PDA

View Full Version : Army of Two in fantasy - what classes would Salem and Rios represent?

Stallion0789
2016-05-08, 02:49 PM
Hi there!

I'm a fan of Army of Two and me and my friend want to create Salem and Rios in fantasy game. What do you guys think, what classes in a fantasy world Salem and Rios would represent? In my opinion, Salem would be a rogue type or both rogue and warrior, but he would be more of a damage dealer, not a tank. His skills would be based on dexterity and speed with light armor. He could have two swords or sword and shield. Rios would be a typical tank. Strong and tough with heavy armor and huge greatsword. What are your opinion guys? Please help.

P.S. Sorry if I posted this topic in a wrong category, but I'm new here. ;P

Slayn82
2016-05-08, 07:08 PM
Hum, I never played the series, but I saw a few Videos. Maybe Rios could work as a Crusader, and Salem could be a Warblade? Both classes come from the Book of nine swords, and should work pretty well together.

Triaxx
2016-05-10, 02:42 PM
It's actually a pretty good series, but it has to be played co-op. Trust me, the AI isn't bright enough to help itself, much less you.

Salem might be a Blackguard of some type, he's not evil, just a little crazy though. Rios I'm not sure about. He did some wierd things through the series. I liked him best in Devil's Cartel, but I'm told his characterization changed from game to game. Perhaps a Ranger since his exact goal changes from game to game.

Stallion0789
2016-05-10, 03:39 PM
It's actually a pretty good series, but it has to be played co-op. Trust me, the AI isn't bright enough to help itself, much less you.

Salem might be a Blackguard of some type, he's not evil, just a little crazy though. Rios I'm not sure about. He did some wierd things through the series. I liked him best in Devil's Cartel, but I'm told his characterization changed from game to game. Perhaps a Ranger since his exact goal changes from game to game. Ok, but let's take "good" Salem from the first Army of Two into consideration. Back in his day he was a thief and in the game he's not as strong as Rios. That's why he would probably be a rogue/fighter dual class. For example, what class is the best for Salem in Dragon Age: Inquisition in your opinion?

Triaxx
2016-05-10, 09:12 PM
Thus Blackguard which I find to be a Paladin who's fallen and decided to go evil rather than try for redemption.

Stallion0789
2016-05-11, 06:11 AM
Thus Blackguard which I find to be a Paladin who's fallen and decided to go evil rather than try for redemption. But do you really see Salem as a paladin? Even if this paladin is of evil personality I can't portray Salem as a paladin. Warrior/fighter surely, but not as a knight.

Triaxx
2016-05-11, 12:09 PM
Never as a real Full Fledged Paladin, but as the sort who aspired to be one, and could never quite reach it. Instead he eventually realised he never would, and changed his goal.

Stallion0789
2016-05-11, 03:42 PM
Never as a real Full Fledged Paladin, but as the sort who aspired to be one, and could never quite reach it. Instead he eventually realised he never would, and changed his goal. Thank you very much for your answers. What class would you give Salem in Dragon Age: Inquisition? Do you see Salem as a rogue ? In Army of Two, Salem has definitely less strength than Rios.

Psyren
2016-05-11, 05:50 PM
I don't recall any mechanical differences between the two of them, but then I stopped playing after 40th day so I may have missed some abilities they were given to differentiate them?

Triaxx
2016-05-11, 07:25 PM
Haven't played any Dragon Age:Inquisition myself. My 'expert' says a she'd make him a Varrick. Whatever that means.

40th Day seems incredibly divisive. Devil's Cartel is a lot better in my opinion.

Stallion0789
2016-05-13, 01:04 PM
I don't recall any mechanical differences between the two of them, but then I stopped playing after 40th day so I may have missed some abilities they were given to differentiate them? Salem has definitely less strength than Rios. In the first Army of Two, Salem couldn't lift a heavy door, Rios did it by himself. What is more, Rios is much bigger and has muscular build, whereas Salem has a athletic build. You can read it in their story.

Psyren
2016-05-13, 01:56 PM
Salem has definitely less strength than Rios. In the first Army of Two, Salem couldn't lift a heavy door, Rios did it by himself. What is more, Rios is much bigger and has muscular build, whereas Salem has a athletic build. You can read it in their story.

Oh I know Rios is the top a bigger guy, but given that the core mechanic is cover-based shooting, I couldn't recall any instances where that actually meant anything from a gameplay standpoint. It's not like it's a brawler where one is the Fragile Speedster and the other is the Mighty Glacier or something. Obviously in a fantasy setting you might differentiate them mechanically that way.

Stallion0789
2016-05-13, 03:06 PM
Oh I know Rios is the top a bigger guy, but given that the core mechanic is cover-based shooting, I couldn't recall any instances where that actually meant anything from a gameplay standpoint. It's not like it's a brawler where one is the Fragile Speedster and the other is the Mighty Glacier or something. Obviously in a fantasy setting you might differentiate them mechanically that way. So what is your opinion? What class would Salem and Rios represent in a fantasy world? Both warriors? Rogue and warrior? What main weapons would you give them? Sword and shield, greatsword or maybe dual swords?

Psyren
2016-05-13, 03:27 PM
So what is your opinion? What class would Salem and Rios represent in a fantasy world? Both warriors? Rogue and warrior? What main weapons would you give them? Sword and shield, greatsword or maybe dual swords?

Yeah, if you're looking to modulate gameplay that would be the logical approach - one as the frontline bruiser while the other is the fragile flanker. So Fighter or Barbarian alongside Rogue.

If there's a specific game system you're thinking of (e.g. D&D 5th Edition or Pathfinder), you can get the mods to move it to that system's subforum by self-reporting your opening post and asking there.

Stallion0789
2016-05-13, 03:33 PM
Yeah, if you're looking to modulate gameplay that would be the logical approach - one as the frontline bruiser while the other is the fragile flanker. So Fighter or Barbarian alongside Rogue.

If there's a specific game system you're thinking of (e.g. D&D 5th Edition or Pathfinder), you can get the mods to move it to that system's subforum by self-reporting your opening post and asking there. I even wanted to ask the developers of Army of Two what is their opinion, what class would they give Salem and Rios in Dungeons and Dragons for example, and what weapons Salem and Rios would have. I really want to know. I was thinking Salem as warrior/rogue and Rios as a warblade maybe. I don't think that Salem would be a pure rogue, because he was a soldier, so warrior/fighter is also good for him.