PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Rogue/Ranger/Fighter Hybrid

Pichu
2016-05-09, 09:08 AM
Key (in relevance to build): Irrelevant/Not Needed, Good to Have, Necessary for Build.

OK, not like you thought (i.e. Trickery Domain). Anyways, here it is:

NOTE: THIS IS A LEVEL 8 BUILD THAT USES THESE VARIANTS: FEATS AND EQUIPMENT BUY!

-First, the stats and race: 16 Str, 12 Dex, 12 Con, 12 Int, 14 Wis, 8 Cha; Stout Halfling.
-Classes (In this Order):
-8 Ranger: Proficiencies, Favored Enemy: Not Set, Natural Explorer: Not Set, Fighting Style: Two-Weapon Fighting, Spellcasting, Ranger Archetype: Beast Master (Ranger's Companion: Wolf, Exceptional Training), Primeval Awareness, Feat: Dual Wielder, Extra Attack, Land's Stride, Feat: Mounted Combatant
-Inventory: 2 lances, 1 rapier, Chain Shirt, shield (105 gp of 5d4x10 gp)
-How it Works: Summon your wolf and mount it (because you are a halfling). Then, charge your opponents for extra damage. Wolf attacks, then the second attack (Extra Attack) is from a lance. Then, you use your bonus action to do two lance stabs. If you aren't on your wolf or it is dead, use your rapier and shield.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-05-09, 09:25 AM
Not sure why this is called a troll build.

What is it you're going for? Just a ranger/rogue hybrid? If I we had an idea of your intended focus or role, then I could better offer advice as to make that happen.

Charger and Dual wielding is an odd choice for a build, since you're stacking bonus actions. If you get Cunning Action later, there will be even more competition for BAs. Never mind, they are pretty much mutually exclusive. But I still think this is made pretty much redundant with Cunning Action. The Feat only gets you +5 damage or the option to shove. Plus, since you have extra attack, it's usually better to CA dash then take a full attack action.

The fighter level, by your own estimates, seems unnecessary. +1 AC, Second wind and heavy armor (which you don't use) are nice and all, but unless you're planning another level later for Action Surge it seems like an unnecessary detour from your core build.

Edit: I say drop the charger feat and the fighter level, and get Cunning action from Rogue 2. Get a feat like Sentinel (to cover your Wolf and get off-turn Sneack Attack) or Mobile instead. Or just up your DEX.

Jarlhen
2016-05-09, 09:41 AM
I'm probably being an idiot here as I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish?

You'll get sneak attack simply from having an enemy of your target within 5ft. Assuming there are others in the party you'll get it almost every round simply from that. Or you could go full swashbuckler and get it anytime you 1v1 an enemy. A wolf does abysmal damage and its pack tactics apply only to itself, so you don't get advantage from that. It's simply the proximity of the wolf that triggers the sneak attack, and as I said you can accomplish that by having friends. So what's the point of the wolf exactly? I mean I get the feeling the wolf is important but I don't understand why?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-05-09, 09:50 AM
The wolf can knock targets prone I believe, thereby granting advantage. That's usually why it gets chosen.

Pichu
2016-05-09, 10:16 AM
"The fighter level, by your own estimates, seems unnecessary. +1 AC, Second wind and heavy armor (which you don't use) are nice and all, but unless you're planning another level later for Action Surge it seems like an unnecessary detour from your core build."

The level in fighter is so I can get proficiency in lances and swords.

Pichu
2016-05-09, 10:17 AM
The fighter level, by your own estimates, seems unnecessary. +1 AC, Second wind and heavy armor (which you don't use) are nice and all, but unless you're planning another level later for Action Surge it seems like an unnecessary detour from your core build.

This is so I can get proficiency with martial weapons. I just realized that Ranger gets it too.

But I still think this is made pretty much redundant with Cunning Action

But I am riding a horse, so it doesn't apply. I am riding a horse to dual wield lances so I can get a BA attack with Extra Attack.

Pichu
2016-05-09, 10:19 AM
You'll get sneak attack simply from having an enemy of your target within 5ft.

Actually you get it if the enemy is attacking something other than you.

smcmike
2016-05-09, 10:23 AM
Actually you get it if the enemy is attacking something other than you.

Um, what?

No.

Pichu
2016-05-09, 10:26 AM
OK, after reading the book, I am dropping Rogue. Why? Because you need finesse or ranged weapons.

Jarlhen
2016-05-09, 10:45 AM
I'm still not sure what's going on with this build. The wolf knocking someone prone is a DC 11 str check, unreliable at best and it takes away one of your own actions. So I still can't see the point of the wolf when a pure fighter will do the job straight up better.

Mounted combat is also extremely unreliable as I'd wager that probably 70% of all combat is indoors, no mounts realistically. Also, why charge and not mounted combat as a feat if you're all about sitting on a horse? That'll give you advantage against most medium sized creatures. I mean if it's a larger creature your wolf won't be knocking it prone anyways. And since the plan is to use DW for the bonus attack your bonus attack from charge will apply at most once per fight.

I'm also unclear as to why you'd want to dual wield lances? This is sometimes I see every now and again and I don't quite get what the point is. Specially if you're not taking the two weapon fighting weapon style. The issue is that lances are only good while mounted and you're not going to be mounted that often. If you were small and could use a companion animal as a mount then that might be nifty. But this, I must be missing something here because I still don't get what's trying to be accomplished.

Pichu
2016-05-09, 10:52 AM
Also, why charge and not mounted combat as a feat if you're all about sitting on a horse?

