PDA

View Full Version : Pc in need of a name

Nosta
2016-05-07, 01:28 PM
so I will be playing a Half ogre Mineral warrior goliath crusader
and I need a name for my pc. He is a brute who loves combat and he lives for the thrill of fighting tougher and tougher foes
He wears a suit of Blood red fullplate and carries around a large black great sword with red gems running down the center of the blade

I need to things
He himself needs a name,

and his blade needs a name,
the great sword is a +1 Bane of human wounding unholy greatsword

mabriss lethe
2016-05-07, 01:39 PM
Well, you have possible options:

1. You can play into the trope and give him some fierce name that strikes terror into everyone who hears it ( Thrakbash the Face-eater)

or

2. You can play against the trope in a couple of ways
a. Give him a name that would be considered very effete and foppish (Lord Amberly Estellan Poofington III of the Tinkledown Poofingtons)
b. Give him a normal name. (Larry Brewster)

The same options apply to his weapon

Droopy McCool
2016-05-07, 02:45 PM
I highly recommend Sue (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gbtm-93oqE). Gives you a good backstory too.

McCool

Toilet Cobra
2016-05-07, 02:58 PM
so I will be playing a Half ogre Mineral warrior goliath crusader
and I need a name for my pc. He is a brute who loves combat and he lives for the thrill of fighting tougher and tougher foes
He wears a suit of Blood red fullplate and carries around a large black great sword with red gems running down the center of the blade

I need to things
He himself needs a name,

and his blade needs a name,
the great sword is a +1 Bane of human wounding unholy greatsword

Galron Mountainsson
and his mighty blade, Manrender

Theobod
2016-05-07, 03:09 PM
Seconding Manrender for the sword, that's just gnarly.
As for the half ogre, mountain dwelling, mineral deposit imbued wielder of said blade..... that sounds like an ugly backstory.
Gormagon the Bastard?

Dravda
2016-05-07, 03:23 PM
I'm trash at coming up with good names, so I rely on Fantasy Name Generators (http://fantasynamegenerators.com/) for most of my naming needs.

Gildedragon
2016-05-07, 03:32 PM
Goliath: Sparkles
Cause... Well he's got shiny bits sticking out of him all over
Blade: Bloodstream

A_S
2016-05-07, 03:37 PM
Ernesto.

His sword is also named Ernesto.

Âmesang
2016-05-07, 04:51 PM
I had a similar character intended to be used as a future BBEG-type, though a half-giant with a hammer of thunderbolts — Thornevald Helmson. Though I suppose going for something Norse-like is kind of cheating.

When all else fails, go with the name listed on your figurine (if you're using one and it has a listed name). :smalltongue:

a. Give him a name that would be considered very effete and foppish (Lord Amberly Estellan Poofington III of the Tinkledown Poofingtons)
I've actually got plans on playing as a half-orc with just such a name, the son of a noblewoman and the hired help, but when (far far far) outside his homeland he goes by the name "Rockbiter" in an attempt to sound tough (after trying to prove himself such by, well, biting a rock and breaking a tusk).

…but if he ever comes back home, oh boy! :smallbiggrin:

Fosco the Swift
2016-05-07, 08:02 PM
I'm terrible at creating names as well, so my go-to are the Wikipedia lists that have given names for different nationalities. The beauty of this method is that it tends to avoid fake, fantasy-sounding names. It's hard to beat the real thing.
For a tough character, the obvious choices would be Russian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Russian_masculine_given_names) or Scandinavian/Norse (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Scandinavian_masculine_given_names).

Avvakum
Kjartan
Mikhail
Torvald
Vladamir

Check other nationalities too, you may find one you like.

denthor
2016-05-07, 08:30 PM
He is an orge death harald forkbeard.

ATHATH
2016-05-07, 09:07 PM
My usual method of name generation: Put something relevant to your character in an online English to Latin translator. If there aren't any good names generated, rearrange the letters of something relevant to your character.

Reog could be a good name, for example.

Dravda
2016-05-08, 01:20 AM
My usual method of name generation: Put something relevant to your character in an online English to Latin translator. If there aren't any good names generated, rearrange the letters of something relevant to your character.

Reog could be a good name, for example.

Alternate method: punch the keyboard, then add vowels. :smalltongue:

Âmesang
2016-05-08, 09:39 AM
The last time I punched a keyboard I broke my laptop. :smalleek:

Dotafanatic
2016-06-09, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I would go for one of all the generators available on the net.
Found this: http://www.namegenerator.biz/game-name-generator.php

OldTrees1
2016-06-09, 03:11 PM
I always love using hard and soft sounds (as fits the culture) when creating non Human names.

Rhuk
Craa
Gruk
Verd
Jour

As for weapons it depends on the smith that made the sword. As you described it, its major feature is the trail of red gems down the black blade.

Blackblade is a obvious possibility
Bloodyroad focuses on the gems

AnimeTheCat
2016-06-09, 03:28 PM
I always love using hard and soft sounds (as fits the culture) when creating non Human names.

Rhuk

Rhuk is actually the name of some mystical force from an anime called Magi :smallbiggrin: So there's that. I like it.

I would say look at the "suggested names" part for whichever race he grew up in/was named by to find one you like, then make subtle changes to it. Another option is to do what someone else has said and isolate some major part of the character's back story or history and use it in the name. I'm not a huge fan of putting "man" in front of something, but that's just personal taste. Just a few I can think of are:

Orlic Stonegrafted and his sword Hunter
Grommar Half-Breed and his sword Slayer
Urthus Mountainborn and his sword Bloodseeker