PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Enchantment for Armor Spikes?

Chester
2016-05-08, 12:10 PM
The title says it all. Looking for suggestions. Warforged Juggernaut (3.5); thinking Brutal Surge, but that may be redundant.

Darrin
2016-05-08, 01:16 PM
The title says it all. Looking for suggestions. Warforged Juggernaut (3.5); thinking Brutal Surge, but that may be redundant.

Eager and Warning (MIC) are usually the first two you want to put on armor spikes. Maybe Smoking (Lords of Darkness).

I think I'd start with Sudden Stunning (DMGII version) before I grabbed Brutal Surge.

Chester
2016-05-08, 03:40 PM
Eager and Warning (MIC) are usually the first two you want to put on armor spikes.

That's awesome.

However:
A warning weapon grants you a +5 insight
bonus on initiative checks as long as it
is held. (MIC)

Does Warning still work, seeing as though armor spikes aren't technically held?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-05-08, 03:41 PM
Aren't weapons immune to [mind-affecting] effects? :smallwink:

Âmesang
2016-05-08, 03:43 PM
Does warning still work, seeing as though armor spikes aren't technically held?
Just begin the fight with your arms crossed. :smallamused:

Aegis013
2016-05-08, 03:43 PM
After Warning/Eager, Defending is a personal favorite of mine. Our groups tend to have a full CL caster with Greater Magic Weapon and a party-bought metamagic rod of chaining to give a pretty nice bonus to AC.

Troacctid
2016-05-08, 03:53 PM
Warning is the best. I usually just go with that. (Eager is not efficient enough for the cost IMO.) Spell Storing is also good, since it stacks well with other Spell Storing weapons, effectively giving you an extra stored spell per encounter. If you really have money to burn, you could go with Speed, which would give you an extra attack with your armor spikes even if the rest of your full attack is with a different weapon—but +3 is very pricey, so you'd have to be pretty high level.

That's awesome.

However:
A warning weapon grants you a +5 insight
bonus on initiative checks as long as it
is held. (MIC)

Does Warning still work, seeing as though armor spikes aren't technically held?
Yeah, "held" in this context just means "wielded". It's fine.

BrolyFan
2016-05-09, 02:41 AM
Well from what my group has grasped from armor spikes is that you can enchant each spike individually to accomplish your goal. We didn't find it anywhere that spikes are enchanted together. So it helps this way also to cheapen your cost of enchantments.

Necrov
2016-05-09, 02:58 AM
Well from what my group has grasped from armor spikes is that you can enchant each spike individually to accomplish your goal. We didn't find it anywhere that spikes are enchanted together. So it helps this way also to cheapen your cost of enchantments.

Personally I question this interpretation, as regardless of whether there's one spike or fifty, you make the same attack roll, ergo it is one weapon. This interpretation isn't really any different to enchanting each side of a double bladed sword differently and trying to pretend that they're different weapons.

Still if it's a house rule you guys like, sure. But it's a pretty cheesy way of stacking +1 enchantments.

Psyren
2016-05-09, 03:20 AM
I would vote no on Warning Spikes given that wording. Definitely run it by your GM to be sure.

Afgncaap5
2016-05-09, 03:39 AM
Well, either of these would depend on playstyle, but I'm fond of Shadowstrike (an extra five feet of reach for those pesky rogues when they try to circle out of reach, one that denies them their Dex bonus to AC no less) and Knockback for that kind of thing. While part of me prefers the 3.0 versions of these in the Arms and Equipment Guide, the frugal party of me is willing to settle for their updated, more RAW-legal counterparts in the Magic Item Compendium (especially since then they're a combined +1 bonus and 5000 gp add on, and not a combined +3 bonus.) The Whirling bonus might be fun for some situations, but'd probably be a bit situational...

Also, I've never used it myself but I like the look of Vanishing. There are definitely cheaper and more efficient ways to gain teleportation, but I get the sense that on the rare occasion that you'd want to use Vanishing as written, you might have a lot of fun. Drop an enemy with a hit, spot a more important enemy almost escaping through the side door, immediately appear in front of the more important enemy, etc.