07, 12:41 AM
I've taken a similar approach, but I've also given the ability to make a normal attack (no disadvantage) that deals no damage in order to cripple the limb for the creature's next turn - it only works with weapons/spells/abilities that require an attack roll. Crippling an arm prevents spellcasting with somatic components or a dropped weapon, crippling a leg means speed is reduced by 1/(# of limbs), crippling the head means a condition related to what part you damaged - blinded for eyes, deafened for ears, you get it.

Zman
2016-05-07, 10:38 AM
The problem with called shot is that they are at odds with the abstract Damage/Defense system in DnD. Trying to impose a called shot system, usually only used by PCs, terribly unbalances a game. Ow, there is a system for disarming,met with opposed rolls but they are not called shots and shouldn't deal additional damage.

This is how "called shots" work with abstract systems.

Player: "I shoot him in the throat." Roll to hit, hits, rolls damage.
DM: "You shot narrowly missed his throat, but puts him on the back foot." You hit, he lost HP equal to your damage, but he still has some left.

Alternatively

DM: "Your shot punches right through his throat, you hear gurgling as he gasps for breaths I the moments before he falls." You hi, your damage reduces him to 0HP, he is not plot centric, therefore he just does.

If you are homebrewing a system, make them attack at disadvantage, cannot be used if they already have disadvantage, and have a set list of possible called shots i.e. Reduce movement for one turn, drop weapon, etc. be very careful how powerful this is, and make sure enemies use them too to full effect.

1Forge
2016-05-07, 10:58 PM
The problem with called shot is that they are at odds with the abstract Damage/Defense system in DnD. Trying to impose a called shot system, usually only used by PCs, terribly unbalances a game. Ow, there is a system for disarming,met with opposed rolls but they are not called shots and shouldn't deal additional damage.

This is how "called shots" work with abstract systems.

Player: "I shoot him in the throat." Roll to hit, hits, rolls damage.
DM: "You shot narrowly missed his throat, but puts him on the back foot." You hit, he lost HP equal to your damage, but he still has some left.

Alternatively

DM: "Your shot punches right through his throat, you hear gurgling as he gasps for breaths I the moments before he falls." You hi, your damage reduces him to 0HP, he is not plot centric, therefore he just does.

If you are homebrewing a system, make them attack at disadvantage, cannot be used if they already have disadvantage, and have a set list of possible called shots i.e. Reduce movement for one turn, drop weapon, etc. be very careful how powerful this is, and make sure enemies use them too to full effect.

What if these called shots did half damage along with being harder to land? (for example in fencing it's not uncommon to snipe the hand cutting it but not causing serious injury much less dismemberment) And of course certain items would protect you (a basket hilted sword would protect the hand completely, and a helmet would protect the head. ) But despite being harder to land and doing less damage they would still have a chance of hampering the opponent.

Maybe it's like the base AC of the opponent plus a small modifier depending on the target? or would flat disadvantage be better?

Zman
2016-05-09, 07:45 PM
What if these called shots did half damage along with being harder to land? (for example in fencing it's not uncommon to snipe the hand cutting it but not causing serious injury much less dismemberment) And of course certain items would protect you (a basket hilted sword would protect the hand completely, and a helmet would protect the head. ) But despite being harder to land and doing less damage they would still have a chance of hampering the opponent.

Maybe it's like the base AC of the opponent plus a small modifier depending on the target? or would flat disadvantage be better?

I hink flat disadvantage is better, couple it with a finite list of comparable results. Some could deal full damage and an effect, others half damage and a better result, or just a good result comparable to a maneuver or a Shove.

manny2510
2016-05-09, 08:37 PM
What kills the crab is that all my int > 10 creatures would call shots.

1Forge
2016-05-09, 11:11 PM
What kills the crab is that all my int > 10 creatures would call shots.

I don't know if that would always be an issue, for some it could be attributed to instinct, and of course the DM could always rule out this option for some creatures, but the option could make encounters more interesting.