PDA

View Full Version : Reactions in 5th edition

Sploggle1
2016-05-07, 09:22 PM
I know that you cannot use a spell for a bonus action unless it specifically says you can, but I ran into some confusion while running into a spell like this. I have a player running a war priest and the spell says that it can be used as a bonus action for a reaction. Reaction is when the enemy attacks right?

RickAllison
2016-05-07, 09:33 PM
Reactions are dependent on certain circumstances, but those are not consistent. Shield and Absorb Elements work on being hit, Feather Fall is based on falling, opportunity attacks have specific criteria, Sentinel reactions have different criteria, etc.

Basically, let's start with what spell you are talking about, because reactions as a whole are too diverse to really discuss. In fact, very few reactions are keyed off an enemy attacking. The only one I can think of is a chosen Readied action.

Rysto
2016-05-07, 09:36 PM
Basically, let's start with what spell you are talking about, because reactions as a whole are too diverse to really discuss. In fact, very few reactions are keyed off an enemy attacking. The only one I can think of is a chosen Readied action.

The Light Cleric's Warding Flare ability is a reaction to an attack.

Sploggle1
2016-05-07, 09:38 PM
Actually I just found it. He's using the tempest domain so its the wrath of the storm. It does say when an enemy attacks, So I'll have to correct him next time on that.

I've been playing 3.5 for years so I've been trying to get used to the new rules

RickAllison
2016-05-07, 09:45 PM
The Light Cleric's Warding Flare ability is a reaction to an attack.

Ahh okay, I was looking at spells and not abilities. Awesome, every time I am corrected, it is because I am learning something new :smallsmile:

Sploggle1
2016-05-07, 09:48 PM
Ahh okay, I was looking at spells and not abilities. Awesome, every time I am corrected, it is because I am learning something new :smallsmile:

I can say the same. Like I said I am 3.5 literate, but 5th is almost a whole new animal. From perception all the way to the reactions.