PDA

View Full Version : The Hidden Helper

Hunterx
2016-05-07, 09:57 PM
So the idea of this character is to be a member of the party, without being a member of the party. They will follow along with the party and assist the other members by buffing them de buffing the enemies and secretly killing opponents without being seen. This member will claim their part of treasure by snatching their share from the members.

So to start, I have a dark whisper gnome, classes I was thinking starting out as a marshal while hiding close to the party, the party will hear words that will encourage them calm their emotions and get the ready for battle. After the marshal was looking to the Hexblade for the de-buffing from here not sure. The LA +1 will be bought out at level 3.

Character will fave a high initiative to almost always guarantee they go first., right now at level 1 initiative is +14 hide is +16 and move silently +15 I have not put in the Hexblade levels in as of yet.

I know ultimately there will be rogue levels just trying to build the base first.

So kinda looking like this
Marshal 1. Hexblade 4-6

Gildedragon
2016-05-07, 10:39 PM
the concept is pretty neat; going for assassin's stance or child of shadow might be a good idea, throw in some ranged sneak attack (invisible spell might be a good idea)

ATHATH
2016-05-07, 10:44 PM
Maybe one of those sniper-archer builds that can kill enemies from literally miles away could work?

Inevitability
2016-05-07, 11:21 PM
I feel a Brightness-esque character, like the one in my signature, might work. Spend your days in orbit, from where you provide the party with information on their foes and occasionally aid them directly through Remote Viewings.

Note, however, that the build requires lots of power points. You'll be spending over a hundred to not die, I quote, a 'horrible spacedeath', and having to cast Remote Viewing before any other power is taxing too. Don't do this unless you're high level, or find a more cost-efficient way to get up there.

Also, I recommend taking leadership and having your cohort travel with the party (this is just some general advice). You don't want to have nothing to do during social encounters.

Hunterx
2016-05-08, 12:53 AM
I feel a Brightness-esque character, like the one in my signature, might work. Spend your days in orbit, from where you provide the party with information on their foes and occasionally aid them directly through Remote Viewings.

Note, however, that the build requires lots of power points. You'll be spending over a hundred to not die, I quote, a 'horrible spacedeath', and having to cast Remote Viewing before any other power is taxing too. Don't do this unless you're high level, or find a more cost-efficient way to get up there.

Also, I recommend taking leadership and having your cohort travel with the party (this is just some general advice). You don't want to have nothing to do during social encounters.

Did not say they would be doing nothing during social in counters, they will be there helping the party out by hiding in areas either by invisibility and what not.

Having a few spells will be for sure that is why I looked into the beguiler and that for invisibility , shrink, and the likes.

Hunterx
2016-05-08, 12:59 AM
The issues I'm running into are a couple of things.

1. How to stay hidden if I sneak attack an opponent ?

2. Once the auras are in place they are fine, but how to make the range larger.

3. How to develope enough damage to kill an opponent quickly with small weapons.

4. How to get enough buffs and de buffs into this one char while still being able to unleash the kraken when needed.

Will post a build in the morning maybe.

Gildedragon
2016-05-08, 01:07 AM
1: hide skill with hide in plain sight (dark creature + child of shadow) with probably a -20 penalty because of the sniping rules. Or permanent invisibility

3: iaijutsu focus + knowledge devotion + sneak attack + poisons (unconscious effect poison is good)

Hunterx
2016-05-08, 11:55 AM
So at basically a level 2 char I have come up with this

Dark Whisper Gnome marshal

Feats: improved initiative, darkstalker, stealthy
Flaws: pathetic, shaky
Traits: aggressive, dishonest
Minor Aura: motivate Dex

With all these this has given me a base line without ranks of
Hide: +26
Move Silently +20
Initative: +14

Now where to go to, was thinking rogue, Hexblade, ninja one of these three.

Inevitability
2016-05-08, 12:19 PM
So at basically a level 2 char I have come up with this

Dark Whisper Gnome marshal

Feats: improved initiative, darkstalker, stealthy
Flaws: pathetic, shaky
Traits: aggressive, dishonest
Minor Aura: motivate Dex

With all these this has given me a base line without ranks of
Hide: +26
Move Silently +20
Initative: +14

Now where to go to, was thinking rogue, Hexblade, ninja one of these three.

I'm not sure if Improve Initiative is your best feat option. I recommend Dragontouched instead, because it allows you to get a scaling aura with Draconic Aura at 3rd level.

Also, ask your DM if you can have a reverse version of the Musclebound trait that increases dexterity skills and decreases strength skills. It'll boost your stealth even further.

martixy
2016-05-08, 01:07 PM
1: hide skill with hide in plain sight (dark creature + child of shadow) with probably a -20 penalty because of the sniping rules. Or permanent invisibility

3: iaijutsu focus + knowledge devotion + sneak attack + poisons (unconscious effect poison is good)

Able Sniper and Woodland archer from Races of the Wild both help in that department.

Hunterx
2016-05-08, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure if Improve Initiative is your best feat option. I recommend Dragontouched instead, because it allows you to get a scaling aura with Draconic Aura at 3rd level.

Also, ask your DM if you can have a reverse version of the Musclebound trait that increases dexterity skills and decreases strength skills. It'll boost your stealth even further.

Improved initiative is best and here is why, dragontouched auras cap out at +4 at level 20, but you are on the right track, I think so Lv 3 dragontouched, Lv 6 Draconic aura, Lv 9 X. Lv 12 double aura,
But I could take a single dip into DFA for dragontouched for free.

Marshal 1 DFA 1 Hexblade 4 or 6 ninja or rogue X

The reason I say ninja is only for the Lv 2 ability to go invisible as a swift action this adds a + 20 or a + 40 to hide checks.

The reverse to muscle bound I think is a great idea, and I'm sure there would be no issue.

Nando
2016-05-08, 04:07 PM
The reason I say ninja is only for the Lv 2 ability to go invisible as a swift action this adds a + 20 or a + 40 to hide checks.

Monk has an ACF called Invisible Fist in Exemplars of Evil p. 21:
Level: 2nd
Replaces: Evasion, and at 9th imp. Evasion
Benefit: "As an immediate action, you can become invisible for 1 round. You must wait 3 rounds before you can use this ability again."

Maybe worth considering...

Psyren
2016-05-08, 05:05 PM
Psionic Sandwich Vitalist :smallbiggrin: Who's going to target the sandwich the fighter packs?

ben-zayb
2016-05-08, 11:46 PM
If you want early level debuffing, Dragonfire Adept + Entangling Exhalation feat works. Grab Darkness invocation and the Blend into Shadows feat for easy stealth as a swift action