PDA

View Full Version : Cambat Facing...

Guinaur
2007-06-25, 08:03 AM
I just started using the Combat Facing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/combatFacing.htm) variant rule in a new campaign of mine, and I must say that I am impressed on how much it has improved the feel of combat so far. Usually when the lvl.1 party fights a few CR1/2 creatures, it was very boring. But this time, the added tactical options made the fights they had so far very fun.

I am interested in hearing what others on the forum have to say about the Cambat Facing variant rule, and how it works for them?

Matthew
2007-06-25, 08:56 AM
I have to admit that I have never really used Combat Facing in D&D 3.x, but did use it in previous editions of the game. I think, overall, I preferred using Combat Facing, even given its limitations.

Zincorium
2007-06-25, 08:56 AM
I haven't used it simply because my players are not as much into the 'tactical wargame' aspect of combat, more the slashy-flashy description heavy but abstract stuff.

That said, I think that while it's probably a good thing that it's not the standard way of playing, the facing rules are extraordinarily well thought out and detailed for a variant rule in unearthed arcana (see the gestalt section for something that could use some more rules support).

The problem being that it does take more attention and time in combat, which for melee characters may be a good thing, as opposed to the 'roll, check for hit, roll, damage' rut.