Oops, I forgot that.

I'm also unclear as to why you'd want to dual wield lances? This is sometimes I see every now and again and I don't quite get what the point is. Specially if you're not taking the two weapon fighting weapon style. The issue is that lances are only good while mounted and you're not going to be mounted that often. If you were small and could use a companion animal as a mount then that might be nifty. But this, I must be missing something here because I still don't get what's trying to be accomplished.

Lances do a d12 damage, and dual wielding them allows me to attack on a bonus action. Also, I did take that style. Finally, the wolf attack does take a whole action, but, as the book says, once I get Extra Attack I can attack as the second attack, not the wolf.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-05-09, 10:58 AM
But I am riding a horse, so it doesn't apply. I am riding a horse to dual wield lances so I can get a BA attack with Extra Attack.

Ah well, you never mentioned anything about a horse before. You'll want the mounted combatant and dual wield feats then. And you could choose to be a halfling or gnome and ride your wolf.

Pichu
2016-05-09, 11:01 AM
Ah well, you never mentioned anything about a horse before. You'll want the mounted combatant and dual wield feats then. And you could choose to be a halfling or gnome and ride your wolf.

Sorry about that.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-05-09, 11:44 AM
-How it Works: Summon your wolf and mount it (because you are a halfling). Then, charge your opponents for extra damage. Wolf attacks, then the second attack (Extra Attack) is from a lance. Then, you use your bonus action to do two lance stabs. If you aren't on your wolf or it is dead, use your rapier and shield.

You only get a single off-hand attack for your bonus action, fyi. Your wolf attacks, you attack, then you use your bonus action to make your off-hand attack.

Specter
2016-05-09, 01:04 PM
Key (in relevance to build): Irrelevant/Not Needed, Good to Have, Necessary for Build.

OK, not like you thought (i.e. Trickery Domain). Anyways, here it is:

NOTE: THIS IS A LEVEL 8 BUILD THAT USES THESE VARIANTS: FEATS AND EQUIPMENT BUY!

-First, the stats and race: 10 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 12 Int, 16 Wis, 8 Cha; Stout Halfling.
-Classes (In this Order):
-8 Ranger: Proficiencies, Favored Enemy: Not Set, Natural Explorer: Not Set, Fighting Style: Two-Weapon Fighting, Spellcasting, Ranger Archetype: Beast Master (Ranger's Companion: Wolf, Defensive Tactics: Multiattack defense), Primeval Awareness, Feat: Dual Wielder, Extra Attack, Land's Stride, Feat: Mounted Combatant
-Inventory: 2 lances, 1 rapier, Chain Shirt, shield (105 gp of 5d4x10 gp)

You didn't ask anything concrete, but let me see if I can help you.

- What you need is not Dual Wielder, but reaching level 7 as soon as possible. Without that, you can't use your bonus action to command your beast to Dash or Disengage when you need it to, and you will need to.
- Go for a single lance and a shield; get your AC as high as possible to divert the attacks made to your beast to you.
- When you're outdoors, always be mounted.
- Land's Stride is useless when you're mounted, just so you'll know.
- Defensive Tactics is for the Hunter, not the BM.
- Using a Lance will make you depend a lot more on Strenght; a finesse weapon would be better for using DEX only.
- Alternatively, you can just let your wolf attack; when you mount him he has advantage against anyone in reach, and if he trips the enemy he'll attack with advantage AND a +5 bonus to the attack. Sweet.

Pichu
2016-05-09, 02:05 PM
You didn't ask anything concrete, but let me see if I can help you.

- What you need is not Dual Wielder, but reaching level 7 as soon as possible. Without that, you can't use your bonus action to command your beast to Dash or Disengage when you need it to, and you will need to.
- Go for a single lance and a shield; get your AC as high as possible to divert the attacks made to your beast to you.
- When you're outdoors, always be mounted.
- Land's Stride is useless when you're mounted, just so you'll know.
- Defensive Tactics is for the Hunter, not the BM.
- Using a Lance will make you depend a lot more on Strenght; a finesse weapon would be better for using DEX only.
- Alternatively, you can just let your wolf attack; when you mount him he has advantage against anyone in reach, and if he trips the enemy he'll attack with advantage AND a +5 bonus to the attack. Sweet.

1. Why would I need to Dash/Disengage as a bonus action? That's not how it is in the campaigns I'm in are normally....
2. How does having a higher AC direct attacks from the beast to me? Wouldn't make the monster want to attack the weaker enemy?
3. I know, that's why it's red.
4. Oops.
5. I changed the stats.
6. It is a DC 11 check, and how does he get +5? I thought I got it?

Specter
2016-05-11, 10:00 AM
1. Why would I need to Dash/Disengage as a bonus action? That's not how it is in the campaigns I'm in are normally....
2. How does having a higher AC direct attacks from the beast to me? Wouldn't make the monster want to attack the weaker enemy?
3. I know, that's why it's red.
4. Oops.
5. I changed the stats.
6. It is a DC 11 check, and how does he get +5? I thought I got it?

1. To reach enemies that are out of reach, or to evade when things to bad.
2. Read the Mounted Combatant feat.
3. K.
4. K.
5. K.
6. The wolf already gets advantage for having an ally nearby. If you get advantage through another way along with that (such as a prone enemy), it's advantage +5.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-05-11, 11:36 AM
If you get advantage through another way along with that (such as a prone enemy), it's advantage +5.

This is not a thing. Advantage and disadvantage don't stack under normal rules.