PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How much does it gonna cost?

theboss
2016-05-07, 07:45 AM
Hi there playground,
me and my group are arguing about the cost of Permanent Enlarge Person, can someone please explain the math to me?
Further, if anyone can give me the link which explains about Crafting Magic Items?

Thanks in advance!

Inevitability
2016-05-07, 07:48 AM
Note: I'm assuming all of this is done by a 9th-level caster and no CL-lowering cheese is used.

First, the caster casts Enlarge Person on you. This costs 9 x 10 GP, so 90 GP, as per the Spellcasting Services rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spellcastingAndServices).

Said caster then casts Permanency. The base price is 50 x 9 = 450 GP, but Permanency also carries an XP cost: 500 XP in this case. This increases the price by 500 x 5 = 2500 GP.

The total price will be 90 + 450 + 2500 = 3040 GP.

theboss
2016-05-07, 09:02 AM
Note: I'm assuming all of this is done by a 9th-level caster and no CL-lowering cheese is used.

First, the caster casts Enlarge Person on you. This costs 9 x 10 GP, so 90 GP, as per the Spellcasting Services rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spellcastingAndServices).

Said caster then casts Permanency. The base price is 50 x 9 = 450 GP, but Permanency also carries an XP cost: 500 XP in this case. This increases the price by 500 x 5 = 2500 GP.

The total price will be 90 + 450 + 2500 = 3040 GP.

And how about a magic item of permanent enlarge person? How much would that cost?

OldTrees1
2016-05-07, 09:26 AM
And how about a magic item of permanent enlarge person? How much would that cost?

A lot. There is a ring in Savage Species that is limited to about 10 minutes per day and costs a fair amount. This is to be expected because turning a permanancy'd spell into a magic item removes the drawback that results in the cheaper price.

Inevitability
2016-05-07, 09:32 AM

The nearest item is probably the Ring of Reduction, from Lords of Madness, which gives creature type-independent Reduce Person for 10000 GP. Convincing your DM to allow a similar ring that enlarges instead should be easy.

Necroticplague
2016-05-07, 10:07 AM
From a different perspective, the magic item creation guidelines give us the following rule of thumb for continuous items: spell level*caster level* 2000, with an additional multiplier based on duration. So for a Continuous Item of Enlarge Person, it would be 1*1*2000*2 (multiplier for minute/cl spells)=4000 GP. Which, given the Ring of Reduction, and accounting for only working for one type instead of all of them, seems fair enough.

Khedrac
2016-05-09, 03:40 AM
From a different perspective, the magic item creation guidelines give us the following rule of thumb for continuous items: spell level*caster level* 2000, with an additional multiplier based on duration. So for a Continuous Item of Enlarge Person, it would be 1*1*2000*2 (multiplier for minute/cl spells)=4000 GP. Which, given the Ring of Reduction, and accounting for only working for one type instead of all of them, seems fair enough.
Err, no. The item creation rules explicitly state that the formula is only used if there is not an existing similar item to base the price off.

A lot. There is a ring in Savage Species that is limited to about 10 minutes per day and costs a fair amount. This is to be expected because turning a permanancy'd spell into a magic item removes the drawback that results in the cheaper price.And OldTrees1 has found the existing similar item to start with...