PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next I need some help fleshing out a class idea

LadyKubaryi
2016-05-08, 05:13 PM
Okay so first of all, thanks for looking. I came here under advice from my girlfriend who said praciticed homebrewers might be able to help me better than her, which makes sense .3. I have an idea for a character, a crazy idea, and I need someone who knows how to make stuff happen with homebrew to help me put it all together. It'll work off of the fury homebrew class from dandwiki.com/wiki/Fury_(5e_Class) I want to try and create a character, proficient in martial combat like hand to hand/ light weapons that uses their hit points to deal stronger damage, and uses exhaustion levels to fire off incredibly destructive spells. the idea is that in fury state exhaustion doesn't apply, but once they come out they'll be down and out. I want an op character. I want them to kick ass in battle and kill thiings their level in a few hits, because i'm entering into a one on one d&d session where the dm wants me to be over powered in combat. Out of combat my character has a very distinct personality that will make obstacles like that much harder, on top of that they'll be throwing high level monsters at me as a design for the campaign to take on alone.

tl;dr I need someone to help make me a character, equally proficient with arcane and martial skill that does more damage the more they overexert themselves and use up their own hp and exhaustion levels.

A little info about the char to start off and help get some ideas, they're the type of char that wants to go after power almost no matter the cost. As long as they remain themselves, and iin control of the power, they want it. They're going to be a black blooded race, siimilar to tanith low or the soul eater variants it makes her strong, op, but lusting for power and other things. She's the type of person that lusts for power and strength and the ability to stand above anyone. She's arrogant, powerful, and most importantly she uses her own power to a detriment. She doesn't care if she has to carve runes onto her skin to make the spells she casts stronger by using her own blood/ life force. She doesn't care if she has to take in a black blood parasite to become near superhuman in athletic ability. If she can control it, she wants it.

tl;dr total Need to flesh out fury class, working around custom char for custom campaign designed around fighting higher level monsters/same level monsters solo, char is arrogant, and searches for power no matter the cost, sees herself as a god and wishes to become one, will readily use her own hp to create powerful martial/ arcane attacks and use exhaustion levels as well as spell slots to cast incredibly destructive abilities in fury mode

Discuss with me anything you're unsure about, or would like to talk about, i'm writing this tired af after a day of stress at like midnight so if it doesn't make sense, my bad.

Again thanks for looking, and have a nice day!

Alice~!

JNAProductions
2016-05-08, 05:31 PM
Look at the Frezny Barbarian. Maybe make a Rage Mage sort of person?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-08, 06:14 PM
praciticed homebrewers might be able to help me

Except that you're trying to create something that's deliberately overpowered. Practiced homebrewers are surely less useful for that, since all our experience is in making things more balanced...

I read the first few parts of the fury class, and it already seems broken. Given that, you can probably achieve the effect you want with a fury/barbarian multiclass, assuming your DM lets you ignore the 'no spellcasting while raging' bit. Beyond that, maybe we could work out an expanded exhaustion system that gives you opportunities to trade your future health for more power right now... though I'm too tired to do anything like that tonight.

I dunno. This seems like the sort of thing that you'd need to work out with your DM.

JNAProductions
2016-05-08, 06:18 PM
Except that you're trying to create something that's deliberately overpowered. Practiced homebrewers are surely less useful for that, since all our experience is in making things more balanced...

I read the first few parts of the fury class, and it already seems broken. Given that, you can probably achieve the effect you want with a fury/barbarian multiclass, assuming your DM lets you ignore the 'no spellcasting while raging' bit. Beyond that, maybe we could work out an expanded exhaustion system that gives you opportunities to trade your future health for more power right now... though I'm too tired to do anything like that tonight.

I dunno. This seems like the sort of thing that you'd need to work out with your DM.

I don't see anything in there that precludes it being balanced. What's wanted is a Gish who can hurt themselves for extra power. So long as it's kept to a half-caster or similar, shouldn't be a big deal.

LadyKubaryi
2016-05-09, 05:27 AM
Well perhaps then, someone can help me make it balanced? I want them to be strong certainly, but I want there to be tradeoffs. Sure they can kick ass, but they pay health and exhaustion. Perhaps I worded things badly at midnight, but an expanded exhaustion table would certainly be useful. I'm looking for an overpowered character sure, but I want them to be balanced in their strength by the appropriate trade-offs. They might be op in combat, but they do lots of self damage, exhaustion is a bitch if the dm throws tougher mobs at me and II need to use them to use powerful spells. A lot of story progression pieces will be behind more rp focused puzzles or obstacles, or tougher fights. I've looked into barbarian/ fury but first off the fury class iisn't complete, and needs more fleshiing out, and second iit didn't quite work for the type of character I want to make. Sure they're tough, and can hold their own, but they use their arcane fury magic to augment their abilities.

Still, i'd appreciate any help balancing the creation of my 'unbalanced' character

R.Shackleford
2016-05-09, 10:36 AM
I would just base it off hit dice since they are the measuring factor for overall health or whatever.

Convert hit dice to damage when you hit with a weapon attack. But you can only do this after you are damaged. If you are at full HP no go.

Could even base what you can spend hit dice on based on your current level of HP

100% HP: Nothing

75% or Higher HP: Damage

50% or Higher HP: Damage, Utility.

25% or Higher HP: Damage, Utility, Finishing Move

If you or if you direct an ally to hurt yourself you can't use these features.