PDA

View Full Version : How would you price this item?

Jowgen
2016-05-07, 07:07 PM
Forceward, SpC, as a continuous custom item. In short, blocks all force effects in an emenation. This seems like the kind of item where the pricing guidelines don't quite reflect the actual usefulness, but I can''t think of any similar items either.

So yeah, I'm asking how you would personally price an item of this. Like a ring that emenates the forceward.

Troacctid
2016-05-07, 07:24 PM
I just wouldn't make it continuous, because that drives the price up to prohibitive levels. Put it at 2/day with an immediate activation, and you can make it a lot cheaper.

If it needs to be always-on to protect a specific location, then making it part of the architecture (and therefore immobile) will help.

MisterKaws
2016-05-07, 09:33 PM
That's where D&D gets tricky: most defensive effects of that sort are REALLY cheesy when turned into unlimited items. You should do it as Troacctid said and make it a X/day item. If someone allows those sorts of items, sooner or later someone will try to sneak in a use-activated item of Wings of Cover.

Gildedragon
2016-05-07, 09:47 PM
Edit (finger slipped) The guidelines put it somewhere in excess of 100,000
High but immunity to force effects... Well immunity to other elemental types is a fair bit cheaper iirc

Jowgen
2016-05-09, 06:04 AM
The thing that throws a wrench into my considerations for this, the more I look into it, is how much this spell would affect the game beyond just granting a form of Force-immunity.

A character with this spell active on them can't use their Wand of Wings of Cover, their Talisman of the Disk, sleep in a Tiny Hut, benefit from the mage-armor or Shieldline of spells, or use certain high-end defenses like Cube of Force. Its limiting in much the same way that Silence is as a defense against Sonic.

Then there are unforseen effects. Like, what happens when a Riverine weapon enters a Forceward? Or when a force-warded character walks into a stronghold that has walls of Force as part of their construction?

Lastly, there is overall game balance. It seems to me like an accessible hard counter to force-effects benefits mundanes a lot more than casters. A melee fighter with a Forceward can charge at a Sorcerer through a Bladebarrier, and then roll an attack without worrying about the Greater Magearmor, contingent spell Wall of Force, or immediate action wings of cover. He has of course done this in revenge for the failed attempt on his life with an Explosive Runes book bomb.

Theobod
2016-05-09, 06:43 AM
I would go for the standard guidelines. In this case it's not just immunity to force it's a hell of a lot of other usefulness and thus is easily worth more than an energy immunity. Autocountering area force spells and warding against incorporeals is very handy and negating force effects allows passing straight through permenant walls of force like those in the SBG and owners of riverine find themselves soaking wet in the area (after removing the item the DM will have to rule how a now empty force sword with no weight, visibility or mass works, my guess is badly and needs to be submerged in water and overlapped by the same effect briefly to fix). Easily worth the 112k in the right game.
I would understand a discount however if DMs wanted due to its inconvenience, however constant effect doesn't necessarily mean always on, could have a command word to activate/deactivate or can just be removed and donned when needed, such as on an amulet or ring. However at that point using the x/day guidelines may be more sensible at 10,080/use/day.

Tldr: if you are fighting incorporeals and dealing with force spells more often than not go for it, if it's less common use x/day, either method works fine considering the overall effects granted by the spell and doesn't need special rulings.

Bronk
2016-05-09, 07:05 AM
I'm not sure this item would even be usable as a continuous item because the spell is so oddly worded.

As it's written, the forceward spell creates an 'unmovable' shell of force around your location when it is cast. So, when you put it on, the shell is created, but when you moved, the shell wouldn't move with you. Later, it states that even if it did move with you, creatures and effects aren't affected by it in that way. It looks like that portion of it might be a carryover from a previous version of the spell, but still.

Long story short, you'd have to keep taking it off and putting it back on (and then staying still) to get it to work they way you'd think it should work. You wouldn't be able to automatically move through force walls either, which is a bummer, but it's pretty nifty that the spell affects them at all in the first place.

Given that, it would probably deserve a price discount!

Theobod
2016-05-09, 07:32 AM
I think that due to the spell effectively contradicting itself due to having a clause for moving and stating the sphere is immobile the DM would have to rule one way or another. If they rule as 'you can't move it but it moves with you' go for it as is, if they rule 'it doesn't move with you and that scentance is void, ignore it' then go for x/day or a wand of it.