PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Immunity - How Do I Get it?

Andorn
2016-05-09, 09:06 AM
OK, I'm looking for ways to get sonic immunity. These are the ones I know about:

1) silence spell.
2) energy immunity, lasts 24 hours, 7th wizard spell.
3) Swift Wing(9), with Battle Dragon or Emerald Dragon affinity.
4) Create bloodline levels for those dragons, get immunity at level 20.
5) NPC Unique Abilities from DMG2 (page 157), Dragon-Touched gives immunity to an energy type.

EDIT

6) Fleshwarper level 2, elder secret - Secret of the Destrachan.
7) Dragon Disciple level 10, apotheosis, gains half-dragon template.
8) Add Howling and Pyroclastic dragons to the list of dragon affinities or bloodline levels.
9) gheden with troll-blooded feat (on some worlds, not mine).
10) Pathfinder Summoner level 10: Aspect ability allows 2 evolution points, enough for one type of energy immunity.
11) Pathfinder Synthesist: level 1: Eidolon has enough evolution points for one energy immunity. By level 7, eidolon has enough evo points for 5 immunities.

Honorable mention to Pathfinder Maestro Bloodline. However, I'm not using that system in my world, I'm using bloodline levels from UA. Characters are required to construct a family tree going back several generations at character creation time, so I know what's what.

So, what other ways are there?

khadgar567
2016-05-09, 09:14 AM
infamous Synthesist with immunity evo

Andorn
2016-05-09, 09:21 AM
infamous Synthesist with immunity evo

Never heard of it, can't find it with google, can you provide a reference?

khadgar567
2016-05-09, 09:25 AM

pathfinder d20 under summoner but I advice you to be carefull because any dm that hears the class name gets murderous rage on you

Snowbluff
2016-05-09, 09:25 AM
It's PF. :s
Eidolon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/eidolons)
Synthesist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo---summoner-archetypes/synthesist)

Inevitability
2016-05-09, 01:56 PM
A 10th-level sonokineticist is immune to sonic.

Geddy2112
2016-05-09, 02:06 PM
The mastero sorcerer bloodline from PF gets sonic immunity as part of its capstone. Too bad the bloodline is hot garbage.

Troacctid
2016-05-09, 02:13 PM
Immunity to sonic damage and immunity to sonic attacks are technically different things. Are you just after the former?

ShurikVch
2016-05-09, 02:13 PM
Half-Dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm) template with Battle, Emerald, Howling, or Pyroclastic dragons; Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/dragonDisciple.htm) PrC; Savage Progression (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a)

Gallowglass
2016-05-09, 02:26 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9Azp07848pbkVyLGVkv-5lpwJIZ9EYKoSZWpncMwgxEqVwizEIA

Malimar
2016-05-09, 02:30 PM
A second-level Fleshwarper can take the Secret of the Destrachan for their Elder Secret, which grants sonic immunity.

SorenKnight
2016-05-09, 06:17 PM
pathfinder d20 under summoner but I advice you to be carefull because any dm that hears the class name gets murderous rage on you

I'd note that the Synthesist is actually more balanced than the base class its adjusting, but that's almost like saying a fighter is better than a monk. Technically true, but still misleading.

Andorn
2016-05-10, 04:46 AM

Well, I'm the DM, and I think the class is cool.

Andorn
2016-05-10, 04:58 AM
A 10th-level sonokineticist is immune to sonic.

If you are referring to the variant of the pyrokineticist from EPH, then I don't see where the pyrokineticist gets immunity to fire? The best I see is resist fire 20, and +8 on saving throws.

Andorn
2016-05-10, 05:02 AM
Immunity to sonic damage and immunity to sonic attacks are technically different things. Are you just after the former?

I'm after immunity to all sonic damage (and any subsidiary effects, like deafness, stunning, etc, that may result from sound).

Oh, and a template would be fine, if it doesn't change race or type (adding a subtype is okay).

Andorn
2016-05-10, 05:05 AM
Half-Dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm) template with Battle, Emerald, Howling, or Pyroclastic dragons; Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/dragonDisciple.htm) PrC; Savage Progression (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a)

Well, that works, but it takes one more level than Swift Wing, plus it changes the character's race to half-dragon. I guess I should have specified that was highly undesirable.

Andorn
2016-05-10, 05:25 AM
A second-level Fleshwarper can take the Secret of the Destrachan for their Elder Secret, which grants sonic immunity.

Wow, amazing find. So, on reading the class, I'm not sure if I actually have to take a graft to gain this ability? It's kind of implied, but not explicitly stated.

Necroticplague
2016-05-10, 07:58 AM
Well, I'm the DM, and I think the class is cool.

If you are referring to the variant of the pyrokineticist from EPH, then I don't see where the pyrokineticist gets immunity to fire? The best I see is resist fire 20, and +8 on saving throws.

