PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dragonlance Mystic: Spell List Question

Starry Wisdom
2016-05-07, 04:25 PM
I have been preparing to run a Dragonlance game (3.5) and I was wondering if anyone might have a clarification on the text for the Mystic class.

It does not say specifically what spell list it uses, (I will assume the Cleric). However, with the way the class uses domains, both mystic and normal. It says it adds the domain spells to the spell list of the class itself. Which would make no sense to the flavor of domain spells. How, would that work if someone picked a domain that had most of its spells already on the cleric list. That would mean it would have a duplicate?

Or is it when a player picks a mystic any spell that is on a domain list is removed from the list of spells available to that class. It would make for a more unique experience and would be more consistent with how the text is written, especially for Mystics who pick domains such as Sun, where it says that those spells are exclusive to those who possess that domain.

Thank you in advance.

Psyren
2016-05-07, 04:37 PM
It does not say specifically what spell list it uses, (I will assume the Cleric).

Are you sure you read that fully? I see this right on the page (DrlCS 48):

"A mystic casts divine spells chosen from the cleric spell list."

However, with the way the class uses domains, both mystic and normal. It says it adds the domain spells to the spell list of the class itself. Which would make no sense to the flavor of domain spells. How, would that work if someone picked a domain that had most of its spells already on the cleric list. That would mean it would have a duplicate?

Dragonlance Mystics are spontaneous casters. What you're supposed to do, if a domain gives you Spell X, is simply not choose Spell X as part of your repertoire from leveling up. You can use your domain spells just as many times per day as your normal ones, so there's no benefit to doubling up.

Starry Wisdom
2016-05-07, 05:09 PM
Well, thank you. I guess I did miss that on the Mystic page. I wonder what else I missed.

ATHATH
2016-05-07, 05:31 PM
I recommend being a Spontaneous Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) instead of a Mystic.