PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Prestige class : Chosen of the Wild

Sirithhyando
2016-05-09, 08:04 AM
Hi everyone,
This is my first try for homebrew.
I think i've got something that's... hum... balance? I hope so at least.
So thanks in advance for commenting.

Prestige Class : Chosen of the Wild

Prerequisite :

Character level 5
Must be proficient in the nature skill
Charisma 13
Special task : A druid must ask his circle to make the warrior an honorary member. If accepted, the warrior go through a consecration ritual becoming a Chosen of the Wild. The ritual end with the gift of a weapon or a set of weapon meant to protect the wild and the circle.

Class features
As a Chosen of the Wild, you gain the following class feature

Hit Dice : 1d10 Per Chosen of the Wild level
Hit Points Per Level: 1d10 (or 6) + Your Constitution Modifier Per Chosen of the Wild Level Proficiencies
Tools : None
Saving Throws : None
Skills: Choose one between Animal handling, Perception and Stealth

Level

1st
Ability score improvement, Consecration

2nd
Weapon of the Wild, Wild Senses

3rd
Weapon of the light

4th
Ability score improvement

5th
Consecration improvement

6th
Protector's Aura

7th

8th
Weapon of the Wild improvement

9th
Consecration improvement

10th
Ability score improvement, Celestial companion

Consecration :
A druid from the Chosen circle must make a magic oil at the cost of 200gp, creating the oil takes 1 hour. He then perform a consecration ritual that takes 4 hours during which the Chosen lay in deep meditation while the druid perform the rites. When finished, the Chosen gains a supernatural ability determined before the ritual and chosen within the table. This consecration ritual can be done only once each time the Chosen gains this feature. The effect of the ritual is decided through this table with the prerequisite on the left. You gain a second and a third supernatural ability when you gain this class feature again.

Level + Charisma mod
Ability/ Effect

8 or lower
Holy Sight : You can see normally in darkness, both magical and non-magical, to a distance of 120ft

9-11
Land’s Stride : Moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs you no extra movement. You can also pass through nonmagical plants without being slowed by them and without taking damage from them if they have thorns, spines, or a similar hazard.
In addition, you have advantage on saving throws against plants that are magically created or manipulated to impede movement, such those created by the entangle spell.

12-14
Divine strike : Once on each of your turn when you hit with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d6 thunder damage to the target. When you reach level 10 of Chosen of the wild and have a charisma score of 20, the extra damage become 1d10 This feature doesn’t stack with Weapon of the light feature.

15-16
Stalker : When you are in an area of dim light or darkness, you can use an action to become invisible until you take an action or a reaction.

17-18
Divine protector When you or a creature 30ft from takes damage, you can use your reaction to have the target gain resistance to the triggering attack

19+
Divine Body : The Chosen’s Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma score improves by 1. Your maximum ability score increase to 22.

Weapon of the Wild :
A druid from the Chosen circle must make a magic oil at the cost of 200gp (per weapon), creating the oil takes 1 hour. He then perform a ritual that takes 4 hours during which the Chosen lay in deep meditation with his weapon(s) on his laps while the druid perform the rites. When finished, the Chosen weapon(s) permanently gains a new supernatural ability determined before the ritual. This ritual can be done only once each time the Chosen gains this feature. The effect of the ritual is decided through this table with the prerequisite on the left. Those supernatural ability can only be used when those weapon(s) are wielded by the Chosen.

Level + Charisma mod
Ability/ Effect

9 or lower
Summon weapon : As long as your druid gifted weapon(s) is/are on the same plane, you can use an action to have them appear in your hands.

10-11
Thunder strike : When you hit with your druid gifted weapon(s), you deal your charisma mod damage to ennemy adjacent to your target.

12-13
Weapon enhancement : Weapon(s) become +1

14-15
Weapon enhancement : Weapon(s) become +2

16-18
Elemental weapon : As a reaction from taking acid, cold, fire, lightning or thunder damage. The druid gifted weapon(s) capture some of the energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with an attack using this/those weapon(s), the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type. This ability can be use a number of time per short rest equal to your charisma mod.

19+
Sentience : The weapon(s) becomes a +2 intelligent artifact, with the same alignment as the Chosen. When you gain the ability to summon your celestial companion, and your character level is 18 or more, the weapon(s) become +3. It gain true sight up to 60ft and can communicate telepathically with it’s weilder. While attuned to this/those artifact, you gain +1 bonus to AC.

