PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Pricing Rust Monster eggs.

Kanthalion
2016-05-08, 02:13 AM
What sounds like fair value for rust monster eggs? Or is there a canon value? I know my players. They will want to collect them and sell them.

Coidzor
2016-05-08, 02:39 AM
I think Arms and Equipment Guide (3.0 content) has prices for Rust Monsters as mounts or something like that. It might also have prices for eggs.

Edit:I think it's somewhere in the 120 to 200, maybe 300 range.

Probably not higher than 500.

Kanthalion
2016-05-08, 02:44 AM
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-08, 02:58 AM
Look in complete scoundrel (I think. It was one of the last published completes) for a rustmonster based item. It uses the larval form of rust monsters for breaking through metal.

Kanthalion
2016-05-08, 03:07 AM
Nice! And I actually have that PDF already.

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-08, 03:20 AM
Col. If it isnt there let me know and ill go book diving.

Kanthalion
2016-05-08, 04:46 AM
Col. If it isnt there let me know and ill go book diving.

What is in that book is a "rust monster wand" for 160gp. but I might be able to work backwards from that:

The text says that a wand contains 12 rust monster larva, as well a a few other materials, but we'll say that the materials are negligible: so that's 13 g, 3 s, 3 c per larvae. lets round that to 14gp. now, doing a little googling and it looks like eggs for incubating go for about $1 a peice, and live chicks go for about $5. that's a 1:5 ratio. applying that to rust monster eggs, we're looking at about 3g per egg retail, or 1g 5s to a shopkeeper.

Kanthalion
2016-05-08, 04:54 AM
I think Arms and Equipment Guide (3.0 content) has prices for Rust Monsters as mounts or something like that. It might also have prices for eggs.

Edit:I think it's somewhere in the 120 to 200, maybe 300 range.

Probably not higher than 500.

What that book has is cost for a young rust monster (1000 gp) and training for one (1200 gp) no mention of eggs. Based on my research for the cost of larvae and eggs in the Complete Scoundrel, I think that might be reasonable: you are talking about a "young" one large enough to train as a mount and how much time and metal went in to raising it to be that big.

Hey, if my players want to go into the rust monster ranching business, I'm all for that. :smallwink:

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-08, 12:12 PM
Chickens may not be the best example. Eggs might not be worth as much because of that chance of getting a useless rooster, which are notorious for not laying eggs. I assume both female and male rust monsters are viable.

Kanthalion
2016-05-08, 11:33 PM
Chickens may not be the best example. Eggs might not be worth as much because of that chance of getting a useless rooster, which are notorious for not laying eggs. I assume both female and male rust monsters are viable.

Good point. Although it turned out to be moot: with the exception of one, which one of my players wants to raise as a pet, they decided to destroy the whole brood.

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-09, 08:46 AM
Awwwww but rust monsters are so cute :smallfrown:

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-09, 12:22 PM

You mean like this? "Eat axe?" (http://rustyandco.com/comic/1/)

Kanthalion
2016-05-09, 04:18 PM

You mean like this? "Eat axe?" (http://rustyandco.com/comic/1/)

Another player's character had wanted to save them too. (in fact, he had refused to take part in the killing of one they had caught in a pit trap.) until they fought a couple of them and nearly lost his favorite katana. The current plan is to keep the one they kept in a wooden cage at a pub they're refurbishing and call the pub "Rusty's" As a bonus, it's a built in bottle opener.

LTwerewolf
2016-05-09, 04:20 PM
If you base it on how hippogriffs work it should be 2/3 of the cost of the young.

Coidzor
2016-05-09, 04:51 PM
I foresee investing in Blueshine futures on the part of your party.

ZeroiaSD
2016-05-09, 05:08 PM
Good point. Although it turned out to be moot: with the exception of one, which one of my players wants to raise as a pet, they decided to destroy the whole brood.

There's nothing players fear more than damage to their equipment.

Hit points, even potential for death, is temporary, but loss of a sword is something to run from!

Kanthalion
2016-05-09, 05:20 PM
I foresee investing in Blueshine futures on the part of your party.

Don't be giving them ideas. It's a homebrew world and I already have enough to do without implementing a stock market. :smallwink:

There's nothing players fear more than damage to their equipment.

Hit points, even potential for death, is temporary, but loss of a sword is something to run from!

Yup. especially when it's a +3 weapon he got from a lucky draw of a deck of many things that he would have no way to replace for many many levels.