PDA

View Full Version : Question bout comic #216

Zavia/GenX
2007-06-25, 12:10 PM
Newbie dm here, my players want an arena fight, and my lv1 dwarven cleric wants to try going solo.(only the fighter is lv 2) So anyway, i suddenly remembered about this comic strip, and double checked with the DMG 3.5. It states "This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity(d20sdr)". Tho im sure this question may have been asked then(couldn't find a thread discussion #216), how is it he made 2 attacks?

Also, what does it mean

An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn)(d20sdr).
A bit lost on this one. Does that mean a person cant continue completing their tasks? Does that include moving?

Lastly, im making some medium and hard difficulty characters, if anyone knows of an intresting combination, do post. I will only use the hard if they want a harder challenge and will gain more xp then. This is the hard version of the half-orc melee fighter. Rich confident guy with a good trainer(hence the good tatics) hoping to make it big in the arena. Hes not complete btw, ironing things out.

Each npc in the game has an adverage of 55-75 stat points.
Hard Opponent:
Half-Orc
Lv1 Barbarian
1d12+1 HP
S/20 D/10 Co/12 W/10 I/8 Ch/8
Longbow, Composite [1d8, +5 Str Bonus]
Chain, spiked [2d4, 10ft]

Exotic Weapon Proficiency [Chain, spiked]
Potion of

-Shoots enemy with an arrow, drops it when they come near to drink a potion. Altenatively shoot a 2nd arrow and move away.
-Rage when enemy will soon enter melee. Drop bow and change to Spiked Chain. AOO if they continue coming foward.
-Move backwards if able. Disarm if cornered, Charge if they retreat.

Rage:
A barbarian can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a barbarian temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class.
A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 17th-level barbarian, at which point this limitation no longer applies).

Thanks!

Related Links:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-25, 12:19 PM
First off: he could have taken some weird munchkin-y splatbook feat, but normal AoO's would only let him take one.

Second: No, it doesn't mean any of that. When you take an AoO, it "pauses" the action while you attack, and then "resumes" it once you're done attacking. There are exceptions, though; certain feats/abilities, such as Stand Still (which forces AoO'd characters to stop moving if they get hit), can change the status quo.

Third: What's the potion? I assume you meant to type Enlarge Person, but it's good to be sure. If it's a potion of something else... change it to a potion of Enlarge Person.

Tallis
2007-06-25, 12:21 PM
An AoO happens at the time something happens to trigger it, then the turn continues as it would have without the AoO, unless the AoO specifically prevents that. You only get one AoO per triggering event. Unless you have combat reflexes you get a maximum of one AoO per round.

Douglas
2007-06-25, 12:31 PM
As I recall there were two theories about that strip:
1) Rich made a mistake (it happens)
2) The half-ogre had the Hold the Line (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Hold_The_Line,) feat, which makes charging at him provoke an AoO separate from the one normally provoked by movement. He can still only make one attack per opportunity, but there are now two opportunities - one for moving out of a threatened square and one for charging him.

Re: interruption:
When someone provokes an AoO, you immediately stop figuring out what that person is doing and resolve the AoO. Once the AoO is resolved, then you go back to the character that provoked it and continue resolving his action. The AoO may or may not have made completing the action impossible, or may require altering it in some way.

For example:
Bob charges Ed, and Ed has 10' reach. Ed gets an AoO. When Bob moves from 10' to 5' away from Ed, the next thing would normally be for Bob to attack Ed. Instead, we switch to Ed and his AoO. Now let's consider a few possibilities for what Ed might do with that AoO:
1) Ed hits Bob. Bob takes damage, but is still up. Nothing special happens, back to Bob, Bob is now hurt but finishes his charge and attacks.
2) Ed hits Bob. Bob was already badly hurt and gets knocked out. Bob is obviously incapable of finishing his charge, so he collapses 10' away from Ed without getting to attack.
3) Ed disarms Bob. Bob doesn't have his weapon any more, but he's still charging. He can finish the charge by attacking with some other weapon if he has one in hand. If necessary, Bob might even fall back on an unarmed strike for his charge attack, though that might provoke another AoO depending on what feats Bob and Ed have and if Ed has a weapon that threatens at 5'.
4) Ed trips Bob. Bob is on the ground, prone. You can't charge when prone, so Bob can't finish his charge.

Zavia/GenX
2007-06-25, 12:42 PM
*nods*
ic ic. thanks.

and ill probably do a bull's str potion. i will use Enlarge for the medium level half-orc.

Grey Watcher
2007-06-25, 12:45 PM
I don't think Rich made a mistake in 216. As a Half-Ogre, Roy's opponent is large, which is a key part of the build. The point is, Roy has to charge his way through TWO layers of squares that the Half-Ogre can reach. Leaving EACH of those squares provokes a new, seperate, attack of opportunity, which, thanks to Combat Reflexes, the Half-Ogre can take advantage of.

As for your other questions, as the others have said, all the text you quoted means is that you resolve the attack of opportunity before the victim continues his action. Unless the AoO does something to stop the victims action(s) (it kills, disrupts concentration, trips, etc.), the victim continues normally after the attack is done (just minus any hit points it lost).

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-25, 12:49 PM
... you are aware that Enlarge Person costs less, right? Just checking.

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-25, 12:51 PM
Leaving EACH of those squares provokes a new, seperate, attack of opportunity, which, thanks to Combat Reflexes, the Half-Ogre can take advantage of.

No, in fact, that isn't true at all.

Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent.

EDIT: Muahahahaha, I am ninja! Hear me silently ninj!

Peregrine
2007-06-25, 12:52 PM
I don't think Rich made a mistake in 216. As a Half-Ogre, Roy's opponent is large, which is a key part of the build. The point is, Roy has to charge his way through TWO layers of squares that the Half-Ogre can reach. Leaving EACH of those squares provokes a new, seperate, attack of opportunity, which, thanks to Combat Reflexes, the Half-Ogre can take advantage of.

Not true. Moving through threatened space is considered one provocation for one AoO, no matter how many squares you move through.

Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent.
(It's different if you leave the threatened area entirely, then move back in on the same turn. At least, I think it is. It's not specified in this part of the SRD. But it's probably somewhere...)

EDIT: Ninja! And I can't even blame time spent researching, because you have the same quote!

Tyger
2007-06-25, 12:53 PM

As for your other questions, as the others have said, all the text you quoted means is that you resolve the attack of opportunity before the victim continues his action. Unless the AoO does something to stop the victims action(s) (it kills, disrupts concentration, trips, etc.), the victim continues normally after the attack is done (just minus any hit points it lost).

Are you sure there? I was under the impression that even with Combat Reflexes you still only got one AoO on a person for each action. As the charge is one action, you only get one AoO, (against that person, for that action) even if they are moving through two or three threatened squares.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong here though, as I love reach weapons!

EDIT: Ninja answered!

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-25, 12:55 PM
Man, I am the MEGANINJA!