PDA

View Full Version : Getting Creative with Solid Fog

Tyger
2007-06-25, 10:26 AM
Any suggestions for unusual and interesting uses of the spell? At the moment, its been used to slow stuff down, distract them, and once to slow a falling friendly to that he didn't splat.

Any other neat ideas?

Miraqariftsky
2007-06-25, 11:05 AM
It's solid, right? Can it be used to attack?

squidthingy
2007-06-25, 11:18 AM
sink stuff, instead of 'rocks fall, TPK' now it's 'solid fog is summoned on your airship and it crashes, starts on fire, and explodes, TPK'

Tyger
2007-06-25, 11:20 AM
It's solid, right? Can it be used to attack?

No. Its a D&D spell, available on the SRD.

Human Paragon 3
2007-06-25, 11:53 AM
No. Its a D&D spell, available on the SRD.

Are you a DM looking for situations where the PCs can make creative use of Solid Fog, or a player looking for suggestions on creative ways to use Solid Fog on a day-to-day basis?

Keld Denar
2007-06-25, 12:18 PM
Could you contigency (or craft contingency) a solid fog as kind of an air bag? Like, if you fall more than 15 feet, or if something were to land on you. This would be the ultimate win vs DMs "rocks fall, you die"

Something I thought of, because of the way it spreads, you could have a maze of very narrow paths that wind around. 1 solid fog would cover it's full area if small vents were there to allow it. Add a couple more fogs to make the whole place solid and dark. Then you'd be stuck in a maze, have difficulty seeing/moving, and have blindsighted kobald ninja/monks literally coming out of the woodwork. Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!!!

...Eh?
2007-06-25, 12:59 PM
Solid fog, cloudkill, good game, see you guys next week, ect.

Tyger
2007-06-25, 01:15 PM
Are you a DM looking for situations where the PCs can make creative use of Solid Fog, or a player looking for suggestions on creative ways to use Solid Fog on a day-to-day basis?

Both. :) My wizard just got this spell, mostly to deal with a PC who goes all wolfy on us and needs to be contained without hurting him, but also because, as I also DM, I want to maximize this spell nicely. I just love nonlethal spells that can really be devastating.

SITB
2007-06-25, 01:23 PM
Make fun of archers.

No, really. Laugh as their arrows clutter to the ground because the archers lack the strength to shot them through the cloud.

Though, you are a wizard. You're already laughing at the archers with impunity.

Talya
2007-06-25, 01:25 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48674) creative enough?

martyboy74
2007-06-25, 01:28 PM
Could you contigency (or craft contingency) a solid fog as kind of an air bag? Like, if you fall more than 15 feet, or if something were to land on you. This would be the ultimate win vs DMs "rocks fall, you die"

Resilient Sphere would work better. And nothing can protect you from the wrath of the almighty DM.

Human Paragon 3
2007-06-25, 01:49 PM
A powerful orb/jewel/the moon/maguffin is radiating a magical light that fuels the bad guys' minions/super kill bot/doomsday device etc. Sold fog on the roof of the tomb blocks the light and lets the PCs win the day.

martyboy74
2007-06-25, 02:05 PM
As does Prestidigitation. Color the roof anything but clear. BAM! Problem solved.