Wild senses : Time spent with druids in the wild made an impression that cannot be denied by the Chosen. The Chosen gains expertise in perception and stealth if the Chosen is proficient. If not, the Chosen simply gains the proficiency without the expertise.

Weapon of the light : As an action, the Chosen weapon(s) become "holy" for 1 minute. This ability can be used a number of time equal to your charisma mod per short rest. An "holy" weapon deals 1d4 additional radiant damage and also shed dim light in a 30 foot radius. A hit against an evil being have a critical range of 18-20 and deal 2d4 additional radiant damage instead.

Protector’s Aura : Hostile creature consider the area around the Chosen as difficult terrain. Also, hostile creatures cannot benefit from the disengage action. The Chosen aura is a 10 foot radius centered on the Chosen. This feature can be used as an action and last for one minute. A Chosen of the Wild may use this feature a number of time equal to his charisma modifier per long rest.

Celestial companion : Your time serving as a protector of the wild have been notice by the druid circle. As long as you continue to protect the circle, you are blessed by a celestial companion. The celestial companion is a warhorse who is considered a celestial beast. It can be summon as an action and will appear by your side. The celestial companion is immune to exhaustion effect though he still must rest at least 8 hours a day.

Prestige Class : Chosen of the Wild

Prerequisite :

Alignment : Any good
Character level 5
Must not be able to cast a spell Must accept to lose the ability to cast spell's
Charisma 13
Special task : A druid must ask his circle to make the warrior an honorary member. If accepted, the warrior go through a consecration ritual becoming a Chosen of the Wild. The ritual end with the gift of a weapon or a set of weapon meant to protect the wild and the circle.

Class features
As a Choosen of the Wild, you gain the following class feature

Hit Dice : 1d10 Per Chosen of the Wild level
Hit Points Per Level: 1d10 (or 6) + Your Constitution Modifier Per Chosen of the Wild Level Proficiencies
Tools : None
Saving Throws : None
Skills: Choose one between Animal handling, Perception and Stealth

Level

1st
Consecration

2nd
Weapon of the Wild, Wild Senses

3rd

4th
Consecration improvement

5th
Weapon of the light

6th

7th
Protector's Aura

8th
Weapon of the Wild improvement

9th
Ability score improvement, Consecration improvement

10th
Celestial companion

Consecration :
A druid from the Chosen circle must make a magic oil at the cost of 100gp, creating the oil takes 1 hour. He then perform a consecration ritual that takes 4 hours during which the Chosen lay in deep meditation while the druid perform the rites. When finished, the Chosen gains a supernatural ability determined before the ritual. This consecration ritual can be done only once each time the Chosen gains this feature. The effect of the ritual is decided through this table with the prerequisite on the left. You gain a second and a third supernatural ability when you gain this class feature again.

Level + Charisma mod
Ability/ Effect

8 or lower
Holy Sight : You can see normally in darkness, both magical and non-magical, to a distance of 120ft

9-11
Land’s Stride : Moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs you no extra movement. You can also pass through nonmagical plants without being slowed by them and without taking damage from them if they have thorns, spines, or a similar hazard.
In addition, you have advantage on saving throws against plants that are magically created or manipulated to impede movement, such those created by the entangle spell.

12-13
Divine strike : Once on each of your turn when you hit with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target. When you reach level 10 of Knight of the wild and have a charisma score of 20, the extra damage become 2d8. This feature doesn’t stack with Weapon of the light feature.

15-16
Divine Clarity : The Chosen’s Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma score improves by 1.

17-18
Stalker : When you are in an area of dim light or darkness, you can use an action to become invisible until you take an action or a reaction.

19+
When you or a creature 30ft from takes damage, you can use your reaction to have the target gain resistance to the triggering attack

Weapon of the Wild :
A druid from the Chosen circle must make a magic oil at the cost of 100gp (per weapon), creating the oil takes 1 hour. He then perform a ritual that takes 4 hours during which the Chosen lay in deep meditation with his weapon(s) on his laps while the druid perform the rites. When finished, the Chosen weapon(s) permanently gains a new supernatural ability determined before the ritual. This ritual can be done only once each time the Chosen gains this feature. The effect of the ritual is decided through this table with the prerequisite on the left. Those supernatural ability can only be used when those weapon(s) are wielded by the Chosen.

Level + Charisma mod
Ability/ Effect

9 or lower
Summon weapon : As long as your druid gifted weapon(s) is/are on the same plane, you can use an action to have them appear in your hands.

10-11
Thunder strike : When you hit with your druid gifted weapon(s), you deal your charisma mod damage to ennemy adjacent to your target.