I'm after immunity to all sonic damage (and any subsidiary effects, like deafness, stunning, etc, that may result from sound).

Oh, and a template would be fine, if it doesn't change race or type (adding a subtype is okay).

Well, that works, but it takes one more level than Swift Wing, plus it changes the character's race to half-dragon. I guess I should have specified that was highly undesirable.

Wow, amazing find. So, on reading the class, I'm not sure if I actually have to take a graft to gain this ability? It's kind of implied, but not explicitly stated.

For love of all that's holy, you know there's a multiquote function, right? it's a little plus mark next to 'reply with quote'. Just click it on all except the last post you want to reply to.

Side note: the answer to that last one is 'no'. Not even seeing where it's implied.

More on topic: Gheden Human with Troll-Blooded feat is immune to Sonic damage (along with every other damage that isn't fire or acid).

ShurikVch
2016-05-10, 08:11 AM
A second-level Fleshwarper can take the Secret of the Destrachan for their Elder Secret, which grants sonic immunity.True, but weird - Destrachans aren't immune (or even resistant) to Sonic, so how exactly knowledge about them may help to get Sonic immunity? :smallconfused:

Andorn
2016-05-10, 10:06 AM
For love of all that's holy, you know there's a multiquote function, right? it's a little plus mark next to 'reply with quote'. Just click it on all except the last post you want to reply to.

Side note: the answer to that last one is 'no'. Not even seeing where it's implied.

Elder Secret (Su): Your continuous self-experimentation in grafting results in occasional improvements to your form. At 2nd level and every three levels thereafter, you make a powerful discovery in your research and learn how to improve your body in a subtle, minor way.

So, it is strongly assumed that you are experimenting on yourself, and that is how you gain the ability. After all, if the ability is gained from a graft, then you have to take a graft in order to get it.

More on topic: Gheden Human with Troll-Blooded feat is immune to Sonic damage (along with every other damage that isn't fire or acid).

I'm not seeing how that works. Gheden are half-undead zombies. They have immunity to fear and confusion. The troll-blooded feat from Dragon 319 gives no immunities, but does give regen 1.

Inevitability
2016-05-10, 10:22 AM
I'm not seeing how that works. Gheden are half-undead zombies. They have immunity to fear and confusion. The troll-blooded feat from Dragon 319 gives no immunities, but does give regen 1.

Gheden are immune to nonlethal damage. The regeneration 1 granted by troll-blooded turns all non-fire, non-acid damage into nonlethal damage.

Necroticplague
2016-05-10, 10:28 AM
So, it is strongly assumed that you are experimenting on yourself, and that is how you gain the ability. After all, if the ability is gained from a graft, then you have to take a graft in order to get it. Why does 'experimenting on yourself' necessarily mean 'graft'? You're making constant, minor changes to your body in the downtime. The class feature is a 'breakthrough' culmination of changes.

You forgot to look at their "Dead Nerves" ability.

Dead Nerves (Ex): A gheden has a weak sense of touch and is incapable of feeling pain. It is unaffected by nonlethal damage, stunning and death by massive damage. This lack of sensation also imposes a -8 penalty on any skill check that involves fine motor control or a sense of touch, such as Open Lock or Sleight of Hand checks, but grants a +4 bonus on Concentration checks provoked by damage.
And Regeneration:

Damage dealt to the creature is treated as nonlethal damage. The creature automatically heals nonlethal damage at a fixed rate per round, as given in the entry (for example, a dread blossom swarm has regeneration 5). Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, deal lethal damage to the creature, which doesn't go away. The creature's descriptive text describes the details.

So, combining the two, any damage you take that isn't fire or acid becomes nonlethal damage. Which you are unaffected by.

Andorn
2016-05-10, 08:26 PM
Gheden are immune to nonlethal damage. The regeneration 1 granted by troll-blooded turns all non-fire, non-acid damage into nonlethal damage.

!!!!

Sigh, every time WotC gives some freaky ability the hidden all-encompassing tag, it breaks something.

Okay, I'm going to rule that, like acid and fire, disintegrate damage cannot be regenerated. I'm also going to rule that sonic damage is close enough to disintegrate damage that gheden can't just ignore it, its body is being torn apart by the intense physical vibrations. Gheden can ignore effects like deafness and stunning, though, that have to do with its senses being affected by the sonic battering.

Andorn
2016-05-10, 10:43 PM
Why does 'experimenting on yourself' necessarily mean 'graft'? You're making constant, minor changes to your body in the downtime. The class feature is a 'breakthrough' culmination of changes.

Elder Secret (Su): Your continuous self-experimentation in grafting results in occasional improvements to your form. At 2nd level and every three levels thereafter, you make a powerful discovery in your research and learn how to improve your body in a subtle, minor way.

Maybe because it says the experimentation is in grafting?