PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Abyss Watcher's fighting style possible?

Th3N3xtGuy
2016-05-07, 09:45 PM
To the more experienced player is it possible to recreate a character that fight's like the Abyss Watcher's from Dank Souls 3. The iconic weapon's description "The dagger is utilized as a wedge in the left hand while the greatsword is held in the right, a unique technique that was synonymous with the Undead Legion. Confounds foes in the manner of wolves hunting prey." Source: Dark Souls 3 Wiki. For those that don't know they fight very acrobatic, but in your face, i.e not sneaky at all. So my first question is it possible to use the a great-sword and dagger like they do? Class wise i'm thinking mobile fighter. Any opinions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyNb0LA4jPM 1:08 is the acrobatic swinging

CGNefarious
2016-05-08, 12:26 AM
I think you could do it fairly easily if you don't mind third party. Prestigious Two-Weapon fighting from Dreamscarred Press allows you to TWF with one-handed weapons effectively. With two levels of Titan Mauler Barbarian you can make that into two-handed weapons at a minor penalty.

If you want to reduce these penalties (and add damage) you can go into Dragon Fury prestige class from DSP as well. The Dervish Defender Warder is built around TWF and it's main discipline skill is acrobatics with maneuvers that allow some added mobility while TWFing, so it makes for a good base. Counters could act like rolling or the riposte, as some even have counter attacks built in.

I think trying to do so with strictly Paizo will require you to take a lot of penalties while doing so and probably not be worth it. I don't know of anything 1st party to works like Prestigious TWF or the Dragon Fury Prc.

Gildedragon
2016-05-08, 01:25 AM
Dagger being a light weapon and off hand is no problem; the problem is that greatsword is two handed...
perhaps substitute for an ewp bastard sword

Florian
2016-05-08, 01:45 AM
Translating video game characters to d20/PF is always a problem, mostly because how BAB, iterative attacks and mobility works on a battle map instead of direct action control.

I would also not get too hung up on the "greatsword"-thing, as that is a generic term and has different meaning in different cultures.

Iīd go at it with a 1to1 mix of Unchained Monk and Fighter (Varisian Free-Style Fighter), utilizing Dragon and Ascetic Style with a Bastard Sword and Dagger and switching to Vital Strike if needed.
It could be possible to refluff Gorumīs Swordsmanship to represent the Abyss Watcher style for mobile striking with a heavy blade.

Spore
2016-05-08, 10:24 PM
You can even get a talent that allows you to get +1 to AC from an offfhand weapon. Sure it is not as flashy as the parrying mechanic in Dark Souls but I feel the main thing you need to cover is wielding a Greatsword with one hand. Everything else is just fluff at that point.

The main thing for the Abyss watchers is not the parrying dagger tho. It is focussed around an aggressive style around greatsword attacks, lunges and running attacks. Plus possible Whirlwind Attacks.

So I'd make a Fighter (in Mithril Breastplate plus a wand of Longstrider plus Boots of Striding and Springing) with the following feats:
Power Attack
Cleave
Combat Expertise
Lunge
Dodge
Mobility
Spring Attack
Whirlwind Attack

The crunch is slightly different but doable in Pathfinder but it is most realistically a fighter.

Josh Boyce
2017-06-10, 04:00 PM
I'd recommend rolling up as a slayer and pairing the bastard sword with an offhand kukri. Take the exotic weapon proficiency in the bastard sword so that you can wield it in one hand and supplement that with all the two weapon fighting feats. After that just take cleave and greater cleave to simulate the farron greatswords wide sweeping attacks, and multiclass into the second level of barbarian to get the fast movement class feature.

When all is said and done you'll have the speed and maneuverability of the abyss watchers and the ability to move at your full speed in medium armor. Just pick whatever armor set suits you best and be sure to describe all of your attacks with the acrobatic flaire inherent in the undead legion's fighting style

Hope that helps

Fizban
2017-06-11, 03:00 AM
Dunno about PF, but 3.5 has something for the dagger to do: Pin Shield from Complete Warrior lets you toss your off hand attacks in order to negate the foe's shield bonus, which is pretty nice once their shield bonus starts getting up there (you still take the -2 for TWF, but there are other things that can negate that). With Strongarm Bracers (or Monkey Grip) and a Large Bastard Sword you're got the looks. Add parry/riposte feats from whatever books you like, build off an Iron Heart/Tiger Claw Warblade for the sweeping spinning jumping stuff.

Tuvarkz
2017-06-11, 03:43 AM
As CGNefarious says, you might get a more viable build with DSP content. On that note, the Stupendous Strength feat from Savage Species I lets you onehand a greatsword as well.

zergling.exe
2017-06-11, 04:10 AM
Tumble and Whirlwind Attack seem like they cover most of the bases. Maybe the Dervish's Dervish Dance ability to make attacks against a bunch of people as you tumble about.

For the weapons, they don't really use the dagger for much aside from a folcrum to spin with, so maybe an enhancement that allows you to use Whirlwind Attack while doing other things? Whatevering not worrying about greatsword/bastard sword, since Dark Souls counts bastard swords as greatswords.

Elysiume
2017-06-11, 06:20 AM
plus a wand of Longstrider plus Boots of Striding and SpringingMinor note, both Longstrider and Boots of Striding and Springing are a +10' enhancement bonus to base speed, so they don't stack.