12-13
Weapon enhancement : Weapon(s) become +1

14-15
Weapon enhancement : Weapon(s) become +2

16-18
Elemental weapon : As a reaction from taking acid, cold, fire, lightning or thunder damage. The druid gifted weapon(s) capture some of the energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with an attack using this/those weapon(s), the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type. This ability can be use a number of time per short rest equal to your charisma mod.

19+
Sentience : The weapon(s) becomes a +2 intelligent artifact, with the same alignment as the Chosen. When you gain the ability to summon your celestial companion, and your character level is 18 or more, the weapon(s) become +3. It gain true sight up to 60ft and can communicate telepathically with it’s weilder. While attuned to this/those artifact, you gain +1 bonus to AC.

Wild senses : Time spent with druids in the wild made an impression that cannot be denied by the Chosen. The Chosen gains expertise in perception and stealth if the Chosen is proficient. If not, the Chosen simply gains the proficiency without the expertise.

Weapon of the light : As an action, the Chosen weapon(s) become "holy" for 1 minute. This ability can be used a number of time equal to your charisma mod per short rest. An "holy" weapon deals 1d4 additional radiant damage and also shed dim light in a 30 foot radius. A hit against an evil being have a critical range of 18-20.

Protector’s Aura : Hostile creature consider the area around the Chosen as difficult terrain. Also, hostile creatures cannot benefit from the disengage action. The Chosen aura is a 10 foot radius centered on the Chosen. This feature can be used as an action and last for one minute. A Chosen of the Wild may use this feature a number of time equal to his charisma modifier per long rest.

Celestial companion : Your time serving as a protector of the wild have been notice by the druid circle. As long as you continue to protect the circle, you are blessed by a celestial companion. The celestial companion is a warhorse who is considered a celestial beast. It can be summon as an action and will appear by your side. The celestial companion is immune to exhaustion effect though he still must rest at least 8 hours a day.

PoeticDwarf
2016-05-09, 09:05 AM
It's 1d10 (or 6) not (or 5).

And alingment restrictions in 5e ?:smalleek:

Final Hyena
2016-05-09, 09:32 AM
Prerequisite:
Must not be able to cast a spell
This is unusual, most "naturey" classes get spells.

Prerequisite:
Alignment: Any good
Ignoring having any alignment restriction when even the druid has none, why good? Also aren't druids "traditionally" neutral?

Prerequisite:
Charisma 13
Why is charisma tied into a "nature class" when wisdom has a more natural link to it (the skills & classes that are "naturey").

Sirithhyando
2016-05-09, 09:57 AM
It's 1d10 (or 6) not (or 5).

Oh, thanks i'll change this

And alingment restrictions in 5e ?:smalleek:

Ignoring having any alignment restriction when even the druid has none, why good? Also aren't druids "traditionally" neutral?
Well, there are not many prestige class to use as an example in 5e (only Runescribe) so i went to see example from 3.5 and thought it would be good.
Final Hyena, i admit i haven't put much thought on this one. True, neutral would make more sense. I was thinking more like "No Evil", the opposite being good, i went with that.

This is unusual, most "naturey" classes get spells.
I know it's unusual, but the idea was to make a "protector of the wild" that's only martial. The "spell" or "supernatural ability" part are gifts from the druids. Though keeping this, i'd need to change it somehow as to exclude spell gained by the race.

Why is charisma tied into a "nature class" when wisdom has a more natural link to it (the skills & classes that are "naturey").
I didn't see a class without spell base on charisma and so i started this class wanting to have it base on charisma. I understand the "naturey" skills and class are base on wisdom, but as i said, i wanted the wisdom part being gifted by a druidic circle.
I tried to take off wisdom and have it linked by another way. The nature proficiency would be a way for the warrior to show his interest in protecting the wild.

EDIT : Oh, and while i was doing this class, i had in mind that it would be a prestige class taken mostly by fighter.

Final Hyena
2016-05-09, 10:30 AM
Well, there are not many prestige class to use as an example in 5e (only Runescribe) so i went to see example from 3.5 and thought it would be good.
Final Hyena, i admit i haven't put much thought on this one. True, neutral would make more sense. I was thinking more like "No Evil", the opposite being good, i went with that.
If you compare 5E base classes to 3.5 you can see the lack of alignment. Monk, Druid, Barbarian just from the top of my head. Adding in something into 5E because 3.5 did it is likely going to cause problems, they're different games.

