PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder As many negative levels as possssible

Endless Query
2016-05-07, 11:11 PM
I came up with a character idea and had some general ideas of how I wanted to implement it (especially since the GM has been super lax with letting us do craaaazy things with the race creation rules), but it turns out what I was originally going to do is FORBIDDEN (and for good reasons, would've been ridiculous. And fun. Ridiculously fun).

So basically, at this point, I kind of want to make an energy stealing negative level inflicting sort of character, and I want to say 3.5 had some special support for that, like gaining extra HP when inflicting negative levels and stuff, but I have no idea if there's any way to realize this sort of idea in pathfinder or if I'll have to mark that one off as the rules defeating me again.

Dromuthra
2016-05-08, 12:42 AM
Well, the Soul Eater prestige class from the BoVD is a lot of fun, and has the flavor of draining negative levels from things in order to make yourself stronger. Generally only a 1-level dip is advised, but if you want that flavor the class certainly works. The requirements are generally either impossible or really easy to hit though.

Endless Query
2016-05-08, 02:11 AM
Huh, not sure if it's the one you meant, but the Daemon worshipper (called a Souleater, as it turns out) PrC has a lot of... Potential in that regard. Though I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to get away with it, as being obligate Evil might be a no go in the party. Certainly a very consistent source of it if it can be acquired... And the ability to alternate level drain with Vampiric Touch is pretty sweet (albeit too late game to probably happen in this group).

Florian
2016-05-08, 02:19 AM
Kineticist, either Elemental Annihilator or Elemental Ascetic archetype, Void, Enervating Infusion.

Endless Query
2016-05-08, 02:35 AM
Huh, that's a pretty amusing option too. Though it comes online pretty late, and it doesn't seem like any other ability you have really synergizes with the sort of life steal-y theme. Still, nice to have a not inherently eeevil option if nothing else comes up. Thanks!

Florian
2016-05-08, 02:42 AM
Huh, that's a pretty amusing option too. Though it comes online pretty late, and it doesn't seem like any other ability you have really synergizes with the sort of life steal-y theme. Still, nice to have a not inherently eeevil option if nothing else comes up. Thanks!

Go Drow, mc with levels of Unchained Monk, use Nightmare Fist style chain for really amusing BFC.

avr
2016-05-08, 05:14 AM
The quick and easy answer is of course to get command undead (feat or spell) then enslave/charm respectively a wight or something. You don't necessarily have to be evil or high level. The downside is that the wight might eventually make its save and try to eat your face, not to mention you have to find a wight in the first place and bring it along with you.

The spell enervation is the classic way to inflict negative levels. It's 4th level so the earliest you can get it is 7th unless you buy scrolls or something. With a trait you can empower it when you can cast 5th level spells, so at character level 9.

Edit: also, planar bind a succubus and get her to grapple your enemies. High level, you're probably evil, but bonus points for style.

Endless Query
2016-05-08, 01:53 PM
Yeah I suppose that works, just go hyper specialized necro, throw around some Vampiric Touch while I wait or something (reasonably in theme. Gimmie your HP). I'll admit I was hoping for an answer that I might've overlooked beyond just CAST THE SPELLS...

Though I'm not even slightly surprised that there isn't one, sort of a pipe dream on that one =P Amuse myself with spectral hand and ability draining folks with touches and beams I suppose. Reasonably thematic. Eh, I'll nail something down... Unless someone comes up with a better idea for me to steal =P

Randomthom
2016-05-09, 03:18 AM
Be a vampire? Might need to invest in a heavy-duty cloak though...

Azoth
2016-05-09, 07:56 AM
If third party is allowed I have a rather interesting idea. One part of it is still in play test, but is largely balanced well already. Just some tweaks here and there.

Dreamscarred Press has a book called Lords of the Night, primarily a Vampire supplement. In it is a martial discipline called Unquiet Grave. The entire discipline uses negative energy to debuff enemies, heal yourself, do ability damage, and so forth.

The class in play test currently is the Medic. Generally a class adept at in combat healing. It is actually, incredibly effective at this role by the way. It has an archetype called Sanguinist. The main fun parts of it are gaining the ability to drain health from enemies with unarmed attacks and add it to blood pool that you can then use to heal yourself or others. It can eventually do this with poisons and diseases as well, so that you can then smack an enemy with something nasty.

Now, normally a Medic can't access Unquiet Grave, but their is a Martial Tradition, basically joining an organization, that let's you swap a discipline you have for Unquiet Grave. It also makes you no longer age...yay psuedo immortality. If joining a group of people doesn't work for you, Path of War: Expanded has you covered with the trait Unorthodox Method that does the same. Warning though, it is a regional trait.

Psyren
2016-05-09, 08:48 AM
Be a vampire? Might need to invest in a heavy-duty cloak though...

Unfortunately, Pathfinder Vampires can only inflict one negative level per round. Though if it's any consolation, their LA is much lower.