PDA

View Full Version : Mystery feature/spell/magic item.

Elite Hatter
2016-05-07, 07:18 PM
Hello playground, I have a dilemma. I was discussing the "hierarchy" if you will of defensive phases. From lowest to highest:
Vulnerability
Normal damage
Resistance
Immunity
Healing for the damage done

I found this described as the effect of... something and now can't locate it. If you know what feature or item or spell gives this benifit I would love to know.

uraniumrooster
2016-05-07, 07:25 PM
I think you're looking for Absorption?

Some creatures in the MM have it... certain Golems and Shambling Mounds come to mind.

Whenever the creature is subject to [Damage Type], it takes no damage and instead regains a number of HP equal to the damage dealt.

Edit: As far as I can tell, it always applies to just one specific elemental damage type. There aren't any magic items or spells I know of that grant it to players directly. Off the top of my head, the only way for a player to gain it would be through Shapechange (no constructs) or True Polymorph.

Elite Hatter
2016-05-07, 07:40 PM
Damn. I thought I read a spell that let you gain resistance to a damage type, if you already had it, you'd gain immunity, and if you had that, you'd get Absorbtion.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-05-08, 07:15 AM
Damn. I thought I read a spell that let you gain resistance to a damage type, if you already had it, you'd gain immunity, and if you had that, you'd get Absorbtion.

The Dragon Masks in Tyranny of Dragons do that.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-08, 07:28 AM

There's a spell called Absorb Elements on page 15 of the Elemental Evil Player's Companion, but it doesn't give you damage absorption, just adds 1d6 of that element to your next attack. That's the closest thing I can think of.

EvanescentHero
2016-05-08, 09:08 AM
There's a spell called Absorb Elements on page 15 of the Elemental Evil Player's Companion, but it doesn't give you damage absorption, just adds 1d6 of that element to your next attack. That's the closest thing I can think of.

It also gives you resistance to the triggering damage type, but no, it doesn't heal you.

Elite Hatter
2016-05-08, 10:23 AM
The Dragon Masks in Tyranny of Dragons do that.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was trying to remember.