I know it's unusual, but the idea was to make a "protector of the wild" that's only martial. The "spell" or "supernatural ability" part are gifts from the druids. Though keeping this, i'd need to change it somehow as to exclude spell gained by the race.
You are not allowed to have Magic powers given by anyone but druids. Which is why you are not allowed to learn druid spells!
It feels arbitrary.

I didn't see a class without spell base on charisma and so i started this class wanting to have it base on charisma.
You didn't see a spellcasting class that doesn't use charisma? Thus you wanted this to use charisma. Do Wizard, Clerics, Druids, EKs and AT's not exist in your setting? More to the point just because charisma makes up more of the casting classes doesn't mean you have to add to it. If anything more variety is better.

Sirithhyando
2016-05-09, 10:38 AM
If you compare 5E base classes to 3.5 you can see the lack of alignment. Monk, Druid, Barbarian just from the top of my head. Adding in something into 5E because 3.5 did it is likely going to cause problems, they're different games.
Oh, i didn't think it could cause problems. Though i dont see any reason to keep it anyway so i'll just discard that perequisite.

You are not allowed to have Magic powers given by anyone but druids. Which is why you are not allowed to learn druid spells!
It feels arbitrary.

Mmm, what if the perequisite would be : You must accept to lose your ability to cast spell.

You didn't see a spellcasting class that doesn't use charisma? Thus you wanted this to use charisma. Do Wizard, Clerics, Druids, EKs and AT's not exist in your setting? More to the point just because charisma makes up more of the casting classes doesn't mean you have to add to it. If anything more variety is better.
Mmm, sorry i probably said it wrong. I meant that i haven't seen a non-spellcasting class base on charisma. So yeah variety is better and thus i tried with this. :smalltongue:

Final Hyena
2016-05-09, 10:51 AM
Mmm, what if the perequisite would be : You must accept to lose your ability to cast spell.
The same questions remains, why? What causes this class to remove previous knowledge.
Even barbarian limits spellcasting, only so long as you rage. From a mechanical standpoint I don't see anything in your class that is broken when combined with a ranger or druid compared to a fighter.

Mmm, sorry i probably said it wrong. I meant that i haven't seen a non-spellcasting class base on charisma. So yeah variety is better and thus i tried with this. :smalltongue:
Swashbuckler Rogue.

Sirithhyando
2016-05-09, 11:06 AM
The same questions remains, why? What causes this class to remove previous knowledge.
Even barbarian limits spellcasting, only so long as you rage. From a mechanical standpoint I don't see anything in your class that is broken when combined with a ranger or druid compared to a fighter.
Oh, now i understand what you mean. Mmm, haven't thought about this. Why, is definitly a good question and "why not" isn't good enough. I thought the abilities gained from the class combined with spells would be too strong though it's only a feeling, i haven't search to see if it really would be too strong.

At the same time, as i said, i had a fighter in mind taking this class. A fighter i'm playing with an excellent 8 in intelligence and an even better 5 in wisdom :smalltongue:
He's the most charismatic of the group and the DM doesn't want an 8 intel half-orc fighter casting spell, which i understand. The group as got a nice touch with nature and the half-orc is very friendly with the group druid. So of course i had in mind having him use this prestige class and since i'm new to hombrewing, i wanted it to go through here. If it doesn't work, so be it, i dont mind. If to work we need to tweak it as to make the character i had in mind unable to take it, i also dont mind. :smalltongue:

Swashbuckler Rogue.
Yup... yup, nothing more to add to this. :smalltongue:
As said above, i wanted "naturey" charisma base class so i didn't thought the rogue would do good so haven't really look to the swashbuckler.

Final Hyena
2016-05-09, 12:21 PM
Oh, now i understand what you mean. Mmm, haven't thought about this. Why, is definitly a good question and "why not" isn't good enough. I thought the abilities gained from the class combined with spells would be too strong though it's only a feeling, i haven't search to see if it really would be too strong.
Your class pretty much buffs attacks, combining it with a martial class is likely going to be better than with a full caster. Your class doesn't mesh with spell attacks either so it really doesn't combo well with them at all. Mechanically allowing it shouldn't break anything.

A fighter i'm playing with an excellent 8 in intelligence and an even better 5 in wisdom. He's the most charismatic of the group and the DM doesn't want an 8 intel half-orc fighter casting spell, which i understand.
This sounds like a problem with the DM, if your character had the 13 charisma to go into this, then it could go into any charisma spellcasting class. These kinds of DMs can be a problem as they tend to add in rules to fit "their views" part way into a game.

Anyway to talk about the class it honestly feels like a paladin with minor variations. Yes it doesn't get "spell slots" but it uses magical powers to enhance its weapon attacks.

Sirithhyando
2016-05-09, 12:39 PM
Your class pretty much buffs attacks, combining it with a martial class is likely going to be better than with a full caster. Your class doesn't mesh with spell attacks either so it really doesn't combo well with them at all. Mechanically allowing it shouldn't break anything.
Oh, thanks for the explanation, now it really makes sense to me and will take that out.

This sounds like a problem with the DM, if your character had the 13 charisma to go into this, then it could go into any charisma spellcasting class. These kinds of DMs can be a problem as they tend to add in rules to fit "their views" part way into a game.
Mmm, he told me that to be able to cast a spell you still need a minimum of intel even if the spells are base on something else than intel.

Anyway to talk about the class it honestly feels like a paladin with minor variations. Yes it doesn't get "spell slots" but it uses magical powers to enhance its weapon attacks.
Yeah i also had the same feel at some point. I've never played druid/paladin with my DM because his view on them is strict. I prefer to gain more experience in RP and DnD before i try them so i'm making this class so i can also forfeit the "strictiness (?)" the paladin class have. It's the first time i make a character that doesn't have spells, it feels strange, fun, but strange :smalltongue:

Mmm, mechanically speaking, do you see any problems for balance?

Final Hyena
2016-05-09, 12:48 PM
Mmm, he told me that to be able to cast a spell you still need a minimum of intel even if the spells are base on something else than intel.
Tell him you'll give him £1000 if he can point that rule out in the PHB.
There is no requirement for playing a wizard only multiclassing into one, you can roll up one with 8 Int.

Yeah i also had the same feel at some point. I've never played druid/paladin with my DM because his view on them is strict. I prefer to gain more experience in RP and DnD before i try them so i'm making this class so i can also forfeit the "strictiness (?)" the paladin class have. It's the first time i make a character that doesn't have spells, it feels strange, fun, but strange :smalltongue:
Your DM sounds very restrictive for little reason. When it comes to games I ask DMs up front "what homebrew rules do you use?" If at any point they add in another one that isn't desperately needed to balance a class or facilitate the group/campaign. I question it, if I don't like the response I leave, because those kinds of DMs don't stop doing it. I believe that once the game has started rules should be changed with the groups consent.

Mmm, mechanically speaking, do you see any problems for balance?
Not sure, I was mostly looking at the requirements. I'm a bit busy right now, (a game of my own) but will try to come back later or tomorrow.

Final Hyena
2016-05-09, 04:01 PM
Consecration
This isn't too clear, are you forced to get the power you are at a valid level for or can you choose?
Divine Strike and Unknown 19+ are much better than the rest.

Looking over the entire thing I think it's a bit weak. The only exception is being a pure fighter and level dipping to get Divine Strike.

Sirithhyando
2016-05-09, 05:25 PM
Consecration
This isn't too clear, are you forced to get the power you are at a valid level for or can you choose?
Divine Strike and Unknown 19+ are much better than the rest.

Looking over the entire thing I think it's a bit weak. The only exception is being a pure fighter and level dipping to get Divine Strike.

It's "Level + Charisma mod", which mean that at best on the first level you can get it, you have between 7 (Level 6 + 1 charisma mod) and 11.
And no, it's a choice between what you are strong enough to get.

Mmm, i was scared of doing something too strong to be honest.

Divine Strike is meant to be stronger than the first 2 though now i feel it's too strong considering you could get it at level 7. I meant it to scale when you max out so i wanted to have it available sooner. Mmm, maybe put it as 1d6 at first and scale to 1d10 at max? 2d6 with a crit would be too much i think.

Mmm, too weak lol i really didn't think that would happen. :smalltongue:

What if i switch Divine Clarity to 19+ and change it to Divine Self and give +1 to all stats instead? Would it have a strong enough feel to it? At 19+, with a +5 charisma mod you'd need to be at a minimum of level 14 to get this.

Mmm i didn't think about it at first but now i see that at best, with 10 level of Chosen and 10 of anything else but fighter, you'd still have only 5 ASI. I was thinking that putting ASI each 3 level would already be stronger... What if i keep it each 3 level but start it at level 1? I'd have to modify the class table as to have something every level, but if it can do the trick, i'll put what i have already in spoiler and do another draft.

Sirithhyando
2016-05-12, 07:55 AM
Tweaked the class a little.
Can i get some feedback?